Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Speech of Vladimir Putin to nationals from Beslan

Vladimir Putin, TV speech from Beslan on September, 4th of 2004:

"It is difficult and bitterly to speak. Horrific tragedy occurred on our land. For all last days everyone from us deeply suffered and sensed by its heart everything what happened in Russian town Beslan. We confronted here not only with murderers but with those who were ready to use weapon against innocent children.

And first of all I address with words of support to those people which lost most dear things in life - their children and relatives. I ask you to recall all people who were killed by terrorists in last days.

History of Russia knows many tragic events. We are living in conditions which are formed after collapse of huge, great country which was lacking vitality in conditions of quickly changing world.

But in spite of all difficulties we could to save kernel of this giant - Soviet Union. And we named this new country Russian Federation. All we waited for changes. Changes for the best. But we became absolutely unprepared to the many things which changed in our life. Why?

We are living in conditions of transitional economics which falls short to status and level of society development and political system. We are living in conditions of becoming more sharp internal conflicts and ethnic contradictions which earlier were hardly suppressed by predominant ideology. We finished to attend to questions of defense and security, we let for corruption to strike judge and law-enforcement spheres.

Moreover, our country which had powerful system of borders protection for in a flash became unprotected neither from West nor from East. Creation of new, modern and really hard protected borders needs many years and billions of roubles.

But we could be more effective and in this question if we operated more timely and professionally. In general we have to admit that we didn't understand complexities and dangers of processes which take place in our own country and in the world. At any rate we couldn't to react adequately on these processes. We showed our weakness. But weak are beaten.

Someones want to tear titbit away from our country, other ones help for those ones. And they helped for those ones because they suppose Russia is still threat for them as one of most powerful Nuclear Powers. So they want to remove this threat. And, of course, terrorism is only instrument for these purposes.

I spoke for many times before that we often clashed with crisises, mutinies, terrorist acts. But events which occurred in last time are inhuman, unexampled brutal crime of terrorists. It is not challenge to president, parliament or government. It is challenge to all Russia, to all Russian people. It is aggression against our country.

Terrorists suppose that they are stronger than we. They suppose that they are able to intimidate us by their cruelty, that they are able top paralyze our will and to corrupt our society. And it looks like we have choice - to repulse or to agree to their claims, to surrender, to let them to destroy and to separate Russia in hope that at long last they will leave us alone.

As president, as head of Russian state, as man who sweared to protect country and her territorial integrity, as citizen of Russia I am sure that we have no such choice. If we shall let to blackmail us and will panic it will be beginning of series of bloody conflicts like in Karabakh, Eastern Moldova and other places. It is clearly for me.

We deal not with single frightening actions, not with alone terrorist actions. We deal with direct intervention if international terrorism against Russia. We deal with total, cruel, full scale war which is reason of new deaths of our citizens again and again.

All world experience shows that unfortunally such wars do not finish soon. In such conditions we have no to live so light-heartedly like we did it earlier.

We have to make more effective security system, we have to demand from our law-enforcement services those actions which are appropriate to level and scale of new threats.

But main thing is mobilization of nation before total danger. Events in other countries show that terrorists are repulsed in those cases when they clash not only with might of state but also with well-organized combined civil society.

Nationals!

Those ones who sent terrorists for this horrific crime had task to set on to fight our peoples, to intimidate citizens of Russia, to begin bloody ethnic conflict on Northern Caucasus. So I want to say following:

First, we shall prepare complex of actions for fortifying of unity of country.

Secondly, I suppose that it is necessary to make new system of cooperation of forces and tools which control situation on Northern Caucasus.

Thirdly, It is necessary to make effective antirecessionary management system including new decisions in sphere of law-enforcement services.

I want to add that all these efforts will be made under the constitution of country.

Dear friends!

We have very difficult, mournful hours now. And I want to thank everyone who shows self-restrain and civil liability. We were and will be later stronger than they because we are stronger in our morals, courage, human solidarity. And I saw it this night.

People more cared and supported each other in Beslan which is literally sodden by grief and pain. And they were not afraid to risk their lives for life and rest of others.

They stayed humans in inhuman conditions. It is impossible to put up with pain of losses. But cross bringed us together, forced us to revalue many things.

We have to be together today. It is alone way to win our enemy”

Thanks, Andrey for translation....
    If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Great translation effort Andrey. Thanks
      http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Putin Speech

Andrey,

Thanks very much for taking the time and effort to give us a translation of President Putin's speech. Otherwise, we wouldn't have any of it here in the States. All we get, if we get anything at all, is only some US reporter interviewing some other US reporter who gives only his own opinion.

We appreciate your work very much, thanks.
        J.D. Morelock
        Editor in Chief
        Armchair General Magazine

Comment

Re: Putin Speech

Originally posted by JD Morelock
          Andrey,

Thanks very much for taking the time and effort to give us a translation of President Putin's speech. Otherwise, we wouldn't have any of it here in the States. All we get, if we get anything at all, is only some US reporter interviewing some other US reporter who gives only his own opinion.

