This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chapaev Miniseries

I read the book 'Capaev' in the early 70's, a character you may compare to Emiliano Zapata (Mexican Civil War). You shared a simular fate.

The new miniseries however is somewhat different and has a few twist and turns that the book did not endorse. Chapaev's constant struggle with his from Trotzky appointed Commissars. And Trotzky's hostile jealouszy.

http://film.ua/en/production/filmsan...s/projects/238

http://postmodern.com.ua/blogs/view/6

http://www.amazon.ca/Chapaev-complea...542298&sr=1-29

More on the Russian Civil War:

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=sr_pg_2?r...qid=1363542285

Here are a few samples of this outstanding miniseries:

STRASTI PO CHAPAYU

Here is also some irony, Furmanov, who wrote Chapev's biography, was his Comissar attache during the civil war. Out of a jealous rage, he shot Chapaev in the back, almost killing him, during a crucial attack on a white army position. This tidbit, was not available in the soviet published book.

Comment

• Originally posted by Konzev View Post
      The new miniseries however is somewhat different and has a few twist and turns that the book did not endorse. Chapaev's constant struggle with his from Trotzky appointed Commissars. And Trotzky's hostile jealouszy.
      Collection of stupid stereotypes. Very weak film.
      "Keep Calm. Use Less X's"

Comment

• Originally posted by dmf01 View Post
        Collection of stupid stereotypes. Very weak film.
        I'm not a master of the Russian language, so did not understand 90% of all the dialog. But I found the acting was so good, that it wasn't too hard to follow the story. Perhaps with English subtitles, I would have noticed stereotypes and
        perhaps clichee's , but I did not notice them. So my verdict remains 8/10 stars. Chapaev was undoubtly a Ladies man, and the actor's delivery had the charged chemistry.
        Also the miniseries was action packed, with many battles, that I found quite spectacular. Sure, it helped that I have read the book, about 40 years ago. Than there is the classic Chapaev movie from 1937, which is not bad, but does not even come close to this new production. Before we critic movies, we should also keep in mind, that there has not been anything produced about the character since 1937. A topic that beg's for more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Konzev View Post
          I'm not a master of the Russian language, so did not understand 90% of all the dialog. But I found the acting was so good, that it wasn't too hard to follow the story. Perhaps with English subtitles, I would have noticed stereotypes and
          perhaps clichee's , but I did not notice them. So my verdict remains 8/10 stars. Chapaev was undoubtly a Ladies man, and the actor's delivery had the charged chemistry.
          Also the miniseries was action packed, with many battles, that I found quite spectacular. Sure, it helped that I have read the book, about 40 years ago. Than there is the classic Chapaev movie from 1937, which is not bad, but does not even come close to this new production. Before we critic movies, we should also keep in mind, that there has not been anything produced about the character since 1937. A topic that beg's for more.
          I understand your point, Konzev. Unfortunately, not so much me know about real Chapaev. Furmanov's book appears to be the main (reliable??) source. History experts of Russian Civil War often mention that there wasn't anything extra remarkable in his combat skills.
          About the movie. Don't try to find any historical accuracy there. The way people speak there is certainly not the way real people talked in those times. Even furniture and costumes often appear inappropriate. Remember Trotsky's guards? Lol!!! The very depictions of him and many others are caricatures - to put it politely. For example, the Whites are shown as infantile monsters. I can go on and on. It's a pity you don't read in Russian, if there's a chance for you to translate it somehow, here's a link to a critical article about this chef d'oeuvre. This comment may seem too aggressive, but still worth reading IMO:
          http://www.odnako.org/blogs/show_23985/

But please note it's just my opinion, so feel free to make up your own and enjoy the film if you like it.

Comment

I understand your point, Konzev. Unfortunately, not so much me know about real Chapaev. Furmanov's book appears to be the main (reliable??) source. History experts of Russian Civil War often mention that there wasn't anything extra remarkable in his combat skills.
            About the movie. Don't try to find any historical accuracy there. The way people speak there is certainly not the way real people talked in those times. Even furniture and costumes often appear inappropriate. Remember Trotsky's guards? Lol!!! The very depictions of him and many others are caricatures - to put it politely. For example, the Whites are shown as infantile monsters. I can go on and on. It's a pity you don't read in Russian, if there's a chance for you to translate it somehow, here's a link to a critical article about this chef d'oeuvre. This comment may seem too aggressive, but still worth reading IMO:
            http://www.odnako.org/blogs/show_23985/

But please note it's just my opinion, so feel free to make up your own and enjoy the film if you like it.
            All I learned about Chapaev, was Furmanov's biography, a few GDR TV documentary snippets , and from a west German Docu-Drama called DER Bürgerkrieg in Rußland (TV mini-series 1967)-, where they portrait Chapaev as a peasant Rebel leader, like Emiliano Zapata.

