Is there anybody there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there anybody there?

Greetings fellow tread-heads and others!

I am Charles Markuss, son of a Latvian from Riga who fought in the German Heer, and an ethnic German from Moravia (Sudetenland). I have lived in the UK most of my 55 years but learned German as a first language. I have a degree in Internatinal Politics and German and an MSc in Strategic Studies. I regard Germany as my second home and have many relatives there who along with my late mum were expelled in the great ethnic German exodus from eastern Europe after WW2. The war soon became an obsession, to try and understand how I ended up in the UK.

My passion is weapon systems, especially technology and performance from 1914 - 1973, particularly tanks, submarines and aircraft. I research on this subject for writers such as Ian Daglish and Mike Reynolds, and for the Advanced Squad Leader team at Multi-Man Publishing in the USA. I also write articles for their ASL Journal on the performance of ASL's different armies, I am now researching an article on the Germans. I have posted various pieces on the BBC's People's War site on hardware, and I identify and caption photos of German military vehicles of WW2 for the Bovington Tank Museum, as a small "thank you" for all their help over the years. I am also developing an interest in allied war crimes, which apart from Katyn and the overunning of eastern Germany have been swept under the carpet.

Welcome to the forums mate, your knowledge and stories will be of great interests for us, stick around!

No worries mate!
    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
    Ernest Hemingway.

"We're all going to die, all of us; what a circus! That alone should make us love each other, but it doesn't. We are terrorised and flattened by trivialities."
    Bukowski

Comment

Welcome to the forums
      "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

Welcome aboard mate! Enjoy yourself!

Comment

Welcome to ACG!!!!

Comment

Impressive credentials, your being here is appreciated
            Life is change. Built models for decades.
            Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
            I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Markuss View Post
              I am also developing an interest in allied war crimes, which apart from Katyn and the overunning of eastern Germany have been swept under the carpet.

You could have a lot of fun with our resident Russians Andrey, Amvas and Stalin.
              Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Greeting from Cyberia

Willkommen!
                ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
                ¿Cualquier persona fija en el nude? Slug

Comment

Welcome mate!
                  Historia Magistra Vitae.
                  M. T. Cicero

Comment

Svieks, and welcome to the forums.

Wolster

Comment

Gern gesehen!

You should add some great interest to the weaponry discussions.
                      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X