New "worst general" feature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New "worst general" feature?

I just finished reading the latest issue of Military History and came across a short piece on Hermann Goering as the inaugrual inductee into the worst general club.

My question is this, does Military History propose to have a new feature highlighting (or would it be lowlighting?) history's worst generals? I hope they continue this. Then I got to thinking, would it be possible for us readers to nominate then vote on future inductees? So many of these discussions focus on the best general or the best fighter plane or the strongest army, etc. that perhaps it is time for us to examine the flip side and consider the worst of something.

If so, I would like to throw out the name Chaing Kai-shek for future consideration. Anyone who abandoned the amount of materiel provided to him only to have it used against him by the forces he opposed seems like a perfect candidate for worst general.

Perhaps we can all have a bit of fun with something like this, so let's put our collective heads together and create a list of military morons that may find its way into future issues of Military History, my all-time favorite magazine (I'm a charter subscriber and still have every issue ever printed).

English high command in WW1
    you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Originally posted by andrewza View Post
      English high command in WW1
      Would you care to elaborate ?
      "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
      Samuel Johnson.

Comment

"Never have I seen such lions led by such lambs"
        you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Originally posted by JimLindner View Post
          I just finished reading the latest issue of Military History and came across a short piece on Hermann Goering as the inaugrual inductee into the worst general club.

My question is this, does Military History propose to have a new feature highlighting (or would it be lowlighting?) history's worst generals? I hope they continue this. Then I got to thinking, would it be possible for us readers to nominate then vote on future inductees? So many of these discussions focus on the best general or the best fighter plane or the strongest army, etc. that perhaps it is time for us to examine the flip side and consider the worst of something.

If so, I would like to throw out the name Chaing Kai-shek for future consideration. Anyone who abandoned the amount of materiel provided to him only to have it used against him by the forces he opposed seems like a perfect candidate for worst general.

Perhaps we can all have a bit of fun with something like this, so let's put our collective heads together and create a list of military morons that may find its way into future issues of Military History, my all-time favorite magazine (I'm a charter subscriber and still have every issue ever printed).
          Difficult one this is. Looking for the best you search at the top of the pyramid, trying to find the worst you are at the bottom. Spoilt for choice so to say. But don't let this deter you.

Ed.
          The repetition of affirmations leads to belief. Once that belief becomes a deep conviction, you better wake up and look at the facts.

Comment

Patton

If you just look at Pattons service in WW2, he always showed up on the scene with an army when the Germans were beaten already, North Africa, Sicily, he wasnt involved in the D Day landings until August when the Germans were ready to collapse anyway. Plus theres his performance in the Battle of the Bulge during his advance to relieve Bastonge, The German 5th Parachute gave him quite the bloody nose.

http://www.greatmilitarybattles.com/...the_bulge.html

Comment

Originally posted by ITALICA ONE View Post
              If you just look at Pattons service in WW2, he always showed up on the scene with an army when the Germans were beaten already, North Africa, Sicily, he wasnt involved in the D Day landings until August when the Germans were ready to collapse anyway. Plus theres his performance in the Battle of the Bulge during his advance to relieve Bastonge, The German 5th Parachute gave him quite the bloody nose.

http://www.greatmilitarybattles.com/...the_bulge.html
              You may call Patton an overrated general, and that's another discussion in and of itself (just look in the WW2 section for another five hundred thousand so and so was overrated threads)... but really, the worst you could say of him might be 'mediocre'. Putting him on a 'worst general' list is just being a bit spiteful of his fans.

The trouble, however, with bad generals is that they tend not to remain generals terribly long to add to their 'illustrious' records.
              Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
              And sorry I could not travel both
              And be one traveler, long I stood
              Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
              I took the one less traveled by,
              And that has made all the difference.

Comment

I could put Hitler on the list. He was a war time leader and very bad at it.

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X