Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soviet/Russian military movies

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Andrey View Post
    "Life and Fate" brand new mini-TV series. It is an excellent movie based on the novel by Vasiliy Grossman.

    The set of the actors is excellent, it looks like they are people of 40th...

    http://russia.tv/brand/show/brand_id/12045
    Unexpectedly good film.
    "Keep Calm. Use Less X's"

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Hetzer 15 View Post
      Are those 45mm anti-tank guns in the Mogilev 1941 movie?

      The tanks look to be good mock ups of Panzer 3's with short 50mm guns.
      The German tanks in the movie are BMP-1s with artifical turrets.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by korman643 View Post
        Andrey: is this movie any good in your opinion? I've watched a bit of it and I can make up my mind about it.

        Три дня лейтенанта Кравцова

        I've read on the Internet a lot of comparison with Они сражались за Родину but to be honest I think this is a bit of a stretch... what's your opinon?
        Hey, sorry for delay, I was in North...

        They fought for the Motherland is a Great Movie with Great actors made by Great Director.
        I have it with English and French audio tracks.

        Three days of Lt Kravtsov is an ordinary modern movie. Trash. It is funny top compare it with "They fought for the Motherland". One episode, Soviet soldiers began a hand-to-hand combat and and their company commander scream "Idiots! What are they doing?" After that he shot over the heads of the fighting Russiand and German soldiers wioth Maxim machine gun. So Russian and German soldiers run in different sides in their trenches... What a nonsence!... Now there are many Russian moviemakers and actors so they need stories to be made in a movie. The WWII is a good source of data to make movies...
        Last edited by Andrey; 22 Jan 13, 12:11.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Konzev View Post
          I'll look up your link.
          Have you seen CHKALOV ?
          http://www.amazon.ca/Chkalov-Eugene-...4286607&sr=1-1
          "Chkalov" is a good movie. It is about a great Soviet pilot Valery Chkalov who tragically died during the test of brand new fighter I-180 before WWII.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by ShAA View Post
            This is from the movie "Dneprovsky Rubezh"/"Dnieper Line"

            Here's the full movie

            It is a Byelorussian Movie.

            Byelorussia is a different state than Russia, it was fully occupied and lost 25% of people during the occupation in 1941-44, the Germans burned hundreds of villages with all villagers.

            So they have another view on the events of WWII, it is a really holly war for them. There are no neo-nazies in Byelorussia...

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Andrey View Post
              It is a Byelorussian Movie.

              Byelorussia is a different state than Russia, it was fully occupied and lost 25% of people during the occupation in 1941-44, the Germans burned hundreds of villages with all villagers.

              So they have another view on the events of WWII, it is a really holly war for them. There are no neo-nazies in Byelorussia...
              This movie was criticised for a mediocre script and bad acting, although its battle scenes were made with considerable historical fidelity. I've heard they engaged several groups of quite professional reenactors to film them. I agree that Belarus maintains a more reverent attitude towards the events of the Great Patriotic War, and the films they make are much better than the trash produced in Russia (with a few exceptions). I would say the Belarussian government plays a role in it as well. As for the Neo-Nazis, they do exist in Belarus, it's just our media which doesn't report on them often.

              The issue with the bad quality of Russian movies and the outright BS the directors are pushing is that, unfortunately, a large part of the population is still in a state confusion in regard to the historical evaluation of the war. After the anti-Soviet hysteria of the 1990s there are lots of people who believe things like: Hitler wasn't that bad compared to Stalin; there was no Generalplan Ost and the Nazis no intention to keep Russians in slavery but wanted them to make their comrades in the fight agaisnt Communism; Vlasov was the real Russian leader and he had real chances to make Russia an independent nation under German auspices, etc. And so far the Russian Government has not published and clear and unambiguos statements on what it sees as the historical truth. A lot of huffing and puffing has been done about the "unacceptability of historical revisionism", and a sort of a commission has been formed, but it all ended in nothing. How would you expect film directors to shoot historically correct movies if there are no clear definitions of what this war was for the Russian people, there's still no official school textbook conveying this point of view, and no historical and social consensus on this very complex and very important issue?
              www.histours.ru

              Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

              Comment


              • Movie clip at the ending part showed a earily Russian AAA vehicle with a quad machine gun on it...and used to good effect. Never see that type of vehilce protrayed in a movie before.
                ...Its one of our V-8's...Pursuit Special on methane, super hot!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by ShAA View Post
                  This movie was criticised for a mediocre script and bad acting, although its battle scenes were made with considerable historical fidelity. I've heard they engaged several groups of quite professional reenactors to film them. I agree that Belarus maintains a more reverent attitude towards the events of the Great Patriotic War, and the films they make are much better than the trash produced in Russia (with a few exceptions). I would say the Belarussian government plays a role in it as well. As for the Neo-Nazis, they do exist in Belarus, it's just our media which doesn't report on them often.

                  The issue with the bad quality of Russian movies and the outright BS the directors are pushing is that, unfortunately, a large part of the population is still in a state confusion in regard to the historical evaluation of the war. After the anti-Soviet hysteria of the 1990s there are lots of people who believe things like: Hitler wasn't that bad compared to Stalin; there was no Generalplan Ost and the Nazis no intention to keep Russians in slavery but wanted them to make their comrades in the fight agaisnt Communism; Vlasov was the real Russian leader and he had real chances to make Russia an independent nation under German auspices, etc. And so far the Russian Government has not published and clear and unambiguos statements on what it sees as the historical truth. A lot of huffing and puffing has been done about the "unacceptability of historical revisionism", and a sort of a commission has been formed, but it all ended in nothing. How would you expect film directors to shoot historically correct movies if there are no clear definitions of what this war was for the Russian people, there's still no official school textbook conveying this point of view, and no historical and social consensus on this very complex and very important issue?
                  I don't think it'd stop an enthusiast to do a good film.
                  I don't demand 100% historical accuracy [but 90%+ would be nice] for I understand it's a work of art. But what is seen now, even in less-overburdened with stereotypes movies, is poor scripts and stagings. It's about whole cinematography here, not just historical movies. Still looking for newer decent Russian WWII films.
                  "Keep Calm. Use Less X's"

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by ShAA View Post
                    This movie was criticised for a mediocre script and bad acting, although its battle scenes were made with considerable historical fidelity. I've heard they engaged several groups of quite professional reenactors to film them. I agree that Belarus maintains a more reverent attitude towards the events of the Great Patriotic War, and the films they make are much better than the trash produced in Russia (with a few exceptions). I would say the Belarussian government plays a role in it as well. As for the Neo-Nazis, they do exist in Belarus, it's just our media which doesn't report on them often.

                    The issue with the bad quality of Russian movies and the outright BS the directors are pushing is that, unfortunately, a large part of the population is still in a state confusion in regard to the historical evaluation of the war. After the anti-Soviet hysteria of the 1990s there are lots of people who believe things like: Hitler wasn't that bad compared to Stalin; there was no Generalplan Ost and the Nazis no intention to keep Russians in slavery but wanted them to make their comrades in the fight agaisnt Communism; Vlasov was the real Russian leader and he had real chances to make Russia an independent nation under German auspices, etc. And so far the Russian Government has not published and clear and unambiguos statements on what it sees as the historical truth. A lot of huffing and puffing has been done about the "unacceptability of historical revisionism", and a sort of a commission has been formed, but it all ended in nothing. How would you expect film directors to shoot historically correct movies if there are no clear definitions of what this war was for the Russian people, there's still no official school textbook conveying this point of view, and no historical and social consensus on this very complex and very important issue?

                    Hey didn't you hear? The Red Army fought for the Russian Orthodox Church and Nikita Mikhailkov!!!

