This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Andrey View Post
    there is the movie of "V nebe nochnye vedmy" ("Night Witches are at sky")

I don't know about its translation to English
    I have this movie in mt store, it's quite good, but without any subtitles.

Comment

• Originally posted by tank brigade View Post
      There is another good movie, I don't remember the title - black&white - first day of Barbarossa, Russian border guard unit fighting off the attacking Germans, unit's political commissar is serving as a heavy machine gunner belt loader, gunner is mortally wounded, commissar takes off his tunic, makes a pillow out of it and comforts the dying soldier, then makes his retreat with the others - next day a problem - his party membership papers are left in the tunic's pocket, he is demoted to a private , accused of cowardice and has to prove, that his story ,as why he left the tunic behind is the truth - this is not a propaganda movie , I wish I could see it again
      In 2007 I bought the miniseries "O Tebe", it's start's like you describe.
      Since it is in colour and produced in 2007, it must be some sort of a remake.

Comment

• Originally posted by Konzev View Post
        In 2007 I bought the miniseries "O Tebe", it's start's like you describe.
        Since it is in colour and produced in 2007, it must be some sort of a remake.
        Must be a remake, the movies I'm talking about here are pretty old - I saw these movies in late 50's and 60's in Czechoslovakia - but as I found out, most of them are now on DVD format, some could be found in European movies oriented rental stores (we have one like that here our town) or can be ordered on line, but those come without English subtitles, and my Russian is not good enough for viewing a movie - but they were good, realistic war movies, not like the Hollywood -Germans stupid -everybody else smart-nonsense.

Comment

• You guys know, just as an aside, some American films made in the post-war era (late 40s early 50s) were not what we would call "Hollywood trash", one that comes to mind is "A Walk in the Sun":
          http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038235/
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Walk_in_the_Sun

Very realistic compared to other films and very little mock heroics. But these were too little a too far between.

Comment

• Originally posted by joea View Post
            You guys know, just as an aside, some American films made in the post-war era (late 40s early 50s) were not what we would call "Hollywood trash", one that comes to mind is "A Walk in the Sun":
            http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038235/
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Walk_in_the_Sun

Very realistic compared to other films and very little mock heroics. But these were too little a too far between.
            Of course, I'm sorry to generalize, another one is "Naked and the dead", or "Young lions" ,or the black and white classic "The Bridge" - I think this one was with German co production and to go off topic, there is one Japanese movie, also black and white, about the Japanese infantry unit, cut off in Guadalcanal fighting, forced to cannibalism, volunteer selection procedures, I can not think of the title off hand, also available for rent in your better DVD rental stores

Comment

• This may have been mentioned (didn't have enough endurance to wade through all 65 pages). It's about Afghanistan, not ww2 but still a good film:
              9 rota -- 9th Company http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417397/

Comment

• Apart from some historical errors I would agree.
                “For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

Max Sterner

Comment

• Originally posted by Erkki View Post
                  Apart from some historical errors I would agree.
                  Hey, can you tell me some of those (or point me to some good website). It's a good movie, but since I'm sort of a history freak I'd like to know. I haven't really read anything about Soviet-Afghanistan war.

Comment

• Originally posted by kek View Post
                    Hey, can you tell me some of those (or point me to some good website). It's a good movie, but since I'm sort of a history freak I'd like to know. I haven't really read anything about Soviet-Afghanistan war.
                    Well the movie was used as a metaphor for the entire war. In the actual battle I think only around 6 were killed, although most were wounded, and they were not forgotten about, they were in contact with command the entire time. Of course there were typical war movie cliches too, but despite all this I liked it.

Also "Snow White" had a better role in 'Peter FM'

There is a thread about this movie in one of the other sections.
                    Кто там?
                    Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
                    Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

Comment

• Hmm I don´t know about any movie apart from Rota 9 (have you tried the game?).
                      “For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

Max Sterner

Comment

• Originally posted by Erkki View Post
                        Hmm I don´t know about any movie apart from Rota 9 (have you tried the game?).
                        Oh, I'm talking about the actress She was in a supporting role in the movie "Peter FM" where she was the friend of the female lead. While the plot was kind of a run of the mill romantic comedy, the shots of Saint Petersburg were outstanding and really show off the city.
                        Кто там?
                        Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
                        Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

Comment

• where can i get a copy of the third blow with english subtitles.

and what about the O Tebe movie mentioned in this thread.

thanks

Comment

• "Stilyagi", but I can't find English subtitle

Comment

• Originally posted by kek View Post
                              This may have been mentioned (didn't have enough endurance to wade through all 65 pages). It's about Afghanistan, not ww2 but still a good film:
                              9 rota -- 9th Company http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417397/
                              Thank you for this, the director must be the Sergei Bondarchuck's son, you know, the one who did the "War and Peace" and also later "Waterloo"

Comment

• There also an excellent documentary titled "Unknown War", hosted by Burt Lancaster, I have several episodes, I taped it in early 80's off the Detroit TV station so it must be on the market here in North America

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X