Hello from La Spezia, IT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from La Spezia, IT

Hello to everyone, I came here mainly because, being a moderate collector in US WWII to Vietnam military uniforms & gear, I use to gather through forums precious informations & tips to compensate my abysmal ignorance in the matters that passionate me so much. My main interest is the evolution stages of USGI gear from War involvement in 1941 to the end of Vietnam War & about; it began with the simple fact that I used to wear (mainly) american surplus for outdoors activities & with the old canteen W/ cover & m-36 pistol belt that my uncle carried going hunting: 70 years of though life & they're still there with me. Before that, I was focused on german WWII militaria -not collecting- which I can recognize at glance but still I'm utterly ignorant when it comes to be specific; at all.
    Obviously I'm glad to be here & eager to learn, though I must apologize for I won't be of any help, I'm afraid..

Welcome to ACG

Comment

Welcome to the forums!

Comment

Find any U-Boot stuff in La Spezia?
        My worst jump story:
        My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
        As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
        No lie.

~
        "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
        -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Welcome Lazzaro, finally somebody telling the truth here......I know naaathing.....sorry, that guy was not from La Spezia. Quiz: From where was he...?.......what was his name..?

Fred
          Saving MacArthur - a book series - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ies_rw_dp_labf
          River Wide, Ocean Deep - Operation Sealion - https://www.amazon.com/product-revie...owViewpoints=1

Comment

Welcome to the Armchair General forums, Lazzaro.
            "I have never known a combat soldier who did not show a residue of war." --Sergeant Ed Stewart, 84th Division, US Army, WWII

Comment

Thanks to everyone!

101combatvet: Not the slightest trace left by the Kicking Mule, as far as I know, not even in the War Museum at the Naval Arsenal's Gate, nothing that I could notice; now that You got my attention on it, there's nothing left except some little colourful account like the one about the german sailors returning from missions, they couldn't wait to meet the ladies in the brothels' quarter -I live right above it- just to end deeply asleep even before the very action have started (liquors did take a good part on it, indeed). Maybe the fact that the 29. U-Flotille departed from SP well before the 8th sept. '43 has a part on this lack of relics. I don't exactly know the consistence of Kriegsmarine strenght after the seizing of military facilities in 1943, apart from specialized technician personnel. As I mentioned before, I'm not really aware of a lot of things, even though they interest me..
              but.. ehm, Fred: what's about that thing of a guy who was not from La Spezia? Someone who I don't know?

Comment

Welcome to ACG forums.
                “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
                ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Mack-the-Finger View Post
                  Thanks to everyone!

101combatvet: Not the slightest trace left by the Kicking Mule, as far as I know, not even in the War Museum at the Naval Arsenal's Gate, nothing that I could notice; now that You got my attention on it, there's nothing left except some little colourful account like the one about the german sailors returning from missions, they couldn't wait to meet the ladies in the brothels' quarter -I live right above it- just to end deeply asleep even before the very action have started (liquors did take a good part on it, indeed). Maybe the fact that the 29. U-Flotille departed from SP well before the 8th sept. '43 has a part on this lack of relics. I don't exactly know the consistence of Kriegsmarine strenght after the seizing of military facilities in 1943, apart from specialized technician personnel. As I mentioned before, I'm not really aware of a lot of things, even though they interest me..
                  but.. ehm, Fred: what's about that thing of a guy who was not from La Spezia? Someone who I don't know?
                  Well I missed it driving from Milan to Porto Ercole.... I don't feel so bad.
                  My worst jump story:
                  My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                  As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                  No lie.

~
                  "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                  -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                    Well I missed it driving from Milan to Porto Ercole.... I don't feel so bad.
                    No, definitely, if You were hunting U-Boats. The Naval Museum I've mentioned it's well worth a visit, indeed, for other points of interest, mainly naval history & the creation, employment & development of italian Naval Special Forces, for obvious reasons focused mainly on its historical beginning as frogmen & torpedo-men of the both famous & infamous X flotilla MAS. The museum displays exemplars of the exploding assault speedboat & the men-driven torpedo dubbed "Maiale" (Hog) which gave fame to the unit, as well as the devices used by UDT called Gamma-men; little if nothing is left to document the german presence, except for some weaponry & a steel pot, essentially war trophies acquired after WWI. A medals' display case sports some iron crosses & that jubilation of eagles 'n swastikas which was the Order of the German Eagle, awarded to foreign diplomats: I always guessed it became a cumbersome thing to be worn by some local big shot who subsequently kindly donated it to the museum; who knows. If You're looking for a detailed display of uniforms & insignia depicting the Kriegsmarine coastal artillery or specialization badges, You'll be disappointed also. This town, it must be noted, had always had a special keen to keep a "low profile"; and politics had never lent a proper service to history.
                    As a footnote, I knew that some experimental equipment developed by X MAS/COMSUBIN had been kept secret well after the end of the war, thus never displayed even as it became obsolete; maybe some of the material has been released lately -I realize now I've got to take a refreshening stroll inside- it might be a clue remembering that a lot of toys were kept ready in case of insurgency/coup d'etàt during the hot years 1958-74 (operation Stay Behind and all)

Comment

Welcome to ACG! Bonus points for an entertaining avatar.
                      ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mack-the-Finger View Post
                        Hello to everyone, I came here mainly because, being a moderate collector in US WWII to Vietnam military uniforms & gear, I use to gather through forums precious informations & tips to compensate my abysmal ignorance in the matters that passionate me so much. My main interest is the evolution stages of USGI gear from War involvement in 1941 to the end of Vietnam War & about; it began with the simple fact that I used to wear (mainly) american surplus for outdoors activities & with the old canteen W/ cover & m-36 pistol belt that my uncle carried going hunting: 70 years of though life & they're still there with me. Before that, I was focused on german WWII militaria -not collecting- which I can recognize at glance but still I'm utterly ignorant when it comes to be specific; at all.
                        Obviously I'm glad to be here & eager to learn, though I must apologize for I won't be of any help, I'm afraid..
                        Hello and welcome to the forums..:
                        "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
                        "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

Welcome aboard!

Question: We barely heard anything about the wreck of the Roma being discovered, and I've only seen two pictures to date. Was anything more said in Italy?

-Matt
                          SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky 6 View Post
                            Bonus points for an entertaining avatar.
                            I'm glad You appreciated my hi-tech tin-boiling-pot it prevents me from the sun

Originally posted by Matt Jones View Post
                            Welcome aboard!

Question: We barely heard anything about the wreck of the Roma being discovered, and I've only seen two pictures to date. Was anything more said in Italy?

-Matt
                            Hello, I'm sorry, at a first glance I guess nothing more but what You could have found by Yourself on the net (yup, two pics two ), yet if You have some particular question I could browse italian articles, although nothing special it's been said nor shown here at the base of High Thyrrenian Admiralty's HQ (or what it's left of it). As I mentioned before, the legacy of history had always had to give way to politics, here.
                            As for back then, although my grandfather, a navy NCO (PT instructor) and a staunch royalist, was personally committed in the early choice to follow the king & not to hand down the fleet to the germans, he was dispatched early to La Maddalena & therefore not took part of the famous convoy; he was yet in Sardinia as the Roma was sank down.
                            I apologize, I'll take a walk to the museum, anyway, as soon as I'll have a bit of time, to see if they have updated the matter somehow (quite unlikely: )

Thanks to all,

Laz

Comment

Welcome to the site.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X