Movie reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movie reviews

Do you have an opinion on whether MHQ should review war movies? To date, our reviews have been limited to subject matter experts sharing the best, latest books on military history. I'm not sure we've ever reviewed a movie. And if we did, should we stick to current releases or go back in time, looking for the best military movies ever made? It would be fun, for example, to compile a list of the five best of all time, but do you think it would be worthwhile?

This would be for MHQ correct? If so, then I vote no. The reason is that your sister magazine, ACG, has already done movie reviews and probably will do so in the future. Keep MHQ for the in-depth articles and leave the "best-of" lists to other magazines. Everybody does Top 10, Top 25, Top 50, etc. for just about everything you can think of, stay with what has been working for you.

IMHO.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
      Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholas Wood View Post
        Do you have an opinion on whether MHQ should review war movies? To date, our reviews have been limited to subject matter experts sharing the best, latest books on military history. I'm not sure we've ever reviewed a movie. And if we did, should we stick to current releases or go back in time, looking for the best military movies ever made? It would be fun, for example, to compile a list of the five best of all time, but do you think it would be worthwhile?
        It is already done extensively elsewhere on this forum, including lists of "best" and "worst" in numerous categories.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholas Wood View Post

No, not worthwhile. Like others have mentioned, I go to MHQ for one thing--quality articles on various history subjects--and other places for movie reviews.

Comment

The spring issue of MHQ is the first I have read. Although I was dissapointed with the front cover of the current issue (Muhhamad, The First Insurgent - or something similar) as sensasionalist and seamingly (seamingly because I haven't read it) falling into the trap of using history to press current US political jingoism, I found the spring issue to be excellent. The articles were engaging, in depth, and there was a large range of topics from different eras. I enjoyed it, learned some things, and was challenged. So, please leave the movie reviews to other magazines.

I may pick up the current issue. I actually went to the book store to get a copy but when I saw the cover I was dissapointed and moved on without picking it up. I think I'll take a flip through it next week to see if the interior is more like the spring issue I enjoyed so much or the current cover, which was a turn off.
            Last edited by Duncan; 07 Aug 07, 20:24.

Comment

Hm... sorry to be off topic.

I am just looking what is in the summer issue on HistoryNetShop. It looks like I was too quick to shrug off the issue based on the cover. I hope it's still in the shop this week. It looks very good.

Aye, keep up the great writing and don't worry about movie reviews. There are ample sources for movie reviews and it would be a shame to lose space to them in MHQ.

Comment

Duncan, my Autumn issue just arrived so you'd better hurry up and decide as the Summer won't be available for long. (Watch out! Achilles is on the cover. . . ) As another aside, the subscription issue is hard-covered and, I believe, has extra stuff in it--an article and some other stuff (I think.)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X