Worst wiki you have read.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst wiki you have read.

Most wikis are really good. People do a nice job of removing B.S. which has been disproven and correcting other posts. Now the American Civil War had a thread on; what's the worst Civil War book you have read? The number of answers was amazing. Not as bad as the worst B.S. you have read on WWII.

But now we are in the 21st century, we should be vigilant about our Internet sources. I have seen some where it looks like WWII is being fought again between the Nazis and the Communists. So to what extent should we trust or distrust the wikis? Most people contribute facts, most wikis are very well done. Check out the wiki on the Battle of the Coral Sea. Sadly some seem to have particular agendas. I see this in science wikis, where some things are downright wrong, yet they pass 'that which is currently accepted'.

Is this a call to battle? Do we need to get our keyboards ready? So how do you start a poll, on the worst wiki you have ever read? Some of the ones in Spanish and French have to be included. The pages of which seem to be one sentence contradicting the previous ad nauseum.
    Last edited by Nickuru; 21 Nov 12, 22:25. Reason: addition
    When looking for the reason why things go wrong, never rule out stupidity, Murphy's Law Nº 8
    Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it. George Santayana
    "Ach du schwein" a German parrot captured at Bukoba GEA the only prisoner taken

In a recent World War II thread, the subject of "Bless 'em all", the famous British song made popular during the war, came up.

I went to Wiki to look up the origin of the song and was surprised to read that the original lyrics sung by soldiers and sailors had been "F*** 'em all".

That didn't seem to fit the sentiment of the rest of the song's lyrics as I remembered them, so I looked further into it and found that that part of the Wiki article had been an apparent mischievous insertion by someone.

Philip
    Last edited by PhilipLaos; 21 Nov 12, 23:30.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

Are you referring to Wikipedia in particular ? Or are you referring to any websites which can be modified by anyone - the true meaning of wiki
      The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipLaos View Post
        In a recent World War II thread, the subject of "Bless 'em all", the famous British song made popular during the war, came up.

I went to Wiki to look up the origin of the song and was surprised to read that the original lyrics sung by soldiers and sailors had been "F*** 'em all".

That didn't seem to fit the sentiment of the rest of the song's lyrics as I remembered them, so I looked further into it and found that that part of the Wiki article had been an apparent mischievous insertion by someone.

Philip
        Pranksters and personal agenda seems to be the main weaknesses of Wikipedia. Aside for the hotly contested issues, Wiki seems to be fairly reliable in giving a general overview of the given topic. Not so different from the printed encyclopedias of our youth which included plenty of mistakes also. Back then, one would get laughed at if he referenced say Encyclopedia Britannica in a scholarly paper just the same as one would get laughed at today if referencing Wikipedia. What I find distasteful is the snob attitude among some in today's internet world (yeah, like I'm really going to take a day off to tedious research at the local library before replying to a thread that is going to die off before I can source the info) in regards to Wiki.........after all, most people that would take the time to contribute to Wiki is not going to be some unread buffoon! And said buffoon would get quickly corrected by some well-read person in short time in most cases.
        Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

wiki pages have references listed at the bottom. Sometimes a look at those helps one in evaluating an article.
          "A common thug can kill someone, but it takes the talents of an intelligence service to make a murder appear to be a suicide or accident death." -- James Angleton, CIA, Chief of Counterintelligence.

Comment

But not always. Sometimes references are used that are badly dated when more recent and accurate work is available. Often the sources are the weakest part of the articles and it can be argued the contributors are using sources that agree with their thesis and have little tolerance with contradiction.
            Last edited by The Purist; 22 Nov 12, 22:44.
            The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

Originally posted by The Purist View Post
              But not always. SOmetimes references are used that badly dated when more recent and accurate work is available. Often the sources are the weakest part of the articles and it can be argued the contributors are using sources that agree withier thesis and have little tolerance with contradiction.
              That's exactly my point too. A look at the sources tells one a lot about the article, weak and strong.
              "A common thug can kill someone, but it takes the talents of an intelligence service to make a murder appear to be a suicide or accident death." -- James Angleton, CIA, Chief of Counterintelligence.

Comment

I find Wiki a good place to start-- but only to start.
                Cymru am Byth

Comment

If you think pulling pranks by posting false (or in this case what this guy thought was false) information on Wiki is funny this guy learned the hard way that it can backfire badly.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/ben...624122107.html
                  “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
                  ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X