Hearts of Iron 3: Semper Fi Paradox Interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearts of Iron 3: Semper Fi Paradox Interview

In an exclusive ArmchairGeneral.com interview, the developers of Hearts of Iron 3: Semper Fi from Paradox talk about the major changes in AI, chain of command, re-balancing naval action around task forces, and more.

More...

Feed Source

"Hearts of Iron (or HOI to strategy gamers) has set the standard for what PC-based strategy games can be "

I wonder if any of these brain dead losers at Paradox really understand the expression Semper Fi, or did they just pick it because it sounded neat?

Semper Fi for anyone stupid enough to buy this not even worthy of a free download offal.

Reading that interview made me want to vomit.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

I haven't tried it yet. How did the game play?
      If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Originally posted by Freightshaker View Post
        I haven't tried it yet. How did the game play?
        Since for some reason I am unable to pay to Digital River from Russia, even with pay pay I can't get any Matrix Games, so I can't get Battles from the Bulge yet, and Gamer's Gate works, I said what the hell and picked up HOI3 and Semper Fi.

I have to say (even though LB HATES Paradox and makes no bones about it) he is maybe close to being spot on on this one.

Semper Fi's developer diaries touted a better Pacific war and a focus on making it work better. Only problem is, EVERY game I have played Japan has joined the SOVIET faction not the Axis. Kind of hard to have a Pacific war when Japan is fighting the Germans and somewhat allied with the USA.

After reading the Paradox forums this seems to be happening to everyone, also Italy more often than not joins the Allies. The solution is said to be changing the starting victory conditions, but it doesn't help. They screwed up the influence variables or something.

Most games go with Japan bogged down in China allied with the Soviet Union with no dreams of Pacific Expansion, with Italy invading Germany through Austria.

Maybe they fixed the AI's ability to attack and coordinate invasions, but with 85% of the time Japan and Italy not joining the Axis it kind of makes it a game breaker for me.

It could have the best AI ever created to simulate combat, but if I only ever have to deal with one front as an allied commander, or get no help as the Axis I can't enjoy it. Period.
        Кто там?
        Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
        Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

Comment

It's not the fault of the AI either. It's the fault of programmers that just don't understand that wargames are NOT just code.

If you give a country X number of choices, it's just going to pick the best choice from a mathematical viewpoint. Wargames are not just mathematical equations.

Somewhere along the way, Semper Fi has become the best possible name they could have chosen, for me. Because now I don't even need to ridicule this worthless company's worthless product, I just need to reference the name. Semper Fi all you misguided fools that have allowed this misguided company to utter totally ridiculous claims to the effect they have ever done any right ever at all.

HoI whatever number whatever name is ****. It's not even in the same league as Axis and Allies.

Frankly, the number of people claiming they liked this game, is depressing.
          Depressing, because in 1970, these gamers would get eaten alive by REAL wargamers that actually would be in a position to tell you what a great wargame looked like.

The travesty that is HoI, has never even come within sighting distance of games like Advanced Third Reich, a simulation of real grand strategy.
          Real time at the grand strategy level, puuuulllllllease.
          The entire premise of the design is worthless.

HoI has been and remains, for me, the pinnacle of wasted bandwith.
          I'm not just hating on HoI here, I TRULY mean it when I say, I can't recall a more worthless wargaming experience.

Even as totally arcady as it was, Panzer Elite Action was a better use of money.

Semper Fi will be the best possible laugh at all the suckers (you are suckers) that have allowed Paradox to come to the mistaken conclusion their games are worth anything.

And they are not helping wargaming by releasing garbage so buggy, that a year later the only way they can get stock out the door is to almost give it away. This is only leading wargamers with no clue, to think wargames are only worth what you can pay to get Hearts of Iron package deals.
          It's no wonder people had issues with Command Ops Battles from the Bulge at 80 some dollars.

Ya it's not easy to find 80 bucks. I think I even over spent myself in the month of May. But the difference being, I have a great game in Command Ops Battles from the Bulge. I won't regret the purchase, I will just have to tone down the spending for a couple of months.
          Generals Edition over at Matrix Games, for the benefit of 4 of Steel Panthers Mega Campaigns, built for a game more than a decade old, is better spending.
          As brutally hard as it is was to afford, War in the Pacific at 80 bucks, is what a REAL game of grand strategy looks like.

Not this HoI filth.

I regret buying WitP ONLY because it was MORE game than I was prepared for.

But for those insisting they like to play some dumb game where they can play some impossible never happened nation and pretend that history has zero worth,and end up with totally impossible to justify results, I have really only one question.

Why pick worthless excuse buggy piece of garbage, when the gaming industry has plenty of properly made FANTASY games where you get to take an insignificant minor country and build it up till you are in control of the world?
          If you want to play Civilization in real time, why play a useless pathetic attempt at WW2 instead?
          Why not just play something like Age of Empires or any other world building conquering real time game that isn't useless buggy garbage?

I think from now, on, when someone says ANYTHING to complain or whine about ANY of the HoI product line up, I'm just going to type ....

Semper Fi sucker

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
            I have to say (even though LB HATES Paradox and makes no bones about it) he is maybe close to being spot on on this one.
            That's unfortunate since the ideas behind the game have promise.

