Howdy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howdy

Just come across the site and it looks like my kind of place. I'm a self-taught genealogist for the last 20 years and a amateur Civil War buff , I look forward to the conversation.

Welcome aboard Grey Rider!

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Rider View Post
      Just come across the site and it looks like my kind of place. I'm a self-taught genealogist for the last 20 years and a amateur Civil War buff , I look forward to the conversation.
      Welcome.

I hate to state the obvious, but everyone is a self-taught genealogist as long as their mother was telling the truth or they weren't adopted.
      Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
      (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

Comment

Originally posted by General Staff View Post
        Welcome.

I hate to state the obvious, but everyone is a self-taught genealogist as long as their mother was telling the truth or they weren't adopted.
        Well let me rephrase that then. I've been actively tracing my roots along with other families for the last 20 or so years.

Comment

Welcome Grey Rider!

I hope you enjoy your stay.

Just curious, so what has your research revealed?
          "We have no white flag."

Comment

Well I have my fathers line traced back to the 1500's in Trupbach , Germany. In the early 1700's Governor Alexander Spotwood of Virginia was offering land for people who could work with iron to start a colony. Most of the men of age were members of the Steelsmiths and Toolmakers Guild in Germany so they packed up and headed over. They settled the Germmana colony in what is now Orange County Virginia. Their name still marks a lot of places , churches , cemeterys , schools , Rectors Crossroads , a CW battle site.

They stayed put for a while , the grandson of the first head of house fought with the Virginia Militia and was on the field when Cornwallis surrendered to General Washington at Yorktown. They eventually spread out and started moving west , a lot to Bibb and Cobb Co Georgia and Sevier County Tennessee. they continued to move and settle , Henry Massey Rector was Governor of Arkansas during the Civil War , his son William was killed during the battle of Helena and awarded the Confederate Medal of Honor.

They finally made it to Texas were we have been for 7 generations. My G3 Grandfather Theophilus Rector fought with the 11th Texas Infantry , his brother was with the 8th Texas Cavalry "Terry's Texas Rangers" and they had an Uncle fought at the battle of San Jacinto during the Texas Revolution.

Sorry , I get a little long winded but that's most of the high spots.

Comment

Hello there Grey Rider and welcome to the ACG forums....Enjoy
              "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
              "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

Sorry, I get a little long winded but that's most of the high spots.
                No need for apology. Some tour de force.

If that's considered long winded you've a good shelf life here.
                Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
                (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

Comment

Well I have my fathers line traced back to the 1500's in Trupbach , Germany. In the early 1700's Governor Alexander Spotwood of Virginia was offering land for people who could work with iron to start a colony. Most of the men of age were members of the Steelsmiths and Toolmakers Guild in Germany so they packed up and headed over. They settled the Germmana colony in what is now Orange County Virginia. Their name still marks a lot of places , churches , cemeterys , schools , Rectors Crossroads , a CW battle site.

They stayed put for a while , the grandson of the first head of house fought with the Virginia Militia and was on the field when Cornwallis surrendered to General Washington at Yorktown. They eventually spread out and started moving west , a lot to Bibb and Cobb Co Georgia and Sevier County Tennessee. they continued to move and settle , Henry Massey Rector was Governor of Arkansas during the Civil War , his son William was killed during the battle of Helena and awarded the Confederate Medal of Honor.

They finally made it to Texas were we have been for 7 generations. My G3 Grandfather Theophilus Rector fought with the 11th Texas Infantry , his brother was with the 8th Texas Cavalry "Terry's Texas Rangers" and they had an Uncle fought at the battle of San Jacinto during the Texas Revolution.

Sorry , I get a little long winded but that's most of the high spots.

Hello Grey Rider

That's some history. Good thing your ancestors were anything but boring, otherwise your genealogy would be long-winded (yeah, my grandfather tilled this land, so did his father before him, and his father before him...). As it is, you sound like you have an interesting family history.

Glad to see you aboard. Hope you enjoy your ride here.

Gman
                  "We have no white flag."

Comment

Welcome to ACG and forums.
                    In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes
                    - Benjamin Franklin, U.S. statesman, author, and scientist

Comment

A BIG ACG welcome to you. Thanks for joining and I hope to read some more interesting post from you.

HPJ
                      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Welcome to the ACG forum...

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                          A BIG ACG welcome to you. Thanks for joining and I hope to read some more interesting post from you.

HPJ
                          What he said. Welcome.
                          History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                          _________
                          BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X