Hello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello

So, I'm watching a show on the mil chan and had this question I needed to Google and lo and behold I end up here. Imagine my surprise to find a forum full of history and mil buffs like myself... I just had to join up after that.

I'm a newly retired technical professional interested in finally getting around to writing that novel / screenplay I've been putting off for a few decades and I'm hoping to do some research on a few subjects as well as contribute to some discussions if / when I have something to offer to them.

Welcome Aboard, Mate!

Not only have you found a wonderful military history site...

You have found the best International Forums Community on the entire Cyber-Highway!

We are friends here...

Make yourself comfortable & jump on in at any time!

I would add:

You will find User CP, New Posts & Quick Links - located on the top bar - most useful.
    On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Hey mate welcome, welcome! Good thing you ended up here-this place's a 'n treasure trove of information!

Your statement about history and mil buffs...not everyone is a buff, necessarily, like me, for example, am taking a world history class now in high school and have loved history since I was a kid, reading my brother's Armchair General magazines and Military History mags, and getting good history grades in school...however, school history only scratches a few layers of skin off. I joined to augment my history knowledge from people who know what they're talking about, not teachers teaching mostly from a textbook

You're writing a novel?! Me too! message me, once you figure that out, please!
      "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

Originally posted by Super Six 4 View Post
        Hey mate welcome, welcome! Good thing you ended up here-this place's a 'n treasure trove of information!

Your statement about history and mil buffs...not everyone is a buff, necessarily, like me, for example, am taking a world history class now in high school and have loved history since I was a kid, reading my brother's Armchair General magazines and Military History mags, and getting good history grades in school...however, school history only scratches a few layers of skin off. I joined to augment my history knowledge from people who know what they're talking about, not teachers teaching mostly from a textbook

You're writing a novel?! Me too! message me, once you figure that out, please!
        I always seemed to do well in history subjects back in school and was lucky enough to have several college level options, (ancient world, UK and year long, dedicated classed for the civil war, ww1 and ww2). I was also very into airplanes which led to a great deal of history and a switch from Boy Scouts to Civil Air Patrol. What started as an easy A in high school ended up as a second major in college and a passion. You may end up becoming a "history buff" yet...

It's nice to see someone your age taking an active interest in history given the sad state of its teaching in most schools these days. The study of history is critical for humanity in order to progress and avoid repeating past mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by milbrat View Post
          I always seemed to do well in history subjects back in school and was lucky enough to have several college level options, (ancient world, UK and year long, dedicated classed for the civil war, ww1 and ww2). I was also very into airplanes which led to a great deal of history and a switch from Boy Scouts to Civil Air Patrol. What started as an easy A in high school ended up as a second major in college and a passion. You may end up becoming a "history buff" yet...

It's nice to see someone your age taking an active interest in history given the sad state of its teaching in most schools these days. The study of history is critical for humanity in order to progress and avoid repeating past mistakes.
          OMG I TOTALLY AGREE ABOUT THE LAST PART! Also the sad state of our youth...since when did it become ok to just slack off all the time in school and for kids to become airheaded dumbasses? It may sound kinda harsh, but a number of kids these days (not that I hang out with-my friends are serious about it and fun) don't know any history, fail math (at least I get a C...lol), and on and on.

I feel like I'm way to mature...so I'll stop lol.
          "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

Welcome Milbrat. You've found a good place. It is easily the best and most interesting of the military forums I've seen, and the knowledge of the general poster is quite impressive.
            Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Welcome to the forums.
              ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
              IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Welcome. I am in Houston too. The Clear Lake area. My son is an BA & MA History major too.

Comment

Originally posted by jose50 View Post
                  Welcome to the forums.
                  hey jose...talk like a pirate day is on my birthday lol!

*random, yes, I know lol*

--Hávamál

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral View Post
                    Welcome Aboard, Mate!

Not only have you found a wonderful military history site...

You have found the best International Forums Community on the entire Cyber-Highway!

We are friends here...

Make yourself comfortable & jump on in at any time!

I would add:

You will find User CP, New Posts & Quick Links - located on the top bar - most useful.

What he said.

Welcome aboard!
                    History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                    _________
                    BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Torien View Post
                      What he said.

Welcome aboard!
                      Why does everyone say "welcome aboard!"?! Why not some originality!

Like if a guy's name is Norm, every time he logs in, including the first introduction he does-you have to yell "NORM!"

Or

"Sit down, hang on and shut up!"

Just kidding

Welcome again Mil my mate...mil my mate...say that 5 times fast

--Hávamál

Comment

So, I'm watching a show on the mil chan and had this question I needed to Google and lo and behold I end up here. Imagine my surprise to find a forum full of history and mil buffs like myself... I just had to join up after that.

I'm a newly retired technical professional interested in finally getting around to writing that novel / screenplay I've been putting off for a few decades and I'm hoping to do some research on a few subjects as well as contribute to some discussions if / when I have something to offer to them.
                        Hello and welcome to the ACG forums....
                        "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
                        "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

Love your avatar

Welcome

Comment

I always seemed to do well in history subjects back in school...
                            Me too, though my father considered it not a good career option and suggested engineering, which I kind of did.

I'd advise any child to find something they are really interested in and they'll generally end up being pretty good at it.

So now I have a BA in history- via switching majors from Astronautical Engineering (NASA looked good at the time) to Business to History. And an MSc in Computer Science.

My father was right- the problem was I was left- History won't make you a decent living, but Computer Science will. Both I like and that makes all the difference.

I hope this helps someone else too.
                            Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
                            (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

Comment

Originally posted by General Staff View Post
                              Me too, though my father considered it not a good career option and suggested engineering, which I kind of did.

I'd advise any child to find something they are really interested in and they'll generally end up being pretty good at it.

So now I have a BA in history- via switching majors from Astronautical Engineering (NASA looked good at the time) to Business to History. And an MSc in Computer Science.

My father was right- the problem was I was left- History won't make you a decent living, but Computer Science will. Both I like and that makes all the difference.

I hope this helps someone else too.
                              Interesting I chose Engineering though I would rather have chosen History or International Affairs. My son started with Engineering, but switched to History and now has BA & MA degrees both in History
                              Last edited by Alatriste; 06 Mar 10, 23:29.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X