From my perspective, Canada and the US, produce very few shows about History, with the exception of some very History miniseries like BOARDWALK EMPIRE, SPARTACUS, HOMELAND, BAND OF BROTHERS, and so on.
            So I would say less than a dozen, that are watchable, in a year. Germany, the UK, France, Poland and Spain are doing even more. Nevertheless, they leave me starving for History movie and miniseries productions. Russia, on the other hand makes the better Historical productions, when I compare them to the western ones. Why should I not encourage that ?
            I'm also not manipulated by the so called STAR media hysteria, I actually believe that Russia has the better educated and trained actors.

Comment

• Me too. I'm starving for new decent Russian and others' history movies.
              I'm happy to encourage making such movies. But not these "rough and ready" based and biased on worn-out stereotypes and fueled with desire to please shallow-minded audience and thus make money.

Comment

Me too. I'm starving for new decent Russian and others' history movies.
                I'm happy to encourage making such movies. But not these "rough and ready" based and biased on worn-out stereotypes and fueled with desire to please shallow-minded audience and thus make money.
                You can't be too picky these days, everything is about the bottomline: Making money. During Soviet times, Directors where not being restricted by "getting the shallow minded crowds", they had despite having to use some propaganda mateial, more room for artistic values.
                So, we have to be contend, that history themed movies are still being made, in Russia, that are of better quality than in the west overall. And that people honor them at the box office. Strasti do Chapaev, has a lot of flaws (Trotsky Caricature), despite that I was well entertained, and view it as one of the best films, I've seen in about 2 years. If people are interested, in historical accuracy, we can only hope, that people's couriosity might be sparked. This Chapaev, is better, than no Chapaev miniseries.

Comment

• OT:

new great movie

the legend #17 - its about hockey player Valery Kharlamov

http://www.kinopoisk.ru/film/601564/

http://www.google.ru/search?q=%D0%BB...ONGL4gSyuoHoDw
                  Last edited by amvas; 21 Apr 13, 13:58.

Comment

• Andrey / DMF01, is the new Stalingrad movie any good, in your opinion? The trailer seems to me very derivative and overblown...

Comment

• Originally posted by korman643 View Post
                      Andrey / DMF01, is the new Stalingrad movie any good, in your opinion? The trailer seems to me very derivative and overblown...
                      Well, the movie is not ready yet, as far as I know. But I can say that Bondarchuk is a talented film-maker. We'll see.

Comment

• Zhizn i sudba (2012– )
                        I have been looking for this one.I searched for an English Subtitled DVD but none.So then I managed to find the Series on TPB but I can not find Subtitle files.
                        I scanned some quickly and it looked good but since I do not speak Russian it is not a good experience to watch something when you do not understand the dialogue.
                        Has anyone seen English Subtitles anywhere ?

And I also watched that Trailer for the new Stalingrad Film.Hope it will be good.I did think some of that Trailer looked awesome.

Comment

• The new Stalingrad movie appears to be based on Call of Duty World at War, meaning that it is actually less accurate than Annaud's Enemy at the Gates. This is not an easy thing to achieve.

Comment

• Zhizn i sudba (2012– ) still looking for English Subtitles.
                            Also I learned of that Mini-Series Katya. Voennaya istoriya which looks interesting.Would anyone know of English Subtitles for that show too ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cmde.Slavyanski View Post
                              The new Stalingrad movie appears to be based on Call of Duty World at War, meaning that it is actually less accurate than Annaud's Enemy at the Gates. This is not an easy thing to achieve.
                              I was surprised to see how similar that game was to Enemy at the gates..
                              “For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

Max Sterner

Comment

• Originally posted by gorehound View Post
                                Zhizn i sudba (2012– )
                                I have been looking for this one.I searched for an English Subtitled DVD but none.So then I managed to find the Series on TPB but I can not find Subtitle files.
                                I scanned some quickly and it looked good but since I do not speak Russian it is not a good experience to watch something when you do not understand the dialogue.
                                Has anyone seen English Subtitles anywhere ?
                                I'm afraid it's still hasn't yet been released with English subtitles. Of course, the film is wonderful, but the book is much better. If you haven't read it, I hope you'll enjoy it.
                                http://www.amazon.com/Life-Fate-Revi...ssili+grossman

Comment

Working...
                                X