Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battlefield Blunders

From the September 2007 Issue of Military History:

Of the numerous tactical blunders in the history of warfare, which do you consider the most avoidable and, therefore, most inexcusable?

Gallipoli for me - leadership, planning, teamwork, and execution were all woefully deficient. God bless the souls that fought there though.

Comment

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
      Gallipoli for me - leadership, planning, teamwork, and execution were all woefully deficient. God bless the souls that fought there though.
      I would say Gallipoli, one of Churchill's foul up's, those soldiers deserved better.
      Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Would Singapore in 1942 be classed under this heading??? If not then Gallipoli would be up there alright.
        "The Eastern front is like a house of cards. If the front is broken through at one point all the rest will collapse."- General Heinz Guderian

"Oakland Raiders: Committed to Excellence"

Comment

Originally posted by Gott Heinrici View Post
          Would Singapore in 1942 be classed under this heading??? If not then Gallipoli would be up there alright.
          I would think that Singapore would be classed as a very big blunder, especially the 80,000 prisoners, 750 guns and 65,000 small arms taken by the Japanese.
          Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Grand so!! Put me down for Singapore!!!
            "The Eastern front is like a house of cards. If the front is broken through at one point all the rest will collapse."- General Heinz Guderian

"Oakland Raiders: Committed to Excellence"

Comment

Great subject CKelly. This is always an interesting subject, because it is blows my mind away to look at how the soldiers were wasted. Marcus Crassus versus the Parthians is another huge blunder that comes to mind for me. From what I've read Crassus was very power hungry, and not a military tactician at all and wasted many Roman soldiers. His whole campaign was a huge blunder.
              I didn't see the voting thing on the side the first time I checked the link. The artillery article about Constaninople seems pretty interesting. As far as the list goes, I think I'd have to voit Dien Bien Phu. I think the French thought they would get the battle they wanted and would be advantagous for them from that location.

"Get three coffins ready" The Man With No Name
              Last edited by Sgt. Rock; 30 Jul 07, 15:42.

Comment

I'd say Dien Bien Phu.

Comment

Little Big Horn

Bloodist Battle of the Early American West, Battle of Fort REcovery, Ohio

Maj. Gen. Arthur St. Clair , Commanding
                  Last edited by Half Pint John; 30 Jul 07, 13:26.
                  "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

youíre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

I agree with HP. Little Big Horn. In some of those other battles, the situation was unavoidable or the loser was unable to retreat. Custer saw the encampment and how many Indians were there, and charged anyway. The height of hubris and folly.
                    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Kursk, should have been attacked right away or called off as the generals wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by mike brown View Post
                        I would say Gallipoli, one of Churchill's foul up's, those soldiers deserved better.
                        I agree that the soldiers deserved better, but the whole of the blame cannot rest on Churchill's shoulders. Jackie Fischer and the other influential men allowed themselves to be bullied by Churchill. They had a responsibility to stand up and scream "No!" Kitchener wouldn't give Hamilton the support he needed to be successful until it was too late. Hamilton was detached from the action. Actually, that could be the understatement of the year. There were a slew of incompetent and derelict officers in charge. Hunter Weston comes to mind as an example.

Comment

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
                          I agree, but several other WW1 battles would probably qualify just as well.
                          Terrible waste.
                          SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Originally posted by The Cooler King View Post
                            I'd say Dien Bien Phu.
                            In Modern Warfare, DinBinPhoo should be the ultimate curse word. I'm going looking for a good book on Dien Bien Phu this weekend, but from what little I know about it, I expect it to read more like a horror story than a war story.

"They don't think the Viets can get the cannon way up into the hills, but THEY DO!" -French Paratrooper from Apocalypse Now!
                            "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

I don't know guys but the Somme has to be tops on my list. It is pretty hard to justify losing 60,000 guys before lunch on the first day of the offensive. Imagine the field day (rightly so) that the media would have on Gen. Haig if that happened today?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X