Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Open Letter to Eric Weider

Dear Mr. Weider,

I just purchased my first copy of CWT in preparation for a trip through the Virginias and into Maryland and DC, maybe PA. My son has been studying the ACW, and we are taking this opportunity to see some of the battlefields.

This first CWT copy is the June 07 edition, and is a great resource. My 11yo son is able to read and understand the articles, and I believe it will only enhance our trip as we learn about some of the more in-depth context around the battlefields we visit.

I may consider adding this magazine to my ACG subscription!

Thanks again, Mr. Weider, for maintaining high quality standards while keeping a breath of fresh air in the arena of Military History!

Sincerely,

Curt Pangracs
    Leavenworth, KS

Originally posted by CPangracs View Post
    Dear Mr. Weider,

I just purchased my first copy of CWT in preparation for a trip through the Virginias and into Maryland and DC, maybe PA. My son has been studying the ACW, and we are taking this opportunity to see some of the battlefields.

This first CWT copy is the June 07 edition, and is a great resource. My 11yo son is able to read and understand the articles, and I believe it will only enhance our trip as we learn about some of the more in-depth context around the battlefields we visit.

I may consider adding this magazine to my ACG subscription!

Thanks again, Mr. Weider, for maintaining high quality standards while keeping a breath of fresh air in the arena of Military History!

Sincerely,

Curt Pangracs
    Leavenworth, KS
    Curt, what was your favorite article in this issue? I am curious as I thought it was very well done myself.
    The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

Originally posted by hellboy30 View Post
      Curt, what was your favorite article in this issue? I am curious as I thought it was very well done myself.
      Being a retired Army Medic, I enjoyed the "Did You Know" on Ailing Civil War Generals, and I'm trying to get the library here to order both books referred to in the article.

I also enjoyed the article "Civil Liberties v. National Security" on Lincoln's assumption of war powers and how they are equated to actions taken by President Bush during the GWoT.

Finally, being a computer gamer, game designer and (ultimately) a mapmaker, the article "Make Straight His Path: Mapmaking and the Civil War", on the importance of early mapping shed a great deal of light on mapping history for me.

I guess that about covers it. My son enjoyed the article on the Indian Sharpshooters, as well as the ones I've already mentioned.

Curt

Comment

Hello Curt:

Greetings from Madrid!

Of course I am thrilled to have this very nice feedback but I can't take the credit for it. I will share your feedback with the hard working editors.

Again...I really appreciate that you would take the time to share your positive feedback!

Have a great trip. I am sure your son will remember it all his life.

Eric
        Publisher
        Armchair General Magazine
        Weider History Group

Comment

My sincere thanks to everyone here for the feedback. I had high hopes for this issue and have been thrilled by the early response that has come in. Please let me acknowledge the immense contributions of our new managing editor Chris Howland and new art director Peyton McMann to this issue--and Eric as well. He is being his typical humble self here but the bottom line is he has given us the support and resources to take these magazines to the next level--something we never got from Primedia--and I hope you will view the June issue as a strong indication of things to come.
          Curt--I can tell you from personal experience what a special thing it is that you are doing for your son. The two dominant influences in creating a lifelong passion for the Civil War for me were battlefield trips with my father and grandfather and Civil War Times. Enjoy your trip, and thanks again for the feedback.
          Chris W. Lewis
          Editor, Civil War Times Illustrated

Comment

Chris, the pleasure is all mine, I assure you. Too often these days we take the things we purchase for granted, with nary a thought to the passion and professionalism that MUST accompany the work.

Some people believe that interest in military history, and history in general, is dying. If it is so, it is because many aren't passing on their passion to their offspring.

I'm not going to let that happen, and magazines like the ones in the Weider Publishing Group (empire?! ) seem to have a knack for making history palatable and enjoyable by many people of differing ages and experience with history.

Thanks again to you, Chris, along with your staff, for producing a great magazine in an age when even the most poorly-written blog seems to pass for "literature"!

Curt

Comment

Curt,

I think what you're doing is wonderful. On my blog (http://petruzzi.wordpress.com) I recently wrote about the importance of preserving historic sites so that our YOUNG people will have that tangible gratification of being able to see them for themselves. We have no more important role than to pass on our passion for history to our kids. Some of them will retain that spark, and hopefully pass it on as well.

J.D. Petruzzi
              (co-author of the cover story for the Feb. 2007 CWT issue)

{And by the way, Eric has two great CW mag editors in Chris Lewis and Dana Shoaf - hard-working guys who have really raised the bar!}

Comment

I'm glad J.D. jumped in here, because in addition to thanking the staff, the readers and the boss, I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge the critical contributions of our writers. These guys really do make us look good. His and Eric Wittenberg's cover piece on Jeb Stuart from the Feb. 2007 issue is top shelf, and he's got a couple of other pieces in the works that I know you all are going to enjoy.
                Chris W. Lewis
                Editor, Civil War Times Illustrated

Comment

My son's interest in the period, coupled with my first issue of CWT, has spurred me to study it more in-depth, to include a book review for ACG on the newspapers and their influence and tone during the ACW! I'm waiting for the book to be delivered, and my literary juices flow with anticipation (okay, maybe not flowing, but they are definitely welling-up!). It looks like the time frame of my writing the review will coincide with our vacation to Manassass, Fredericksburg, Williamsburg, and some smaller battlefields. I think this may be a perfect backdrop to fuel my writing and immerse myself in all things ACW.

Anyway, thanks again for giving so much of yourself to the hobby, or more pointedly, the science of preserving and presenting military history to the masses.

Curt

Comment

Thank you for the kind words, Chris - I have a lot of my adult life wrapped up in studying Jeb and his exploits, as well as all things cavalry and Civil War, and the appreciation makes it all worth it!

Curt, it quickly turns to obsession. From battlefield trips and books as a kid, marveling over the watercolor painting of troops in battle in those old books from the '60s and '70s, to a hobby turned mad! I give several talks each year on the Gettysburg battlefield for the Park Service to visitors - but do you know who I like bantering with the most? The kids. Their eyes light up at descriptions of the actions on the ground where they're standing, and you can see their interest piquing. If just one of them comes back one day to learn more, and maybe bring their own kids along, then it's all been time well invested.

J.D. Petruzzi

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                      Berlin.1945
                      by casanova
                      The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                      Yesterday, 23:41
                    • casanova
                      AW 169M
                      by casanova
                      The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                      Yesterday, 23:26
                    • JBark
                      What changed?
                      by JBark
                      There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                      Yesterday, 18:54
                    Working...
                    X