Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twitter3
    replied
    Very nice. Thank you for sharing these. I always look forward to your pictures.

Leave a comment:

• ShAA
    replied
    Here are 2 links to the video a TV station made about this trip. The page contains full text of the interviews and background narration.

http://www.tvc.ru/AllNews.aspx?id=08...ate=20.09.2010 - Russian

http://translate.google.com/translat...9.2010&act=url - English. It is readable and understandable, albeit not without some funny parts.

A note on Googl-ish: DOT is a bunker, so if you see "DOTham", "DOTa" and others, this is it. And where Alekseev says: "We Vandals" the translation should be "The vandals in our area/land"

The bunker in this video is the first they worked on. I came when they were already finishing their work on the second one.

Leave a comment:

• ShAA
    replied
    Originally posted by Cicero View Post
    I went to your coordinants on Google Earth, and I seem to be in an urban area right on top of a PolyTechincal University.
    You're right!

Okay, try these ones, they show the coordinates of the "rainbow bunker" and the other one is 870m to the east and a bit to the north.

5936'54.39"С

3013'39.46"В

Leave a comment:

• ShAA
    replied
    Originally posted by popuptarget View Post
    Lots of great pics, thanks for sharing.
    (I did have to look twice when I first saw the German uniforms though - you had me confused for a moment....)
    One can buy them in Finland for a few bucks and they are quite durable - small wonder most bunker nuts and relic hunters wear them.

Leave a comment:

• ShAA
    replied
    Originally posted by Cicero View Post
    Just attach the image and do nothing else. It used to be you needed to attach AND link the image, but now all you have to do is attach and it will show up on your post.
    Well, right, but I want them to show up in the middle of the post between text lines.

Leave a comment:

• popuptarget
    replied
    Lots of great pics, thanks for sharing.
    (I did have to look twice when I first saw the German uniforms though - you had me confused for a moment....)

Leave a comment:

• Cicero
    replied
    I went to your coordinants on Google Earth, and I seem to be in an urban area right on top of a PolyTechincal University.

Leave a comment:

• Cicero
    replied
    Just attach the image and do nothing else. It used to be you needed to attach AND link the image, but now all you have to do is attach and it will show up on your post.

Leave a comment:

• ShAA
    replied
    Argh, I've never used attachments before! How can I make them appear only once?

Leave a comment:

• ShAA
    replied
    Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
    Shaa, try print screen for Google Earth and then post. I've done that before.
    Thanks, seems like it's working better. I'm still wondering why Google hasn't come up with a convenient tool to give links to Google Maps/Earth.

Here's the big map:

Here is a closer view of Gorki - after another check I've found out this was the name of the village. Romanovka is just to the north of it. Well, better late than never.

And here are the bunkers on the satellite map:

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Half Pint John
    replied
    Shaa, try print screen for Google Earth and then post. I've done that before.

Leave a comment:

• ShAA
    replied
    Some maps of the region:

The bunker is exactly north of the "1/56" number to the east of the Gatchina "bulge".

I don't know how to make links to Google Earth, but here are the coordinates of the bunker with the rainbow - lat=59.6151077834, lon=30.2276397764

The one mauled by German shells is 860 meters away from it to the northeast at the rim of the forest.

Another map of the area, the bunkers are next to the 270th OPAB (detached artillery-machinegun battallion)

And finally a German map, if you can read the word "Gatschina" in the lower left corner - the bunkers are northeast of it. Seems like they were attacked by elements of 269th or SS "Polizei" division.

Leave a comment:

• Erkki
    replied
    A new German invasion of East Europe has begun, this time by Flektarn type camouflage suits. I owe a couple of sets myself btw...

Leave a comment:

• ShAA
    replied
    Originally posted by Slim Fan View Post
    Fascinating post and great shots of the bunkers.
    Good luck with the history club.
    Thanks, I've got more reports coming

Leave a comment:

• Slim Fan
    replied
    Fascinating post and great shots of the bunkers.
    Good luck with the history club.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X