Suggestion for article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion for article

I was thinking the other day and came up with an idea for a small part that could be ran in the mag. How about a little section every month that features military terms and slang. I think it would be a cool idea, especially for new readers and casuals who are not in the "know" and dont know a lot of terms and slang our troops use.
    Deckapes for life!

Great Idea! We'll put it in the works.
    Publisher
    Armchair General Magazine
    Weider History Group

Comment

I have been thinking of how this exact thing could be done for a while, now. I have the book, The Encyclopedia of Civil War Usage: An Illustrated Compendium of the Everyday Language of Soldiers and Civilians by Webb & Cheryl Garrison, and it's an excellent read. Very funny and informative.
      Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Comment

Originally posted by Jim H. Moreno
        I have been thinking of how this exact thing could be done for a while, now. I have the book, The Encyclopedia of Civil War Usage: An Illustrated Compendium of the Everyday Language of Soldiers and Civilians by Webb & Cheryl Garrison, and it's an excellent read. Very funny and informative.
        You mention your book from the ACW. You could probably have slang and jargon from various eras.
        Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Re: Suggestion for article

Originally posted by Squid09
          I was thinking the other day and came up with an idea for a small part that could be ran in the mag. How about a little section every month that features military terms and slang. I think it would be a cool idea, especially for new readers and casuals who are not in the "know" and dont know a lot of terms and slang our troops use.
          Cracking idea! :thumb:

Dr. S.
          Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Yes please.
            http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Interesting Tidbits

I have a book somewhere in my closet, that has litterally a thousand different bits of info on ww2. like who was the first pilot killed in the war, who was the first man taken prisoner, and that sort of thing
              Govenour Of Texas and all southern provinces. Kepper Of The Holy Woodchipper.

Comment

Re: Interesting Tidbits

Originally posted by jdscott7280
                I have a book somewhere in my closet, that has litterally a thousand different bits of info on ww2. like who was the first pilot killed in the war, who was the first man taken prisoner, and that sort of thing
                Hold on to that book and you'll have a ball asking questions in the WW2 forum.
                http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Re: Re: Interesting Tidbits

Originally posted by dannybou
                  Hold on to that book and you'll have a ball asking questions in the WW2 forum.
                  Yeah, you'll be our new guru!

Dr. S.
                  Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Re: Interesting Tidbits

Originally posted by jdscott7280
                    Might it be "World War II: 4,139 Strange and Fascinating Facts"?
                    It's on my bookshelf.

There are some questions as to it's accuracy in certain cases.
                    Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Re: Re: Interesting Tidbits

Originally posted by Tigersqn
                      Might it be "World War II: 4,139 Strange and Fascinating Facts"?
                      It's on my bookshelf.

There are some questions as to it's accuracy in certain cases.
                      Sounds like a good starting point for some trivia questions.
                      Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

I think so, its up in my closet. Have to find it first. My grandfather gave it to me when I was about 5 or so.

Comment

Yes. In fact MHQ has a similar feature, often with obscure terminology, written by a lexicographer.
                          Mens Est Clavis Victoriae
                          (The Mind Is The Key To Victory)

Comment

Great idea. I did that in my unit newsletter when I was a unit commander. The wives ate it up...now they could finally understand what their husbands were talking about (of course, some of my unit were women, so reverse the roles for them).

JS
                            Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                            Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                            http://www.mormon.org
                            http://www.sca.org
                            http://www.scv.org/
                            http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Women where :bowdown:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X