Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hurricane ate my cache of reference books!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane ate my cache of reference books!

Not sure where to post this. Feel Free to move it if you want.

Over the years I have been asked for references that prove some of my posts. I then would tell them that most of my library was in storage. Well Hurricane Laura hit the storage place I had my library and most of my stuff I could not bring over here. Last week I was told that my street was blocked off and no one could drive down it. Yeah, some of the stuff was junk, but a lot was not! I had tools, furniture, clothes as well as my Library. My Library was boxed in cardboard boxes. I will probably need to get an insurance claim from the owner as well. Wish me luck guys!

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

That's a shame. Sorry for your loss.

Comment

Sorry to read this. Hope you are able to get full reimbursement.

Regards,
      Dennis
      If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Pruitt - Check out some art restoration outfits. They may be able to save some of your more important tomes.
        ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
        IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

That's terrible...I hope you can recover some of it, at least.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

I called the place today. I was told that there was little damage to the place and that the relevant people had been notified. I will have to go and see for myself I guess. I went ahead and paid the locker rent. I have a large list of books that have been listed at high prices on Amazon in the past. This shut my daughter up when she was trying to tell me to just throw them out a while back. I get that my 70 plus Conan paperbacks are not really valuable but the Viktor Suvorov shut her up.

Pruitt

Comment

Hopefully they are mostly intact. We’re they stacked on the floor or on a shelf?
              "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
              Ernest Hemingway.

"We're all going to die, all of us; what a circus! That alone should make us love each other, but it doesn't. We are terrorised and flattened by trivialities."
              Bukowski

Comment

The property is fairly flat. The land is only about 13 feet above sea level. Even if there was no roof damage water could have got inside. I had lots of magazines and old books. I had all the Command magazines and some back issues of some I still get. I spent almost $300 a while back to get the entire back issues of Ancient Warfare Magazine. I had back issues to Armor Magazine stretching back to 1984.

Most of this was in cardboard boxes. I have other stuff in there like a dining room set from my Grandmother about 100 years old. I once had two storage rooms rented and my daughter and one of her friends went out and put what they could on top of my original locker. I gave away the rest of the stuff in the second locker. My daughter threw out some pasteboard drawers I had in there with her sister's underwear in them. There were at least three dressers. One was my old bedroom dresser.

I have the rest of the bedroom set with me now. Grandson tried to smoothly take my nightstands while we were living in Spring. I made them put them back. I kept telling him I bought him a set of drawers which he did not want to take.

Some boxes were stacked on top of other things. I think the old hunting stuff I had in there is now moldy.

Thank God I did not have any of my guns in there! I try to keep my guns where I can see them. I am unhappy!

Pruitt

Comment

Sorry to hear this...

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” -- Albert Einstein

The US Constitution doesn't need to be rewritten it needs to be reread

Comment

Sorry to hear about your loss.
                    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                      Not sure where to post this. Feel Free to move it if you want.

Over the years I have been asked for references that prove some of my posts. I then would tell them that most of my library was in storage. Well Hurricane Laura hit the storage place I had my library and most of my stuff I could not bring over here. Last week I was told that my street was blocked off and no one could drive down it. Yeah, some of the stuff was junk, but a lot was not! I had tools, furniture, clothes as well as my Library. My Library was boxed in cardboard boxes. I will probably need to get an insurance claim from the owner as well. Wish me luck guys!

Pruitt
                      That is awful. I do hope you can recover your material and if not can get it replaced. And that goes especially for your books.
                      We are not now that strength which in old days
                      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                      Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                      To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

My condolence, it is a loss. I dog-ear pages, highlight passages, write marginalia, making a book a reference notebook. To lose my "cache", I would have to give up writing and posting here.
                        Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

That's terrible,

Once I lost few carton's of books containing few very old rare books.

Something that you can't replace.

I had collection of Old British Printed History books from 1850's.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X