Bring back the "Blue Laws"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bring back the "Blue Laws"?

Do you support bringing back the "Blue Laws" in the US? These were the laws that essentially shut down most businesses on Sundays, to leave it as a day for family, for rest, and for worship. I believe they were started by the Puritans in New England so as to make people go to church, and I think Massachusetts was one of the last states to more or less abolish them.

I think it would be a good idea. Most people I know complain about how hectic life is today, part of which I think is people having no choice but to work the weekend. I think it would improve the quality of life, and would not hurt the economy.
    Yes
    42.86%
    No
    42.86%
    Don't know/Don't care
    14.29%

The poll is expired.

I voted "No"... I would have to spend every Sunday doing yard work, house cleaning and other "honey-do's" if I couldn't occasionally say that I had to go into the office...

I have a better idea. Require banks and gov't offices to be open on Sundays. Have you ever tried to go to the DMV on your lunch hour? One time I took an early lunch and got there at 11:45 AM - The line was already out the door. At noon, hlaf of the staff closed their windows and took lunch break. At 12:30 PM, the other half took lunch. By 1:00 PM I was still in line.

Why is it that gov't offices (the people whose salaries are paid by us taxpayers) open after I have to be at work, close before I can leave work and take their lunch breaks at the same time I do? Then on top of that... They aren't open on weekends.
    Last edited by The Doctor; 13 Apr 10, 10:37.
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
      I voted "No"... I would have to spend every Sunday doing yard work, house cleaning and other "honey-do's" if I couldn't occasionally say that I had to go into the office...

I have a better idea. Require banks and gov't offices to be open on Sundays. Have you ever tried to go to the DMV on your lunch hour? One time I took an early lunch and got there at 11:45 AM - The line was already out the door. At noon, hlaf of the staff closed their windows and took lunch break. At 12:30 PM, the other half took lunch. By 1:00 PM I was still in line.

Why is it that gov't offices (the people whose salaries are paid by us taxpayers) open after I have to be at work, close before I can leave work and take their lunch breaks at the same time I do? Then on top of that... They aren't open on weekends.
      Gee Dave, I wonder how the rest of the people survive? But that is the price for living in TX.

Close the Mall etc. It just might become a time when the family can do something together. Like sitting down to Sunday Dinner together, but that might mean a lot of Moms night have to learn what those things are in the kitchen.

Do we really need to consume every day of the year? Gee, just think how that would improve our trade balance.
      Last edited by Half Pint John; 13 Apr 10, 12:24.
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

youíre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

There are other models than having to renew your license ever five years. Issue it once.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

youíre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

What the hell do you mean bring them back, they still exist in Texas. It's time to get rid of them.
          Culper Spy Ring (We still exist)

He that spies kills ~ Irish Proverb

There are more leaks here than in the menís room at Anheuser-Busch. ~ Barry Goldwater

"...Ye shall know the truth and it shall set you free." ~ John 8:32

Comment

Hell no. Open doesn't mean mandatory patronizing. Wanna go, go. If not, keep your ass at home, church, at your girlfriend's while your wife is in church, whatever.
            Youthful Exuberance Is No Match For Old Age And Treachery.

Comment

Originally posted by HMS Jr. View Post
              Hell no. Open doesn't mean mandatory patronizing. Wanna go, go. If not, keep your ass at home, church, at your girlfriend's while your wife is in church, whatever.
              Exactly.
              Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
              Hyperwar, Whats New
              World War II Resources
              The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

We have somewhat different system here:

What are closing hours and the weekly rest day?

The weekly rest period

All retailers are subject to a weekly rest day.

A weekly rest day means an uninterrupted 24-hour period of closure commencing at 5 a.m. or 1 p.m. on Sunday, and ending at the same time on the following day.

During this day, consumer access to the retail outlet is prohibited, as is the direct sale of products to consumers. Home deliveries are also prohibited.

The weekly rest day must remain the same for at least 6 months.

Does it have to be on Sundays?

Retailers may choose a day other than Sunday as their weekly rest day.

In this case, they must clearly and visibly display their weekly rest day as well as the start time.

If a retailer chooses another day than Sunday as his weekly rest day, he is prohibited from selling on that day products other than those he would normally sell.

Closing hours

Retailers are also subject to closing hours. For most shops (those open during day time with normal opening hours), these are as follows:

before 5 a.m. and after 9 p.m. on Fridays and working days preceding a public holiday.

