You Command: Take That Bridge, June 6 1944

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Command: Take That Bridge, June 6 1944

In keeping with our D-Day theme this issue, our "You Command" article pits you against an attacking force of Germans coming to the fight on the beaches of Normandy. You are tasked with blocking them. Are you up to the challenge?
    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

I just got the 2nd issue yesterday and I have to say that I think the scenario at the bridge is more accurate historically than the 1st issue's attack on the airport.
    I'm still formulating my strategy as I continue to read the other articles. Keep up the good work.
    Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

I'm going with an advanced position

I like option one, mainly because I don't like to be predictable (defend the east bank), or give up the bridge (limited reverse slope defense).

:thumb:

Comment

Let me get this straight: You have to choose an Option and then describe what the troop movements will be OR choose an option, Draw in the other units (1-10) and then describe troop movements? Could you clear this up and soon so I can send mine in on time? Thanks!

Comment

You don't have to choose one of the options in the story - they are there to get you thinking. What you should do is come up with your solution for the battle by putting the numbers on the pullout map (below the map are all the units at your command with correspoding numbers) and on the reverse explain your strategy for how you will win.
          Publisher
          Armchair General Magazine
          Weider History Group

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks a lot! Now I know what to do.

Comment

Why give the readers the three options at all? It would be a better contest if the magazine didn't suggest solutions.

Myself, I would choose option #2, the river defense. In fact the given setup in option #2 is so solid that I have a hard time figuring out how to improve it. So, there isn't much left for me to do.

Should I just explain WHY I chose option #2?

Comment

The options are provided to give the readers that are less experienced with tactics some ideas to think about. If you want to chose one of the exisitng options you can and explain why on your subsmision but i would suggest at least making some modifications to the three options we offered up.
                Publisher
                Weider History Group

Comment

I think I'd have to use a version of scenerio #2. I believe it maximizes the Airborne's resources and puts the Germans in the most defensive position. I'll save the details for later.

I do have a couple of questions. The map shows 3 Renault tanks being used by the Germans. Are they the light R35 or the far heavier Char 2B? I would suspect by this point in the war only the Char 2B would still have any effectiveness. The 57mm Anti-tank gun (the British 6pounder) had a variety of rounds it could fire. Any idea what our force has available to them? Is it the basic Armor Piercing round or the more effective Armor Piercing Ballistic Cap?

The answer to these questions would not change my deployment, but it might effect the range at which I begin to engage the German (ex-French) tanks.

Lastly, it mentions our engineer platoon has 15 mines. Do they have any additional explosives (ie, plastique) or are the mines their only offensive capability? I doubt engineers would only have mines.

I would have to say that this CDG is an improvement over last issues attack on the airfield. The game scenario is closer to history, but one (minor) criticism is that in the airfield scenario effective ranges were given for the various tank weapons (even if historically inaccurate). In this issue we are not told effective ranges, nor are we given enough information (see above questions) to deduce it ourselves.
                  Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Even with minor historical inaccuricies, this has been and probably always will be my favorite section of the mag, it deserves its own forum! :bowdown: :crazy:

Comment

Originally posted by Octavian
                      Even with minor historical inaccuricies, this has been and probably always will be my favorite section of the mag, it deserves its own forum!
                      Indeed... I also hope we'll soon see the Sidi Rezegh "good decision", so I can see if my idea is good or not...

Right now, I'm doing a CMBO recreation of You Command #2, Take that bridge, but I have some point that need to be clarified:

- No tank 'Renault' option for Axis... What tank is close to it?... Panzer IVg perhaps?...
                      - The 2 German Infantry Platoons are on foot or mechanized?...
                      - Paratrooper had 'Daisy Chain' or standard mines?...
                      - What caliber of Mortar and/or Artillery should have the German?... And how many?...

Thanks for any insight...

Comment

Good idea to do a CMBO recreation. It would make a good scenario for that game.

French Renault tanks are available for the Germans in CMBO. Make sure the date is set to June 1944.

My best guess is that the German platoons would be motorized.

Daisy chain or standard? Hmmm. I dunno.

The German unit would most likely have access to support from a 81mm mortar battery, and/or maybe a battery of 105mm guns.

I'm interested to find out how the historical engagement went, if anyone happens to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Keef
                          The options are provided to give the readers that are less experienced with tactics some ideas to think about. If you want to chose one of the exisitng options you can and explain why on your subsmision but i would suggest at least making some modifications to the three options we offered up.
                          It would have been better if the suggested options were vague in nature. For example, say that you might choose a foward defense, and river line defense, or an 'ambush' line east of the river. Illustrate these with a simple blue defense line, not the detailed setups shown in the magazine. Make the readers hash out their own details.

By the way, calling option #3 a 'reverse slope' defense is a misuse of the term, in my opinion. Reverse slopes have to do with elevations, not river lines. I understand that option #3 is protected from observation, but that does not make it a reverse slope position.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback and ideas Runyan. Much appreciated.
                            Publisher
                            Weider History Group

Comment

Given my druthers, Option 2 or a variant seems the best.

Option one splits your force, and puts a river to the back of the forward portion. The length of the causeway would put a retreating unit in harm's way for too long. Further, placement of a river whould always be to the flank or the front. Historically, commanders used rivers to their back to give green or questionable units no choice.

Option 3, though an "ambush" still gives the objective to the enemy.

Basic placement of units, as provided in the magazine for option 2, is not bad. I would take advantage of the small point of land south of the bridge/causeway, that flanks both. Not seeing the actual terrain, I have to make the assumption that a defensive position is possible, even for a short time. Long enough to get a few licks in, while the suggested defenzive position could be used as a fall back, and/or cover fire.

Several posts ask about mines, and tank types, and artillery availability. Fog of war. It really doesn't matter. You work with what you have, and prepare for what you don't know.

My assumption for the mines is there is a mixed batch. If they are all anti-personnel, that is fine. Bazookas and grenades, as well as the AT, can handle the armor. The mines, coupled with BAR crossfire, could separate infantry from an advancing tank or tanks, leaving the tanks vulnerable to the above weapons mix. If the mines are anti-tank, they could still take out some infantry, again with a decent mix of support weaponry to defend the narrow approach to the objective. Mining the near end of the bridge, would bottle neck an assault quite effectively. Especially, if a tank can be stopped, blocking the approach.

Regardless of the type of tank(s) available to the Germans, the GIs have a good enough mix of armament to separate the tanks from the infantry, especially if the Germans try to assault long the causeway. No tank can stand by itself against infantry.

Bottom line, crossfire by bazookas and BARs along the causeway and bridge would be most effective. Backed up by infantry and the AT the bridge and building should remain in US hands until relief.
                              Retreat hell, we just got here. Every Marine, a rifleman.

Never let the facts get in the way of the truth.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
                                Prawn heads
                                by Karri
                                How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
                                Today, 11:40
                              • Jose50
                                Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
                                by Jose50
                                Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
                                Today, 08:41
                              • Von Richter
                                Sagittarius Rising...
                                by Von Richter
                                Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
                                Today, 01:19
                              Working...
                              X