Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I own a copy of The Unknown War Series.you can find it if you google it.It is on DVD's

Comment

• Originally posted by gorehound View Post
      I own a copy of The Unknown War Series.you can find it if you google it.It is on DVD's
      Thank you, I even learned from the recommended sites why the series disappeared from the US television - the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan at the time was the reason, thanks again

Comment

• Originally posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
        Also "Snow White" had a better role in 'Peter FM'
        Sort of a Russian 'Debbie does Dimitrovgrad'. Or Dzerzhinsky. Or both.
        Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
        (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

Comment

• The Unknown is war is an interesting series.There are around 20 something episodes.Lots of old war footage you would not have seen.The quality is not the greatest but that is the best you will get.It must of been taken from some television broadcast somewhere.
          Anyone know of an english subtitles third blow.the film you described sounds interesting.

Comment

• My Father

My father was Leutnant of the German Wehrmacht in the 6th army. He was killed by a russian bullet fighting in Stalingrad in march 1943 before I was born. Therefore I am interested in sowjet-war-movies, to know the conditions under which my father died. He was burried with his other dead comrates there, but this graves does not exist any more. The Sowjets diged out the graves and builded up a block of flats there. The local authorities said, that the criminal soldiers, who had attacked their homeland, had no right for a grave. At hearing this I became very sad. I learned later, that only the graves of the German prisoners of war were existing, who died in the special warprisonercamps in Sibiria. My mother married later a US soldier, who cared for my mother and me. I loved him as my father, because I owed him my life. Therefore I am also very thankful to the US army. Unfortunately he my stepfather died after a chirugical operation in a viennise hospital a year ago 84 years old.

Comment

• Sorry for you, Casa....

Comment

• Originally posted by casanova View Post
                My father was Leutnant of the German Wehrmacht in the 6th army. He was killed by a russian bullet fighting in Stalingrad in march 1943 before I was born.
                Fights in Stalingrad had finished by February, 2nd of 1943.

Therefore I am interested in sowjet-war-movies, to know the conditions under which my father died. He was burried with his other dead comrates there, but this graves does not exist any more. The Sowjets diged out the graves and builded up a block of flats there. The local authorities said, that the criminal soldiers, who had attacked their homeland, had no right for a grave. At hearing this I became very sad. I learned later, that only the graves of the German prisoners of war were existing, who died in the special warprisonercamps in Sibiria.
                It is false. There are graves and cemeteries of Germsan soldiers in Russia.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrey View Post
                  It is false. There are graves and cemeteries of Germsan soldiers in Russia.
                  Just after the war some German cemeteries (especially those ones, which
                  Nazis made on the central squares of our towns) were ruined, or moved.
                  If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

• Originally posted by amvas View Post
                    Just after the war some German cemeteries (especially those ones, which
                    Nazis made on the central squares of our towns) were ruined, or moved.
                    some. not all

Comment

• To Casanova:
                      If you want to read some decent books on the Stalingrad battle I can help you:
                      1.try reading some of the awesome books put out by leaping horsemen books. i own them all
                      2.there is a mini-series documentary on Stalingrad you can buy thru Amazon.It is a 3 part series
                      3.if you do filesharing there are various documentaries floating around the Internet that are worth watching

Comment

• Originally posted by casanova View Post
                        My father was Leutnant of the German Wehrmacht in the 6th army. He was killed by a russian bullet fighting in Stalingrad in march 1943 before I was born. Therefore I am interested in sowjet-war-movies, to know the conditions under which my father died. He was burried with his other dead comrates there, but this graves does not exist any more. The Sowjets diged out the graves and builded up a block of flats there. The local authorities said, that the criminal soldiers, who had attacked their homeland, had no right for a grave. At hearing this I became very sad. I learned later, that only the graves of the German prisoners of war were existing, who died in the special warprisonercamps in Sibiria. My mother married later a US soldier, who cared for my mother and me. I loved him as my father, because I owed him my life. Therefore I am also very thankful to the US army. Unfortunately he my stepfather died after a chirugical operation in a viennise hospital a year ago 84 years old.
                        A lot changed in Russia and other former Soviet Bloc countries with regard to the graves of German soldiers since 1989. This knowledge might not help you in your father's case (there is an infamous "field of bones" near Volgograd, where you dig anywhere and you find a human bone), but for example, there is a new German Soldier Cemetery in Slovakia (I mentioned this, as this might be closes one to where you live), it is in High Tatras near the towns of Vazec and Strba, right under the beautiful Tatra Mountains Peaks. These soldiers died in Oct. 1944- Jan.1945 in fighting for Carpathian Mountain Passes (Russians and Czechoslovakians had 80 thousand casualties there, so the German losses were somewhat lower, as they were defending. If you have a chance, visit this one, in memory of your father.

Comment

• My father's side of the family were all born in the Carpathian Mountains close to romania.

Comment

• I found the vast memorials on Mamayev to be an amazing experience- especially when you consider how it all might have been back in 1942. As you walk up to the crest- most of the statues you see are made from the rubble of Stalingrad. There was also a very beautiful 'Eternal Flame' that I could best describe as a hand holding a torch with the names of thousands of Russian soldiers......there is a huge panorama of the battle as well as a sword that King George VI to the people of Stalingrad.

They even have an 'Afganistan Hall' there........anyhow- Mamayev was an amazing experience and when you took east towards the Volga, it is almost impossible to picture the holocaust it once was- the greatest defeat in German history.

I also smiled many a time as we passed through the Ukraine via rail- from Kiev to Kharkov- then across the Don- so many people in these forums talk about 'If Hitler had only done this', 'If Moscow that', 'The mistake was this......'

Going across the Ukraine you are struck by how vast Russia would have been to the German soldiers in 1941. The distances involved in the invasion are staggering- and the toll taken on the German Army is very often overlooked with tactical debates as if they were fighting in France.

Comment

• Originally posted by tank brigade View Post
                              A lot changed in Russia and other former Soviet Bloc countries with regard to the graves of German soldiers since 1989. This knowledge might not help you in your father's case (there is an infamous "field of bones" near Volgograd, where you dig anywhere and you find a human bone),

Although Walter Seledec is a fraud and his story was absolute bullshit, there are almost 100 cemeteries of 'enemy' soldiers on Russian territory if my memory serves.

Almost 10 years ago to this day as a matter of fact, a new cemetary for German soldiers was opened in St. Petersurg and at that time they had over 10,000.

Comment

• Hello Andrey.
                                I like russian movies.The list with russian war movies was usefull for me.I saw Proverka na dorogah and i think it is a great movie.
                                Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X