Khalkhin-Gol Help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Khalkhin-Gol Help needed

I'm currently doing some research into Japanese units taking part in the Nomonhan incident. However I've run into a bit of an issue with contradictory sources. It occurred to me that the Soviet side might be able to clear up the issue.

At the start of the incident task force Azuma got surrounded, and overrun. How I've seen some sources saying that Azuma had a squadron of "armoured cars" with them. Others failing to mention anything apart from a single Tankette.

Now comes the fun bit.

Azuma was a Cavalry unit, and they where not allowed to use "tanks" so they named their Type 92 Tankettes "armoured Cars". I suspect its these that are being referred too in the other sources.

Now as Russian/mongol forces overran the position and held onto it for a while, did they take a count of captured material, for propaganda purpose's or any photographs? I suspect the Russian sources will refer to the type 92's as Tankettes.

Any number or Information relating to that could be useful. For example if you come across a listing for 13mm Machine guns captured that would give me an answer.

The date this information would have been appearing is about may 28th 1939.

Thanks.
    Winnie says
    ---------------------------------
    "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
    Herr Flick.

Did you consult ALvin Coox's Nomonhan: Japan Against Russia 1939?

He notes Yoshimaru's 3rd Tk Regt included: 26 Type 89 (Otsu) medium tnaks, organized inot two line companies; 4 Type 97 (Chi-ha) medium tanks; 7 Type 94 (TK) tankettes; and 4 Type 97 (Ke-te) tankettes. Tamada's 4th Tk Regt included 35 Type 95 (Ha-go) light tanks, organized into three line companies and one reserve company; 8 Type 89 (Ko) medium tanks in one line company; and 3 Type 94 (TK) tankettes

His source for information on the tanks is Hara Tomio and Takeuchi Akira, Nihon no sensha [Japanese Tanks], Tokyo: Suppan Kyodosha, 1961.

I'm still looking for ref to Type 92's; Coox does a poor job of indexing.

rna
    Last edited by R.N. Armstrong; 10 Oct 10, 07:00.
    Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
      Did you consult ALvin Coox's Nomonhan: Japan Against Russia 1939?

He notes Yoshimaru's 3rd Tk Regt included: 26 Type 89 (Otsu) medium tnaks, organized inot two line companies; 4 Type 97 (Chi-ha) medium tanks; 7 Type 94 (TK) tankettes; and 4 Type 97 (Ke-te) tankettes. Tamada's 4th Tk Regt included 35 Type 95 (Ha-go) light tanks, organized into three line companies and one reserve company; 8 Type 89 (Ko) medium tanks in one line company; and 3 Type 94 (TK) tankeetes

His source for information on the tanks is Hara Tomio and Takeuchi Akira, Nihon no sensha [Japanese Tanks], Tokyo: Suppan Kyodosha, 1961.

I'm still looking for ref to Type 92's; Coox does a poor job of indexing.

rna
      I've got Cook's book, and that's some of what is causing issues. He has contradicting sources.

As a note, detachment Azuma was destroyed before the Tank regiments got involved.
      Winnie says
      "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
      Herr Flick.

Comment

Coox, in a footnote, observes, "Azuma actually possessed only one Type 92 heavy armored car in the underequipped tankette company."

Comment

Originally posted by Listy View Post
          I've got Cook's book, and that's some of what is causing issues. He has contradicting sources.

As a note, detachment Azuma was destroyed before the Tank regiments got involved.
          Since you have Coox's book, the footnote is 2. in chapter 15. Hope it helps.

Comment

I wish he'd include the Footnotes on the page he writes them.
            Thanks, mind job solved.

Of course, in the official Japanese losses on page 242 say two tankettes knocked out. Coox explains that as Soviet claim.
            Although Azuma did capture a Soviet Tankette of some description (P207) which might account for the discrepancy.

Thanks again.
            Winnie says

It was an Accident."
            Herr Flick.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X