Comment

Having owned and still play Paradox Games, I will say that in the end, the vanilla version of any paradox game I have ever played was empty, no matter how many patches there were. I was particularly cheesed at Crusader Kings which is a TOTAL sandbox game, one I found impossible to play for numerous reasons. I had to change my king's culture of Mongol to make it any fun at all.

The FAN mods, however as where those games can truly shine. The best EUII mod: Mongolian Empire, followed by the AGCEEP.

That said, I did not like HOI II at all. Not only did the AI suck (apparently Flames of War fixed that) but I couldn't get the AI to perform air strikes. In ended up building no air force other than fighters to deny air supremacy, and even then the planes would be dicking around near Massnicht when I needed them in the Ardennes!

My computer is ancient right now, so I have no reason to buy HOI III even if I wanted to. I am looking forward to Victoria II, cause maybe by the time I can afford a new computer, the bugs will be fixed!
              How many Allied tanks it would take to destroy a Maus?
              275. Because that's how many shells there are in the Maus. Then it could probably crush some more until it ran out of gas. - Surfinbird

Comment

I've been playing Arsenal of Democracy lately.

Most of the time I play until the outbreak of war just to try different organizations and such. I did the same thing when I played ASL; spend the day setting up a battalion on each side on a 6-8 board layout just to take it all down.

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
                  It's not the fault of the AI either. It's the fault of programmers that just don't understand that wargames are NOT just code.

If you give a country X number of choices, it's just going to pick the best choice from a mathematical viewpoint. Wargames are not just mathematical equations.

Somewhere along the way, Semper Fi has become the best possible name they could have chosen, for me. Because now I don't even need to ridicule this worthless company's worthless product, I just need to reference the name. Semper Fi all you misguided fools that have allowed this misguided company to utter totally ridiculous claims to the effect they have ever done any right ever at all.

HoI whatever number whatever name is ****. It's not even in the same league as Axis and Allies.

Frankly, the number of people claiming they liked this game, is depressing.
                  Depressing, because in 1970, these gamers would get eaten alive by REAL wargamers that actually would be in a position to tell you what a great wargame looked like.

The travesty that is HoI, has never even come within sighting distance of games like Advanced Third Reich, a simulation of real grand strategy.
                  Real time at the grand strategy level, puuuulllllllease.
                  The entire premise of the design is worthless.

HoI has been and remains, for me, the pinnacle of wasted bandwith.
                  I'm not just hating on HoI here, I TRULY mean it when I say, I can't recall a more worthless wargaming experience.

Even as totally arcady as it was, Panzer Elite Action was a better use of money.

Semper Fi will be the best possible laugh at all the suckers (you are suckers) that have allowed Paradox to come to the mistaken conclusion their games are worth anything.

And they are not helping wargaming by releasing garbage so buggy, that a year later the only way they can get stock out the door is to almost give it away. This is only leading wargamers with no clue, to think wargames are only worth what you can pay to get Hearts of Iron package deals.
                  It's no wonder people had issues with Command Ops Battles from the Bulge at 80 some dollars.

Ya it's not easy to find 80 bucks. I think I even over spent myself in the month of May. But the difference being, I have a great game in Command Ops Battles from the Bulge. I won't regret the purchase, I will just have to tone down the spending for a couple of months.
                  Generals Edition over at Matrix Games, for the benefit of 4 of Steel Panthers Mega Campaigns, built for a game more than a decade old, is better spending.
                  As brutally hard as it is was to afford, War in the Pacific at 80 bucks, is what a REAL game of grand strategy looks like.

Not this HoI filth.

I regret buying WitP ONLY because it was MORE game than I was prepared for.

But for those insisting they like to play some dumb game where they can play some impossible never happened nation and pretend that history has zero worth,and end up with totally impossible to justify results, I have really only one question.

Why pick worthless excuse buggy piece of garbage, when the gaming industry has plenty of properly made FANTASY games where you get to take an insignificant minor country and build it up till you are in control of the world?
                  If you want to play Civilization in real time, why play a useless pathetic attempt at WW2 instead?
                  Why not just play something like Age of Empires or any other world building conquering real time game that isn't useless buggy garbage?

I think from now, on, when someone says ANYTHING to complain or whine about ANY of the HoI product line up, I'm just going to type ....

Semper Fi sucker
                  Obsess much?

Comment

Originally posted by daemonofdecay View Post
                    Obsess much?
                    It was a slow day This was all there was. Tragic eh

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
                      It was a slow day This was all there was. Tragic eh
                      Quite.

Comment

I'm like Freightshaker. I still play HOI II on occasion. However, I enjoy the prep and never get far into the actual war.

After Campaign Series and The Operational Art of War I refuse to pay for the same game multiple times. Is this a fixed version of HOI III?

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
                          Is this a fixed version of HOI III?
                          From my brief visit to the paradox HOI3 forums, I think the answer is no.

Comment

I'm still looking forward to Victoria 2, though!
                            My board games blog: The Brass Castle

Comment

Originally posted by The Land View Post
                              I'm still looking forward to Victoria 2, though!
                              So am I, after the first 3 patches, expansion and mods that make it playable of course.
                              Кто там?
                              Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
                              Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X