No announcement yet.

Reviving ACG magazine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I voted no. I haven't read a magazine except for professional periodicals in years.

The print medium is on its way out. Newspapers are increasingly moving into the electronic medium as well.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

I'd support ACG magazine even if it were only available online. I would subscribe to it. I have a couple of mag issues that I especially like...

Napoleon Special Issue July 2005 and Sun Tzu's Waterloo Issue July 2010

"Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
        I voted no. I haven't read a magazine except for professional periodicals in years.

The print medium is on its way out. Newspapers are increasingly moving into the electronic medium as well.
        I should have really emphasized in my original question that a "Yes" would mean support for a ACG magazine revival, either print, digital or both.

You are the third poster that votes "No" interpreting the question as Print vs Digital.

The question is not a Print vs Digital one, it is just about reviving the unique publication that stood out among the military history magazines.
        Last edited by Capt AFB; 11 Mar 18, 11:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
          I'd support ACG magazine even if it were only available online. I would subscribe to it. I have a couple of mag issues that I especially like...

Napoleon Special Issue July 2005 and Sun Tzu's Waterloo Issue July 2010

Yes I remember those issues.

I also noted that Patton made the cover page at least once every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
            Yes I remember those issues.

I also noted that Patton made the cover page at least once every year.
            I remember a remark somewhere in one of the ACG issues that WW2 Germans sell best in the US military history market
            BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel Sennef View Post
              I remember a remark somewhere in one of the ACG issues that WW2 Germans sell best in the US military history market
              I wrote 4-5 articles on Rommel, so his picture could be on the Front cover. Patton was another attractor used by ACG. I did a number of What Next General and Battlefield Leader articles on German military leaders which, to your point Jeroen, were used to get Germans on the cover.

What did not work is what was called "Sword and Sandal" articles, I believe I wrote several contracted ancient commander articles early in the magazine's history, I recall I was paid a non publication renumeration.
              Last edited by R.N. Armstrong; 11 Mar 18, 15:55.
              Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post

What did not work is what was called "Sword and Sandal" articles, I believe I wrote several contracted ancient commander articles early in the magazine's history, I recall I was paid a non publication renumeration.
                No Tiger tanks with SS runes, no sales.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
                  I should have really emphasized in my original question that a "Yes" would mean support for a ACG magazine revival, either print, digital or both.

You are the third poster that votes "No" interpreting the question as Print vs Digital.

The question is not a Print vs Digital one, it is just about reviving the unique publication that stood out among the military history magazines.
                  I still wouldn't read it if it were digital. I don't care for the 'random topic' nature of magazines.

So my vote, at least, is accurately cast.
                  Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

I wrote 4-5 articles on Rommel, so his picture could be on the Front cover. Patton was another attractor used by ACG. I did a number of What Next General and Battlefield Leader articles on German military leaders which, to your point Jeroen, were used to get Germans on the cover.

I remember raising the issue of the Magazine's covers in late 2014 not long before the mag folded.
                    The fact that I (divine lodestar) raised the issue must make it important as I don't do trivia or lightweight.

Here's what I said:

"I have just visited my local news-agency (the highlight of their day no doubt) and on the history magazines section was a brand new copy of the Armchair General (oh joy, oh glee!).
                    With?? Guess what??

Yep, good old ‘Blood and Guts’ (2 of ‘em no less, the real one and the ‘reel’ one) on the cover. Yet again!!

Now a quick check of back issue covers featured on the March 2014 issue reveals 11 covers in the last ten years featured Patton.
                    Six have featured Ike.
                    Four have featured Rommel
                    All up about 35 of the sixty covers featured American personalities or American related themes.

Look, I get that ACG is above all else a business and that it needs to sell to survive.
                    I get that to sell you need to engage the target demographic likely to buy the magazine.
                    I get that most purchasers are Americans.
                    I get Patton is the most famous of all US generals
                    I get that Patton means controversy and controversy sells.
                    Yep I get all that.

But come on, don’t some posters agree with me that this could be a bit much?

How about lesser known American figures being given some coverage (NOT just Patton, Eisenhower, MacArthur, Grant/Lee Sherman/ Jubalation T. Cornpone)

One that interests me greatly is General Albert Wedemyere the true father of the Germany First policy.

Any other American (or non- American) that posters would like to see on a cover?"

The important thing is a lodestar point was made and the inherent significance of lodestar asserted yet again.

Naw seriously, the over-emphasis on a few personalities and topics probably contributed to ACG's demise.
                    There's a lot more to military history than
                    Napoleon, the ACWWWII, Patton, Ike, Rommel, Hitler and Tiger tanks.

An issue featuring Foch (my avatar), easily the greatest Western allied commander of either world war would have been an appropriate start.

lodestar was called a man with no honour, no courage, no integrity and no honesty. To which he replied: "Hey, you forgot to add no moral compass!! How could you miss that one?"

Regards lodestar

Comment

Originally posted by lodestar View Post

Naw seriously, the over-emphasis on a few personalities and topics probably contributed to ACG's demise.
                      There's a lot more to military history than [/FONT]Napoleon, the ACW[FONT="Times New Roman"]WWII, Patton, Ike, Rommel, Hitler and Tiger tanks.

Regards lodestar
                      The covers made sense from a business angle to gain new readers from the newsstands.

However, if you bothered to look beyond the cover you find Zhukov, Rotmistrov, Konev, Rokossovsky, Lawrence (Arabia), Percival, Yamashita, Harris (Bomber), Grant, Heinrici, Goren (Sinai '73), Giap, Prince Ferdinand(Minden), Dempsey (Goodwood), Chelmsford (Zulu War), Prince Charles (Culloden) to name a few (I know, because I wrote them).

The reason the magazine was dropped by the new owners was the expense in authors, graphics and multiple maps (ACG understood one cannot fight or follow a battle without a map); should also mention the quality of the magazine--it was a keeper.
                      Last edited by R.N. Armstrong; 03 Jan 20, 08:41.

Comment

The covers made sense from a business angle to gain new readers from the newsstands.

However, if you bothered to look beyond the cover you find Zhukov, Rotmistrov, Konev, Rokossovsky, Lawrence (Arabia), Percival, Yamashita, Harris (Bomber), Grant, Heinrici, Goren (Sinai '73), Giap, Prince Ferdinand(Minden), Dempsey (Goodwood), Chelmsford (Zulu War), Prince Charles (Culloden) to name a few (I know, because I wrote them).

The reason the magazine was dropped by the new owners was the expense in authors, graphics and multiple maps (ACG understood one cannot fight or follow a battle without a map); should also mention the quality of the magazine--it was a keeper.
                        YUP.

It was a good quality magazine to leave in the bathroom. I always made sure I got rid of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue with ACG magazines whenever company came to my home.
                        Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Now that's a bit more like! Self-worship the greatest form of praise.
                          That's good.
                          That's learning.
                          That's 'the way of lodestar'

All of the above and dozens more were worthy of being on the cover -either as examples of great military leaders Zhukov, Konev, Grant, Giap) or total duds (Percival, Prince Charles).

When I was young and teachers or other adults asked about my hopes and dreams for the future I always replied:
                          “When I grow up I want to be a compelling narrative.”
                          Regards lodestar

Regards
                          lodestar

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post

YUP.

It was a good quality magazine to leave in the bathroom. I always made sure I got rid of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue with ACG magazines whenever company came to my home.
                            Funny!! I leave a corncob so people won't come to read in my bathroom.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X