Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Command: 1st Louisana Batalion at Mannassas

A few questions:

Do we have to pick one of the 3 options, or write our own?

Do we have to plan for all the possible points of attack, or just the one that really happened (and if you don't know what that was, then shame on you)?

What is the elevation gradient for each of the shaded areas around the various hills on the map?

Can we assume the ability to detach pickets and mounted couriers at all of the ford crossings?

Anyone know the average distance per hour civil war era troops could march using a roadway?

"Going to war is always an admission of defeat." --Jacques Chirac

"In the case of France, you're right!" --Rush Limbaugh

Re: You Command: 1st Louisana Batalion at Mannassas

Originally posted by Joisey

What is the elevation gradient for each of the shaded areas around the various hills on the map?

The shaded areas depict 40' intervals.

Hope that helps
    Take care and good luck
    Jason Petho
    http://www.pethocarto.com

Mapping Military History - Custom maps to suit your individual needs.

Comment

Re: Re: You Command: 1st Louisana Batalion at Mannassas

Originally posted by Jason Petho
      The shaded areas depict 40' intervals.

Hope that helps
      Take care and good luck
      Jason Petho
      It's a start. Thankyou. Now, what is the mathematical formula to determine how much farther you extend the range of a musket or cannon per extra foot of elevation?:thumb:
      "Going to war is always an admission of defeat." --Jacques Chirac

"In the case of France, you're right!" --Rush Limbaugh

Comment

Re: You Command: 1st Louisana Batalion at Mannassas

Originally posted by Joisey
        A few questions:

Do we have to pick one of the 3 options, or write our own?

Do we have to plan for all the possible points of attack, or just the one that really happened (and if you don't know what that was, then shame on you)?

You can make any plan of defense you like. The options are there to get you thinking. You should make your plan to the specs that your commanding officer asked, defend against an attack via one of several attack routes. That is how it will be judged. Good luck!
        Publisher
        Armchair General Magazine
        Weider History Group

Comment

I was going to ask the same question, thanks for asking.

Do our defensive lines (pre-fabbed) start where we place our men, or 200 yards from the fords since that's our maximum musket range?

And is their an 'equation' for how far a Confederate soldier could move in a period of time?

There's a lot of questions floating around, so I tend to think a lot of it relies on my assumptions as I think more in depth than most people,especially around here (my area).

Comment

So, is that an affirmative on our own option making, or we choose 1 of the 3?

Comment

You can use one of the three options, and explain why, or you can outline your own disposition and plans on the map provided.

Just put yourself in the situation. What do you think is best? What would you do?

Comment

That's all I needed to know. :thumb:

Comment

Can one of the mag writers come on here and tell us who won, when the time comes?

Comment

I cant remember what I did. Maybe mine will be printed :thumb: . But I doubt it. Hope so though

Comment

Originally posted by nreese21
                      Can one of the mag writers come on here and tell us who won, when the time comes?
                      Yes, we will defenitely do that!
                      Publisher
                      Weider History Group

Comment

Reader Solutions to You Command

Thanks to all the forum participants who have been discussing this subject on-line here at our website. I can tell you it is very helpful to those of us responsible for putting together the magazine to have this type of feedback since it helps us, among other things, to gauge how clear we've been in explaining both the tactical situation portrayed and what we expect readers to actually do with it.

The Readers Solutions selected as winners for this particular You Command will be announced in Armchair General's November issue which should hit the newsstands in October (or, preferably, conveniently delivered to your mailbox if you subscribe!).

Your support of Armchair General magazine, of course, makes this website possible and is very much appreciated.
                        J.D. Morelock
                        Editor in Chief

Comment

As a friendly suggestion for the future, a little more information about equipment capabilities would be useful.

For example, I believe that the cannon of the time were either not capable of or not general used for indirect fire. In other words, I couldn't use them to lob shells over a 40' hill. However, I'm just not sure if that's true or not. Would make a huge difference in my plans.

Comment

Some may think I have an unfair advantage since live only 12 miles from the battlefield that it used for this months CDG, but this is war. I did take a brief look at the battlefield again a few weeks ago (I've walked it twice before) and it is much the way it was in 1861. Obviously fields that were planted in 1861 are not being used that way now, but the basic lines of sight are the same (at least on this part of the battlefield). Well now that the period to submit mail responses has past I'll post my deployment.

First of all, you simply do not have enough men to guard all four potential crossing points you've been assigned to guard. In reality the most critical points on the field are the vital cross roads where Warrenton Pike and Manassas Road meet and the high ground at Henry House Hill. You know reenforcements are coming from the railhead that is to your southwest and must come through the crossroads. As much as you would like to stop the Federals before they can cross the Bull Run, buying time is more important than attempting to hold every inch of ground. Based on these assumptions I would place my men as follows.

The most dominating piece of ground in this area is Henry House Hill, this is where I would place my four cannon. From this location fire can be brought directly on they Stone Bridge crossing and the southeastern ford crossing. It can also range the roads any enemy troops would have to use if they cross at the Sully or Red House fords.

The second most dominating piece of ground is the heights directly north of the Young's Branch valley. On this location I would place my best marksmen armed with 80% of the rifles I have available to me. Ther number is not stated, but at the time in question it was about 10% of the Confederate arsenal. That means I have approximately 50 rifles. I would place 40 sharpshooters here. From this location they can bring fire to the roads coming from the Sully or Red House fords, they can signal the other locations of Union troop movements to the north as well as acting as a reserve if massed forces come from either the Stone Bridge or the southeastern ford. Their main job is to delay the Union if forces cross to the north. Their primary targets are officers and NCO's. Their opponent is an untrained force that any lack of leadership may cause great disruption. Remember time is your ally, you have help coming by train, so delay and disruption are your goals.

Now for the placement of your main forces. The closest crossings with the most direct routes to the vital cross roads are at the Stone Bridge and the southeastern ford. Forces from either of these crossings must pass through the Warrenton Turnpike cross roads just west of the Stone Bridge. I'd place 1st Company armed with smoothbore muskets, plus 5 rifle armed sharpshooters (to target officers and NCO's) north of the crossroads and 2nd Company also with smoothbores, plus 5 rifle armed sharpshooters south of the crossroads. They directly block the two closest crossings and are in positions to move along the road network to reenforce if the enemy comes from the two northern crossings.

My 3rd Company I would place in the Young's Branch valley. This conceals their location from the Union forces, while also offering a central location for manoever.

Possible scenarios: If attacked at the Stone Bridge or the southeastern ford 3rd Co. reenforces 1st and 2nd Co. If attacked by the Red House ford 1st Co. moves north along the road with support from 2nd and 3rd Co. as needed. If attacked from Sully ford 3rd Co. moves west along the Young's Branch to block Manassas Road with 1st and 2nd Co. moving west along the Warrenton Pike to protect the vital cross roads and then moving north on the Sully Road to support 3rd Co. The 40 riflemen and the artillery supporting any of these movements from their highground.

Remember time is your ally. Your forces get stronger by the minute. Within reason it is OK to give some ground if you can delay the Federals in the process. You do not have the manpower to slug it out . If you can hold the Warrenton Pike/Manassas Road junction and Henry House Hill you will have done your job.
                            Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

artillery ammo

Do we get canister or grape shot? And if we do can I have the effective ranges of the guns using them?
                              O people, know you have committed great sins and the great ones among you have committed these sins. If you ask proof of my words then I shall tell you: I am the punishment of God. If you hadn't committed these sins I would not be here.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X