                    Seriously though, that Belorussian film could have been something great if they just cleaned up a few things(the goat has got to go, though). To me it looks something like those amateur films you see on Youtube(which actually aren't bad when you consider what the producers had to work with). I'm convinced that if you could produce something like that, some tinkering with the camera techniques and post-production work could achieve some amazing results.

                    Also, if one were able to use green screens you could really do a lot with urban combat. I see wrecked, abandoned buildings all around Moscow(hell there's one right next to me). If you had permission to film in one, you could cover the windows with green screens, film indoor, urban combat, and then replace the green screens with a smoking, ruined urban landscape like at Stalingrad.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Cmde.Slavyanski View Post
                      Hey didn't you hear? The Red Army fought for the Russian Orthodox Church and Nikita Mikhailkov!!!

                      Seriously though, that Belorussian film could have been something great if they just cleaned up a few things(the goat has got to go, though). To me it looks something like those amateur films you see on Youtube(which actually aren't bad when you consider what the producers had to work with). I'm convinced that if you could produce something like that, some tinkering with the camera techniques and post-production work could achieve some amazing results.

                      Also, if one were able to use green screens you could really do a lot with urban combat. I see wrecked, abandoned buildings all around Moscow(hell there's one right next to me). If you had permission to film in one, you could cover the windows with green screens, film indoor, urban combat, and then replace the green screens with a smoking, ruined urban landscape like at Stalingrad.
                      Thje Russian Orthodox church did save up enough funds for a platoon of OT-34 tanks, Flamethower versions of the famous design. Each turret had a script painted on it denoting it was from money raised by the church, all tanks were painted in winter camo. This was in 1943, and the Platoon was committed to action after the Stalingrad Offensive.
                      ...Its one of our V-8's...Pursuit Special on methane, super hot!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Hetzer 15 View Post
                        Thje Russian Orthodox church did save up enough funds for a platoon of OT-34 tanks, Flamethower versions of the famous design. Each turret had a script painted on it denoting it was from money raised by the church, all tanks were painted in winter camo. This was in 1943, and the Platoon was committed to action after the Stalingrad Offensive.
                        The tank regiment Dmitri Donskoi.

                        Little correction, it was in 1944 and there was 19 T-34-85 tanks and 21 OT-34 tanks.

                        There are no Nazis in Ukraine. Idiots

                        Comment


                        • Cheapskates couldn't spring for some IS-IIs? COME ON!!!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Andrey View Post
                            Hey, sorry for delay, I was in North...

                            They fought for the Motherland is a Great Movie with Great actors made by Great Director.
                            I have it with English and French audio tracks.

                            Three days of Lt Kravtsov is an ordinary modern movie. Trash. It is funny top compare it with "They fought for the Motherland". One episode, Soviet soldiers began a hand-to-hand combat and and their company commander scream "Idiots! What are they doing?" After that he shot over the heads of the fighting Russiand and German soldiers wioth Maxim machine gun. So Russian and German soldiers run in different sides in their trenches... What a nonsence!... Now there are many Russian moviemakers and actors so they need stories to be made in a movie. The WWII is a good source of data to make movies...
                            Thanks Andrey! That what precisely I've thought

                            Comment


                            • I have a question- Is there an older version of "They Fought for the Motherland," or is there only the Bondarchuk version?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Cmde.Slavyanski View Post
                                I have a question- Is there an older version of "They Fought for the Motherland," or is there only the Bondarchuk version?
                                As far as i know, there is only the Bondarchuk version:
                                http://www.amazon.ca/Fought-Their-Mo...3541428&sr=1-1

                                But there are many new and old russian WW2 movies and documentaries just recently being posted on Amazon.ca:
                                Plus many Polish, Czech, Slovak, East+West German and Bulgarian Movies on the Great Patriotic War.

                                http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=sr_pg_8?r...qid=1363541648

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X