We appreciate your work very much, thanks.
          Isn't it strange that mass media of country which is considered "most free" do not give comoplete text of important president speech but only give some phrases from thios speech which completely distort common meaning of speech without complete text?

Comment

Here is other translation version of that speech, as I understood it is made by professional translators not ordinary people like me:

“A horrendous tragedy has befallen our country. We all of us deeply suffered in the past few days, letting through our hearts all the developments in the town of Beslan.

“It was not mere murderers whom we had to face; we encountered the ones who had taken up arms against defenseless children.

“First and foremost, I would like to give the words of support to the people who lost the dearest of all the treasures one can have – children, family members, close friends. I share their grief with them.

“I would like to ask you to recall all those who fell at the hands of terrorists in the past few days.

“Russian history has had many tragic pages and has seen many tragic events. We are living in a situation that took shape after the disintegration of a giant state that turned out unviable in the conditions of a rapidly changing world. But in spite of all the difficulties, we managed to keep up the kernel of that giant and called it the Russian Federation.

“We expected a change – a change for the better, but we found ourselves unprepared for many of the things that came upon us. Why did it happen?

“We are living in a transitional economy, which does not meet the requirements or the level of development of society and its political system. Internal conflicts and ethnic contradictions, so toughly suppressed by the dominating ideology in the previous epoch, are mounting now.

“Our attention to the issues of defense and security started flagging, and we let corruption mute our judiciary and law enforcement systems. Our country used to have a most potent system of border defenses, and yet it became defenseless both in the West and in the East virtually overnight.

“Creation of tangible border defenses will take years and billions of rubles, but even there our performance could be more efficient if we reacted timely and professionally.

“I must admit that we did not give a close look to the processes unfolding in our own country and abroad, or anyway we failed to react to them properly.

“We winked at our own weakness, and it is the weak who are always beaten up. Some want to tear away saucy piece of our wealth, while others help these aspirants in so doing. They still believe that Russia poses a threat to them as a nuclear power. That is why this threat must be eliminated, and terrorism is just another instrument in implementing their designs.

“As I said, we encountered crises, revolts, and terrorist acts on many occasions, but what happened this time is a terrorist crime, the cruelty of which stands beyond precedence. This is not a challenge to the President, Parliament, or cabinet of ministers; this is a challenge to the entire Russian state and its people. This is aggression against us.

“The terrorists believe they are stronger than ourselves, that their cruelty will intimidate us, paralyze our will and degenerate our society. Here we have a seeming alternative – to rebuff them or to begin obeying their orders. The second means to give in and to let them partition Russia in a hope that they will somehow let us alone.

“As President of the Russian state, a person who gave an oath to defend the nation and its territorial integrity, and last but not least, as a Russian citizen, I am confident that we have no such alternative.

“The moment we give in to their blackmail and succumb to panic, we will plunge millions of people into an endless chain of bloodletting conflicts, like Karabakh [an enclave of Azerbaijan predominantly populated by Armenians – Itar-Tass] or the Dniester region [a part of Moldova that proclaimed itself independent in the early 1990’s – Itar-Tass] or other tragedies of the kind. One cannot but see that this is obvious.

“What we have on our hands is not the scattered acts of intimidation or odd terrorist sorties. This is direct intervention on the part of international terrorism in Russia. It is a total and full-blown war that keeps claiming the lives of our compatriots.

“But world experience proves that such wars do not end quickly. Given this situation, we cannot afford complacent treatment of it anymore.

“We must set up a much more efficient system of security and make demands to our law enforcement system that its actions become proportionate to the size of new threats.

“The main thing, however, is to mobilize the consciousness of the nation in the face of a common threat. Events in other countries show that terrorists get the most adequate responses in the places where they run into the power of the state, on the one hand, and organized and united civic society, on the other.

“Dear fellow countrymen,

The people who sent the terrorists to commit that utterly heinous crime harbored a hope to set on our peoples to fight with one another and unleash a bloody feud in Northern Caucasus.

“I would like to tell you the following in that connection.

“First, an expansive set of measures aimed at strengthening the country’s unity will be prepared shortly.

“Second, I believe it is vital that we set up a new system of interaction between the forces controlling situations in Northern Caucasus.

“Third, we need a new efficient system of crisis management, based on completely novel approaches to the activity of law enforcement agencies.

“I would like make special stress on the intention to implement those measures in strict conformity with the Constitution”.

“My dear friends, all of us are living through mournful and painful hours now, and I would like to thank all of you for your self-restraint and civic responsibility.

“We have always been stronger than them and will remain so. I mean our morals, courage, and human solidarity. I saw it again this early morning.

