Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

One other note I have seen a lot is theme/color related items. I know this is important to all of you but at the moment the most important thing was getting you back a functioning forum with as many features I can get you back from before.

Theme/color is something we can change but it the moment I do not have the time and resources to fix all of the issue and design the site. I did do some theme updates yesterday but it is very time consuming. Please just be patient with the forum as we get it back to as close as I can to what you had before.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

Sept 2004 - Hal G. Moore: The Legacy and Lessons of an American Warrior

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sept 2004 - Hal G. Moore: The Legacy and Lessons of an American Warrior

For those checking in from the magazine, we have this thread dedicated to the article found on page 46*. We welcome your comments on this issue's Battlefield Leader, Hal. G. Moore, detailing the life of the famous soldier who led his men at the Battle of the Ia Drang Valley in Vietnam.

*"Hal G. Moore: The Legacy and Lessons of an American Warrior"-- by Brian M. Sobel
    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

That man is amazing... he is just like Maj. Winters... Very Modest and Very Personal to say (friendly I guess you could say) not the calous hard-a** war hero that you always see... both of them are tangible heroes to people.

I like his thoughts on one of the beginning pages about general hints about leadership.. those were good.
    The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

I liked his deals on how to be a good leader. One of my favorites was his deal on why he studied history. Especially history of conflicts that he was gonna be operating in
      Govenour Of Texas and all southern provinces. Kepper Of The Holy Woodchipper.

Comment

Moore has proven to be a great leader of men both during and after his military service. Possibly his best quality was his desire for the world to know just how much his men had sacrificed.
        Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

I found Moore to be a role model as far as leadership goes. He supports discipline but fair and just.

Myself being in a leadership position at work, I actually enjoyed his bio very much and will impliment some of his qualities.

By far the best article so far.
          http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Re: Sept 2004 - Hal G. Moore: The Legacy and Lessons of an American Warrior

Originally posted by Brian King
            For those checking in from the magazine, we have this thread dedicated to the article found on page 46*. We welcome your comments on this issue's Battlefield Leader, Hal. G. Moore, detailing the life of the famous soldier who led his men at the Battle of the Ia Drang Valley in Vietnam.

*"Hal G. Moore: The Legacy and Lessons of an American Warrior"-- by Brian M. Sobel
            Learned alot in this article - very interesting and well written. Quite a figure, General Moore was/is.
            Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
            (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

This is truly a good issue Brian. Thanks for bringing the man alive in a more personal light. He is truly a man's man. I am making him an honorary Texan.
              Govenour Of Texas and all southern provinces. Kepper Of The Holy Woodchipper.

Comment

Hal Moore was my commander for two years and has been a presence in my life ever since.

He assumed command of the 2/23 Inf at Ft Benning in the Spring of 64. All of the old soldiers knew we had someone special. My earlier battalion commanders had always been distant authoritative figures. Pictures on the chain-of-command board. But Lt Col Hal Moore was someone I saw on an almost daily basis. He was at the Mortar Square observing gunnery training, in the mess hall checking on food, at revelle every mornig and retreat every evening. He was never familiar. He was always the battalion commander. But he was not a stranger and over time we placed great confidence in him. When we left for Viet Nam he had the mark of every man in the battalion. And we had no doubts about him.

Hal expected the best from you. And no matter how hard you tried he could convince you that you could have done better. If I had returned from patrol with Uncle Ho's head on a pike he would have said "Mighty fine, Sgt Hansen, mighty fine indeed. But I guess that guy Giap got away." and I would have saddled up and gone after that guy. Because Hal Moore was a man no one wanted to disapoint.

I see Hal at least once a year now. He went on to be a three star general but to us he is "the Colonel." When we gather we form the old battalion. Hal Moore colomands, CSM Plumbley is still the "Smag" and Col's Nadal, Herren, and Edwards are our captains again. I went on to a field commission and eventually retired from the reserves as a LTC. But in the group I am still Sgt Hansen and I would not have it any other way.
                STEVE HANSEN
                Garry Owen Sir!

Comment

Originally posted by MortarFO
                  Hal Moore was my commander for two years and has been a presence in my life ever since.

He assumed command of the 2/23 Inf at Ft Benning in the Spring of 64. All of the old soldiers knew we had someone special. My earlier battalion commanders had always been distant authoritative figures. Pictures on the chain-of-command board. But Lt Col Hal Moore was someone I saw on an almost daily basis. He was at the Mortar Square observing gunnery training, in the mess hall checking on food, at revelle every mornig and retreat every evening. He was never familiar. He was always the battalion commander. But he was not a stranger and over time we placed great confidence in him. When we left for Viet Nam he had the mark of every man in the battalion. And we had no doubts about him.

