This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by .sergio. View Post
    IMHO it's easy to understand why these movie are usually better. They had no need to make movies for profit.
    I am not going to argue about taste. To each his own I say.

However, to say that they didn't have to make profit and imply that there were somehow more free artistic expression is nonsense. There were plenty of directives some implicit others not so that Soviet movie makers had to follow.

Comment

• Originally posted by pp(est) View Post
      I am not going to argue about taste. To each his own I say.

However, to say that they didn't have to make profit and imply that there were somehow more free artistic expression is nonsense. There were plenty of directives some implicit others not so that Soviet movie makers had to follow.
      they had directives to follow to make profit ?
      could you prove this?
      Could you show me all the directives to follow to make profit for Tarkovskij's movies? If you can't I assume that you never exit from the antisoviet-nonsense-mode.

Comment

• Originally posted by General Staff View Post
        Yes, in the West we get this too. 'Saving Private Ryan' for example.
        and what else? Star Wars?

Comment

• Originally posted by .sergio. View Post
          Star Wars?
          Sounds OK. At least we're trying to escape.

The only reason the Soviets never landed a man on the moon is because they were frightened he would not want to come back.

The only reason the Soviets never landed a woman on the moon is because they were frightened of the propaganda pictures- I mean 'after all those steroids, and we show a woman with a beard?'.

The only reason the Soviets never landed a man AND a woman on the moon is because they were frightened they would set up a single-sex commune- then reproduce.
          Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
          (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

Comment

• Hmm there have been good films made in both East and West. The best are made by those who want to say something, if it happens to please people who pay to see it, or promote the ideology of the state (Tarkovsky was not a propagandist, Eisenstein was but made great stuff doing so) but they are not set out to please the masses or the bosses.

Films made with profit in mind or to hammer propaganda home are usually bad IMHO.

I like Star Wars btw (original trilogy, only good thing about the prequels were the light saber duels, Ian McDiarmid as Palpatine and Natalie Portman's belly).

Comment

• I had heard The Soviet cinema on profitableness was on the second place after alcohol sale.
              In 1985 total fund raising from sale of tickets has made 1,1 billion rbl. (it is a scale those years and I do not know as to count in the modern prices. I think it is 154 000 000 000$ but I could make a mistake).

about soviet movie censorship:
              A main reason why soviet movies was a very good it is a soviet movie censorship, because the soviet movie censorship debarred a wrong movies in production
              "In case of war guys in dark blue berets will be thrown in a mouth to an aggressor on purpose to break off this mouth"
              Vasily Margelov the father-founder of the Soviet airborne troops

Comment

• Originally posted by SunCat View Post
                In 1985 total fund raising from sale of tickets has made 1,1 billion rbl. (it is a scale those years and I do not know as to count in the modern prices. I think it is 154 000 000 000$ but I could make a mistake).
                Yes, and this is one of the main reasons for the collapse of the USSR. Improper statistics, improperly collected, improperly reported.

Comment

Yes, in the West we get this too. 'Saving Private Ryan' for example. A lump for the past is one thing, choking on it quite another.
                  Yeah, you should heed your own advice, cold warrior. You don't just have a lump for the past, more like a goiter! With "USSR" written on it.
                  Last edited by Emil_G; 20 May 08, 16:49.

Comment

• Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
                    USSR written on it.
                    An acronym for the 'US Saved Russia'. JC, Emil, where have you been all these years?

Comment

An acronym for the 'US Saved Russia'. JC, Emil, where have you been all these years?
                      If you don't like where Russia is now, you have only the US to blame. US and "saving" is an oxymoron. Perhaps only France in '44, and only spoken without any Frenchmen around.

Comment

• Pleasing 'Staff

Originally posted by General Staff View Post

Please keep this in mind, and please read it very carefully :

"We, the russians and the germans know everything about you and your culture, and you know absolutely nothing about us, you do not even try !"
                        Be very careful, because I'm gonna challenge your knowledge about germany.

What does it make you ? Please do not damage your image we have of you,
                        unless you want to accommodate us. You only picked a few issues from my post's, that you thought might be for your own personal amusement.
                        You did not reach for any of the essential topics that I was adressing, since you confessed an interest in german and russian culture.

Comment

• Originally posted by Konzev View Post
                          Please keep this in mind, and please read it very carefully...
                          I did. But this is ACG, not some dark damp cell in the circle of Lubyanka.

I do have an interest in Russian and German culture, but detest everything Soviet, Fascist or Totalitarian, excepting their curiosity values as collectors items.

Please read this very carefully too: decouple Russian car from Soviet train. If you don't there will surely be a train wreck, with many Russian casualties.

Comment

I did. But this is ACG, not some dark damp cell in the circle of Lubyanka.

I do have an interest in Russian and German culture, but detest everything Soviet, Fascist or Totalitarian, excepting their curiosity values as collectors items.

Please read this very carefully too: decouple Russian car from Soviet train. If you don't there will surely be a train wreck, with many Russian casualties.
                            A trainwreck, kind of like your old man jokes, puns and analogies?

Comment

• Well if my train is wrecked and stopped, at least there were no casualties. Now can you please take your fingers off your mouse, get off your a**/keyboard and call 911?

Comment

• No, there were casualties, many many - taste and humor among the worst two.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X