Hastings CDG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hastings CDG

I am not a regualr visitor to forums and this is my first participation in this one, so I may be in the wrong section. Please correct me, I will learn from my mistakes.
    I have just read that the judges in CDG 16, Hastings, favoured the solution Feign Retreat. I am sceptical about this approach, since modern historians doubt that the story of the feigned retreat is actually what happened. Much like the doubtful story of Harold's death, the story sounds like a war story that got inflated. Even without examination of the sources, the likelihood of such an operation being carried out, given the conditions of the battlefield, the fact that the soldiers were not modern units, and the difficulties of communication, are doubtful.
    The flank movement, with some of the knights, is a more likely scenario, that fits with the losses in Malfosse.
    Are other readers perplexed by the judges' arguments ?

Originally posted by Vergennes View Post
    I am not a regualr visitor to forums and this is my first participation in this one, so I may be in the wrong section. Please correct me, I will learn from my mistakes.
    You were pretty close - moved to the ACG Magazine forum where magazine-specific content is discussed.
    "In mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them."
    - Johann von Neumann

"Never in the face of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few."
    - Winston Churchill

Comment

William's Feigned Retreat

The article clearly points out (pp. 51-52) that not all historians today buy into the "feigned retreat" theory, many of them suggesting that, if it did occur, the incident was merely a serendipitous battlefield occurrence that the Normans took advantage of. Some historians give more credit to William's archers for wearing down the English defenders and disrupting the shield wall.

However, contemporary Norman accounts clearly attributed success to William's generalship and do make reference to a "feigned retreat" ruse as a key to Norman victory.

Recommend you read the entire article as it discusses the other courses of action and why judges selected winners and honorable mention reader solutions.
      J.D. Morelock
      Editor in Chief
      Armchair General Magazine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X