Hal expected the best from you. And no matter how hard you tried he could convince you that you could have done better. If I had returned from patrol with Uncle Ho's head on a pike he would have said "Mighty fine, Sgt Hansen, mighty fine indeed. But I guess that guy Giap got away." and I would have saddled up and gone after that guy. Because Hal Moore was a man no one wanted to disapoint.

I see Hal at least once a year now. He went on to be a three star general but to us he is "the Colonel." When we gather we form the old battalion. Hal Moore colomands, CSM Plumbley is still the "Smag" and Col's Nadal, Herren, and Edwards are our captains again. I went on to a field commission and eventually retired from the reserves as a LTC. But in the group I am still Sgt Hansen and I would not have it any other way.
                  Tks Sgt Hansen.

Comment

In a strange twist of events, I forwarded Gen. Moore's Battlefield Leadership comments to my boss. It turns out my boss was Gen. Moore's aide when both were at Fort Ord. To quote my boss - "Gen Moore was and is a stud."

Comment

Originally posted by dpfeil
                      In a strange twist of events, I forwarded Gen. Moore's Battlefield Leadership comments to my boss. It turns out my boss was Gen. Moore's aide when both were at Fort Ord. To quote my boss - "Gen Moore was and is a stud."
                      dpfeil,

Welcome to the forums.............sometimes it is a very small world.
                      Lance W.

Comment

Comments
                        Well you see I was there

This is 13 years research sorry to hit you with

in the movie the only thing true is Moore being the first one on X-Ray and the Bugle being picked up at X-Ray and no he was not the last to leave X-Ray he left on the 3rd lift out and came back. the rest is Fiction as was the story X-Ray part.

Moore didnt see Galloway save Nakayama

anytime Moore and Galloway want to back up their story in a court of law let me know.

Mr. JOSEPH L. GALLOWAY HAD NO MILITARY SERVICE, Training AT ALL.

Who am I? lzalbany65@aol.com Russell L. Ross Edited by B.K. to remove personal mailing address and phone number. I don't feel comfortable having your personal info on the web, and you shouldn't either. That is very dangerous.

Sept 1965-66 SP/4 Russell L. Ross RA17630469 D company 2nd Battalion 7th Cavalry Recon Platoon ( LoneRanger call sign ) 1st Cavalry Division Airmobile An Khe Vietnam.

1964 B company 1st Battalion 511 Infantry ( Airborne ) 11 Air Assualt ( test ) FT. Benning, Georgia.

1965 B company 1/511 became B company 2nd Battalion 8th Cavalry ( Airborne ) 1st Cavalry Division Airmobile FT. Benning, Georgia.

And in July 1965 I was sent to the 2nd Battalion 7th Cavalry 1st Cavalry Division Airmobile.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell L. Ross
                          Comments
                          Well you see I was there

in the movie the only thing true is Moore being the first one on X-Ray and the Bugle being picked up at X-Ray and no he was not the last to leave X-Ray he left on the 3rd lift out and came back. the rest is Fiction as was the story X-Ray part.

anytime Moore and Galloway want to back up their story in a court of law let me know.

Who am I? lzalbany65@aol.com Russell L. Ross Edited by B.K. to remove personal mailing address and phone number. I don't feel comfortable having your personal info on the web, and you shouldn't either. That is very dangerous.

Sept 1965-66 SP/4 Russell L. Ross RA17630469 D company 2nd Battalion 7th Cavalry Recon Platoon ( LoneRanger call sign ) 1st Cavalry Division Airmobile An Khe Vietnam.

1964 B company 1st Battalion 511 Infantry ( Airborne ) 11 Air Assualt ( test ) FT. Benning, Georgia.

1965 B company 1/511 became B company 2nd Battalion 8th Cavalry ( Airborne ) 1st Cavalry Division Airmobile FT. Benning, Georgia.

And in July 1965 I was sent to the 2nd Battalion 7th Cavalry 1st Cavalry Division Airmobile.
                          First of all welcome to the forums.

I don't think anyone said the movie was a docu-drama, it is admittedly a work of Hollywood, with some fictionalized parts. Would you disagree that it depicted the "feel"of what happened better than anything else to cover the era from Hollywood? That was its intent.
                          Lance W.

Comment

Russell L. Ross is a long standing critic of Hal Moore and Joe Galloway. The "We Were Soldiers" web site, sponsored by Randall Wallace, had an active forum and Mr Ross was a frequent contributor. I, for one, stopped responding to his posts there and this is the last time I will respond to one of his here.
                            STEVE HANSEN
                            Garry Owen Sir!

Comment

Originally posted by Russell L. Ross
                              Comments
                              Well you see I was there

I've read the book, seen the movie, read the article in ACG and you would have us believe that all of it is false? I've even read your website and can't find a shred of evidence of your assumptions. You are making some serious allegations against both Hal Moore and Joe Galloway, but you offer no proof.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X