“Beslan is literally imbued with grief and pain, but people there were so much caring for one another, so much cooperative.

“They were not afraid to risk their lives for the sake of others. They remained real people even in the most inhumane conditions.

“It is hard to reconcile oneself with bitter losses, but the ordeal has made us closer to one another and compelled us to reassess many things. We must be together nowadays, because that is the only way to defeat the enemy”.
            (end)

http://www.itar-tass.com/eng/level2...6&PageNum=0

Comment

I am new here.

Thank You Andrey.
              Very good Translation.
              In Australia, we have same problam as the US.
              We only get a small amount of Infromation (With regards to Russia).

Comment

Originally posted by Ken69 View Post
                I am new here.

Thank You Andrey.
                Very good Translation.
                In Australia, we have same problam as the US.
                We only get a small amount of Infromation (With regards to Russia).
                welcome here.

now western mass media distort info about the political situation in Russia and about the last parliament elections.

Comment

Andrey, Thank you for your efforts.

Don't forget, living in a free society means everybody is free to interpret and distort as they see fit or to suit their own particular agenda.
                  Wolster

Comment

Originally posted by Wolster View Post
                    Don't forget, living in a free society means everybody is free to interpret and distort as they see fit or to suit their own particular agenda.
                    What you speak can be used for the justification of any lie or incompetence.
                    Last edited by Andrey; 06 Dec 07, 04:51.

Comment

I don't know how I feel about Putin. I am a supporter of an idea of a "strong Russia", but why does it always have to be through autocracy? This just plays into the western stereotype that Russia can only be ruled by autocrats/tyrants because the people are cowed and lazy.
                      Last edited by Emil_G; 06 Dec 07, 11:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey View Post
                        What you speak can be used for the justification of any lie or incompetence.
                        It can, but it also can uncover lies and incompetence.

The check on media distortion is competition among media companies. Because there are several families of networks, and because they are generally independent of each other, if one media outlet tends to distort the facts, people tend to gravitate to other, more reliable sources.

That does not always work, of course; newspapers historically whip up war fever, sometimes for the best but sometimes not. But a free and competitive system is probably the best way to ensure that more is revealed than concealed.
                        "There are only two professions in the world in which the amateur excels the professional. One, military strategy, and, two, prostitution."
                        -- Maj. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

(Avatar: Commodore Edwin Ward Moore, Republic of Texas Navy)

Comment

Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
                          I don't know how I feel about Putin. I am a supporter of an idea of a "strong Russia", but why does it always have to be through autocracy? This just plays into the western stereotype that Russia can only be ruled by autocrats/tyrants because the people are cowed and lazy.
                          Where have you read "autocracy" term? You have read it in Western mass media. You have read it so often that you have begun to think it is correct. But it is wrong. It is lie of incompetent and biased Western reporters who don't understand the processes in Russia.

I can compare Putin with De Gaulle. Was De Gaulle autorat or tyrant?
                          Last edited by Andrey; 07 Dec 07, 00:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Jordan View Post
                            It can, but it also can uncover lies and incompetence.

The check on media distortion is competition among media companies. Because there are several families of networks, and because they are generally independent of each other, if one media outlet tends to distort the facts, people tend to gravitate to other, more reliable sources.

That does not always work, of course; newspapers historically whip up war fever, sometimes for the best but sometimes not. But a free and competitive system is probably the best way to ensure that more is revealed than concealed.
                            what you speak is nice words but reality shows it doesn't workn too often. Those several families of networks are under control of a few rich guys. There was the samew situation in Russia when for example Berezovsky controlled Channel 1 (main Russian TV channle!!!), Gusinsky - NTV (another famous channel) and those channels spoke what those oligarchs wanted they to speak. Now Berezovsky is officially declared a large scale criminal who was connected with the leaders of Chechen bandit formations in Chechnya right during the first Chechen Campaign of 1994-96!!!! Nobody in Russia has diubts about it but in Great Britain he is considered a freedom fighter and a "political victim of Putin's regime".

I read translations of Western mass media about the processes in Russia. Indeed there are a few journalists who describes the events correctly but their voices sunk in the voices of the other incompetent biased reporters. Commonly the Western mass media are biased against Russia and are too russophobic.

You can also to recall Iraq events. Yes, it is uncovered now that Iraq had no WMD and the Western mass media spoke false about it. But what to do with the Iraqese who died under American and British bombs? What to do with Serbian who died under NATO bombs in Yugoslavia in 1999 when the Western mass media again cheated the Western public about genocide of Albanians in Kosovo (which was not confirmed later)?
                            Last edited by Andrey; 07 Dec 07, 00:37.

Comment

Andrey, I've read more citisism of Putin in the Russian media than in the US media. Garri Kasparov/Russia Without Putin, etc.
                              Last edited by Emil_G; 07 Dec 07, 02:04.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X