KV-1 turnover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KV-1 turnover?

I think that I read that the KV-1 could only fire the cannon on even ground,that firing while on uneven ground could cause it to turn over.Can anyone confirm this?

Originally posted by SgtSaunders View Post
    I think that I read that the KV-1 could only fire the cannon on even ground,that firing while on uneven ground could cause it to turn over.Can anyone confirm this?
    I suppose you mean KV-2.

And it is not any part of W. Allied armour for sure
    www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

You'd probably get a better answer in the RKKA forum more than the western allied armor section. I'll move the thread there.
      Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Considering the weight of the KV-2 - 54 tons - I would consider it highly unlikely that a KV-2 could flip over when firing its 152mm howitzer gun - at least, I never heard of it. It is true, however, that the KV-2 needed to be on reasonably level ground and stationary in order to fire accurately. The main culprit here was the sheer size and mass of the turret, which made it near impossible to traverse the turret other than on level ground.

As for the "rolling-over" claim, Jochen Vollert notes: "To make a 52 ton giant such as the KV-2 roll over could virtually not be achieved by direct hostile fire. In combat only large-calibre artillery shells or Stuka bombs could make this happen."
        KW-2 Der schwere sowjetische Durchbruchspanzer des 2. Weltkrieges
        Tankograd Publishing - Verlag Jochen Vollert, 2001, p. 44

Comment

Originally posted by skoblin View Post
          Considering the weight of the KV-2 - 54 tons - I would consider it highly unlikely that a KV-2 could flip over when firing its 152mm howitzer gun - at least, I never heard of it. It is true, however, that the KV-2 needed to be on reasonably level ground and stationary in order to fire accurately. The main culprit here was the sheer size and mass of the turret, which made it near impossible to traverse the turret other than on level ground.
          Neither KV-1 nor KV-2 could roll over after fighting from their guns.
          KV-2 simply couldn't move its turret when list angle exceeded enough small value.
          If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X