If the public holiday falls on a Monday, an extension until 9 p.m. is granted for the preceding Saturday;
                before 5 a.m. and after 8 p.m. on other days.
                Seems to work well enough
                Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

The blue laws were based on Genesis. Separation of Church and State seems to only work one way.
                  Hyperwar, Whats New
                  World War II Resources

Comment

Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
                    The blue laws were based on Genesis. Separation of Church and State seems to only work one way.
                    Jefferson actually did mean it that way...
                    Originally posted by The Doctor
                    "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

Nothing in the First Amendment restricts pastors from expressing their political views... Nothing in the First Amendment prohibits pastors from lobbying the gov't... And nothing in the First Amendment prohibits pastors from participating in the political process.

The Danbury Baptists' letter to Thomas Jefferson

Jefferson's letter to the Danbury Baptists

The Danbury Baptists were seeking support from Pres. Jefferson in their conflict with the State of Connecticut.

Our sentiments are uniformly on the side of religious liberty--that religion is at all times and places a matter between God and individuals--that no man ought to suffer in name, person, or effects on account of his religious opinions--that the legitimate power of civil government extends no further than to punish the man who works ill to his neighbors; But, sir, our constitution of government is not specific. Our ancient charter together with the law made coincident therewith, were adopted as the basis of our government, at the time of our revolution; and such had been our laws and usages, and such still are; that religion is considered as the first object of legislation; and therefore what religious privileges we enjoy (as a minor part of the state) we enjoy as favors granted, and not as inalienable rights; and these favors we receive at the expense of such degrading acknowledgements as are inconsistent with the rights of freemen.

The State gov't was treating religious liberties as "as favors granted, and not as inalienable rights."

Pres. Jefferson agreed with the sentiments of the Danbury Baptists; noting that the "wall of separation" prohibited Congress from meddling in religion...
                    To messers Nehemiah Dodge, Ephraim Robbins, & Stephen S. Nelson, a committee of the Danbury Baptist association in the state of Connecticut.

Gentlemen

The affectionate sentiments of esteem and approbation which you are so good as to express towards me, on behalf of the Danbury Baptist association, give me the highest satisfaction. my duties dictate a faithful and zealous pursuit of the interests of my constituents, & in proportion as they are persuaded of my fidelity to those duties, the discharge of them becomes more and more pleasing.

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State. Congress thus inhibited from acts respecting religion, and the Executive authorised only to execute their acts, I have refrained from prescribing even those occasional performances of devotion, practiced indeed by the Executive of another nation as the legal head of its church, but subject here, as religious exercises only to the voluntary regulations and discipline of each respective sect. Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.

I reciprocate your kind prayers for the protection & blessing of the common father and creator of man, and tender you for yourselves & your religious association assurances of my high respect & esteem.

(signed) Thomas Jefferson
                    Jan.1.1802.
                    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Convenient.
                      Hyperwar, Whats New
                      World War II Resources

Comment

Exactly.
                        I found it only slightly inconveniencing here in Texas, like say getting up early and going to the grocery store to avoid the mad weekend rush of humanity, considering some pasta course for dinner that night, loading up, and then recalling I have to make another trip because it's Sunday and can't buy the wine until after, ummm, what is it? Twelve or one PM. Either/or.
                        Then, there was that time spent in Dallas and had to drive X-amount of miles to cross the Trinity River to get the hard stuff when I drank it years ago. Fun, that.

Comment

I find it curious that people I know who are staunch defenders of "small government" are willing to allow legislation limiting other people's rights if it favors their personal belief system.
                          Hyperwar, Whats New
                          World War II Resources

Comment

I find it curious that people I know who are staunch defenders of "small government" are willing to allow legislation limiting other people's rights if it favors their personal belief system.
                            Easy one. Hypocrisy By And For Sake Of Personal Convenience. Do His, But Leave Mine The Hell Alone Syndrome.

Been known to do it, me'self.

Example:

We have a toll road system here in Houston (thank Christ!), and I believe Austin has one as well. Folks wanted to go on the warpath when the city speculated on increasing the toll-fare about 12% or so to cover whatever it was they were telling people. I was all-for quadrupling it. But understand, I also have DV plates and I traverse the entire tollway system for free, regardless. Nice guy huh?

Comment

"The handicapped just do it for the parking."
                              Hyperwar, Whats New
                              World War II Resources

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X