This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Trendkill View Post
    There is a new English language film from director Edward Zwick who directed such films as Glory, The Last Samurai and Blood Diamond. It is about four Jewish brothers from Poland who join up with Soviet partisans. The movie stars Daniel Craig (James Bond).

It looks like quite the action movie, not so much drama. Nevertheless I think it might be an interesting watch even if just for the action scenes

On youtube anti-semitic Polish nationalists are already complaining about it. That means it can't be that bad.

Comment

• Stalingrad.

Originally posted by Erkki View Post
      Looks like typical Hoolywood, will they never make movies like Stalingrad and Idi i Smootri again?
      I heard about Stalingrad and was at once interested. After "Enema At The Gates" I was looking for something a little... better. All the reviews I read made it sound bad but I saw clips, was interested, ordered it, and was quite pleased. The reviews said there were no likable characters but what about Rolo? Just the bias of those who can't understand the "bad guys".
      I very much liked all the great German expression that are lost in an english translation (Das Boot was the same way).
      I have downloaded a few Russian/Soviet movies and old propaganda films but most I have been unable to get the subtitles working on and, as was said, you lose much to much in story and character development for me to enjoy. If I wanted a stupid action movie I would watch 300. Or if I wanted a good, stupid action movie I would watch Commando
      The mind of man knows no employment more worthy of its powers than the quest of
      righteousness in human affairs; no goal of its labours that is superior to the discovery of the good in the guidance of life.

Comment

• Originally posted by Red Skull View Post
        I have downloaded a few Russian/Soviet movies and old propaganda films but most I have been unable to get the subtitles working on and, as was said, you lose much to much in story and character development for me to enjoy. If I wanted a stupid action movie I would watch 300. Or if I wanted a good, stupid action movie I would watch Commando
        visit www.ruscico.com.

the movies that are being sold there have been translated to english
        Last edited by Andrey; 22 Dec 08, 07:29.

Comment

• Thank you!

Very nice site. Thank you very much for the link. I'm looking forward to seeing some of my favorites in better quality than youtube can offer. And with any luck, finding some new favorites as well. Whatever a person's personal and political feelings on Russia may be, if they cannot appreciate their cinama and, culture in general, they are a fool. Here's to a beautiful land, with wonderful people, and great art.
          righteousness in human affairs; no goal of its labours that is superior to the discovery of the good in the guidance of life.

Comment

Very nice site. Thank you very much for the link.
            What??? Is it new for you????

I have a very good advice for you - spend a little time and read this thried from the beginning.

This site was mentioned not once earlier in this thread...

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrey View Post
              What??? Is it new for you????

I have a very good advice for you - spend a little time and read this thried from the beginning.

This site was mentioned not once earlier in this thread...
              You know, Andy, you could have just said "you're welcome", c'mon man!

Comment

• It's cool. I usually try to read the entire thread so as not to repeat what others have said, and sound like a douf but this one is fairly long and there is a lot of good stuff on these forums. I can easily lose hours here when I have more important things to do elsewhere.
                I will certainly read through before asking any questions about movies that have been addressed previously. I have already found a couple that seem pretty interesting, to me at least.
                Thanks again for having patience with an impatient bastard like myself.

Comment

• I'd be happy to tell you about any movie you have questions about that I might have seen, RS. Don't worry about it! Some people take these forum things too seriously.

Comment

It's cool. I usually try to read the entire thread so as not to repeat what others have said, and sound like a douf but this one is fairly long and there is a lot of good stuff on these forums. I can easily lose hours here when I have more important things to do elsewhere.
                    I will certainly read through before asking any questions about movies that have been addressed previously. I have already found a couple that seem pretty interesting, to me at least.
                    Thanks again for having patience with an impatient bastard like myself.
                    I usually don't repeat in the same scale the info which was MANY TIMES described a few dozens pages before in the same thread. So if you don't read previous pages you will save a few hours. But you'll lose a lot of interesting info. Think yourself what is more important for you.

And remember that I am a Russian and not an American. We speak in another manner. According russian rules of speaking i haven't said anything insulting.
                    Last edited by Andrey; 26 Dec 08, 21:12.

Comment

I usually don't repeat in the same scale the info which was MANY TIMES described a few dozens pages before in the same thread. So if you don't read previous pages you will save a few hours. But you'll lose a lot of interesting info. Think yourself what is more important for you.

And remember that I am a Russian and not an American. We speak in another manner. According russian rules of speaking i haven't said anything insulting.
                      But you are dealing with Americans, you wouldn't make a very good diplomat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
                        But you are dealing with Americans, you wouldn't make a very good diplomat.
                        I'll never know all the details how to be delicate with Americans so let they will remember I am a Russian...

Comment

I'll never know all the details how to be delicate with Americans so let they will remember I am a Russian...
                          Ok here is my little guide for you on how to "deal with the Americans":

1) Reply to all PM's. Even if you have nothing to say except "OK, yes". Or something.

2) Don't say "read yourself" etc.

3) Don't say "I can't belive you didn't know! You should know".... they don't know and they are willing to learn, appreciate it, don't berate and alienate those who are open to learn.

4) Save "I am Russian" type of stuff for Shamil. You are on an American forum, you should be the one minding who they more.

I like you and I am not trying to start anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
                            Ok here is my little guide for you on how to "deal with the Americans":

1) Reply to all PM's. Even if you have nothing to say except "OK, yes". Or something.

2) Don't say "read yourself" etc.

3) Don't say "I can't belive you didn't know! You should know".... they don't know and they are willing to learn, appreciate it, don't berate and alienate those who are open to learn.
                            I dislike the style of your lecture. The most of your advices is used in Russia also and you don't open something new for me.

I'll speak how I think I should speak.

And I suppose you are puffing up the problem, in Russia we speak "turn a mouse into an elephant".

4) Save "I am Russian" type of stuff for Shamil. You are on an American forum, you should be the one minding who they more.
                            ???? I supposed it is an international forum and not an American one. Moreover, I supposed the difference of this sub-forum is that it is done by RUSSIANS for English-speaking public and the presence of Russians here is much more than in an ordinary American/Western forum about WWII. So it is not an AMERICAN forum (I am not a citizen of the US, I didn't promise to anyone to use American rules, I am a free person). And let the public here remember about it also and remember the Russian rules of behavior can differ from American ones.

Comment

• Relax Guys

I was not offended at all and merely was trying to be conciliatory. I am also pretty sure this thread is one of your personal favorites and I can understand if I may have offended you somewhat by not reading through all of it. Or just repeating something else that has been said here.
                              In actuality most Americans I know are more prone to take offense than I am and are more likely to be rude if they feel they have been offended. Perhaps I would fit in better in Canada, eh?
                              Thank you for this thread, as it is somewhat difficult for us in the States to find out about Russian/Soviet films.

Comment

I was not offended at all and merely was trying to be conciliatory. I am also pretty sure this thread is one of your personal favorites and I can understand if I may have offended you somewhat by not reading through all of it. Or just repeating something else that has been said here.
                                In actuality most Americans I know are more prone to take offense than I am and are more likely to be rude if they feel they have been offended. Perhaps I would fit in better in Canada, eh?
                                Thank you for this thread, as it is somewhat difficult for us in the States to find out about Russian/Soviet films.
                                My idea was that "it is a pity that you haven't read the full thread and have lost your time, energy and money".

My idea was NOT that "I don't want to spend my time and efforts to repeat to lazy americans what I have already written earlier"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X