Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All of it is almost certainly true. Exactly my point, here, there and wherever else I post.

My best sources of encouragement and future change are my mistakes. But you can't encourage change if you deny mistakes.
    Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
    (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

Comment

• Re: General Staff

Originally posted by General Staff View Post
      All of it is almost certainly true. Exactly my point, here, there and wherever else I post.

My best sources of encouragement and future change are my mistakes. But you can't encourage change if you deny mistakes.
      I appreciate your humor, and since you confessed a sincere interest in Russian culture, we should move on to the next level.
      If you truly want to understand russian culture, you could start viewing Russian and Soviet movies. It will come as a surprise to you, that you will find an old and ancient sources of of history with a very rich culture.
      I fell in love with russian culture, when I was watching russian movies on east german TV. Since I love history, I found out very quickly how much better russian (at that time soviet) movies compared to the commericialized
      "western" productions. Because they included more complexity and where not geared to please the dumbed down masses only.
      If you look up all the older threads on this topic here, you will find a lot of useful information, with links to numereous movie sites and to Youtube.
      Most Germans have no hard feelings toward Russian people and do not understand american russiophobia. Angela Merkel will probably not win the next election, because of her Bush inspired russophobia.
      Did you know, that almost as many german immigrants settled in Russia
      than went to America , over the last 400 years ?
      My family wing, mothers side, from the province of lower saxony left germany
      after the 30 years war ( a war that lasted from 1618-1648) turned northern germany into a wasteland that killed half of our population. More Germans perished, than in ww1 and ww2 combined.
      We settled in the lower wolga area. Some moved to the Baltics and eventually
      to Riga Latvia, where we established a Pharmacy. Very successfully, so that the young could be sent to St.Petersburg University. It was there that my GrandGrandfather met a beautyful Ballerina from Cheljabinsk (Siberia) and russian blood entered my familyline.
      During WW1 my Grandfather and his brother enlisted as military cadets in the czarist army. My grants brother got killed by retreating Russian soldiers
      motivated by the bolsheviki, who he tried to rally back to the frontlines.
      In the ensuing civil war, my grandfather wanted revenge and joined the baltic landwehr. Latvia archived victory and became an independent country.
      In 1939, i believe , my family lost everything in Latvia, because Ribbentrop and Molotov signed a pact, in which Russia could take the Baltic countries back and Hitler could have Poland. All german non communist had to leave Latvia. Half of my family left. My uncle a surgeon, an Aunt, proffessor at Riga University stayed, I still do not know what happend to them after WW2.
      The last letter from the red cross was notice of being drafted into the Soviet army. My Grandfathers family was resettled to Posznan in Poland. My Grandfather became an Officer in the Wehrmacht.
      This in effect, my family fought on both sides in world war 2.
      Eventually my mother ended up as a refugee on my Dad's farm in Westfalia
      Germany.
      So please in the future do not act like a person cut out from a hollywood sitcom, who believe that americans are gods gift to earth. Read up on the subject before you offend . I'm not a communist, I'm just anoyed by American ignorance and arrogance on certain topics. You seem to know more than we do on the subject, and to your information, we will always jump to the defence of our past, if we get challenged in your fashion.
      May be this is not entirely your fault, considering how your current administration is acting. We are human beings like everyone else, and our past and current, is absolutely not like it is presented in your fluffy media.
      Last edited by Konzev; 19 May 08, 17:42.

Comment

• Originally posted by Konzev View Post
        I appreciate your humor, and since you confess a sincere interest in russian culture, we should move on to the next level.
        I hear you. I listen. I will look into it. I've corrected a little of your English, since it is personal, not ideological. Please PM me suggestions.

There is a big R in Russian culture, just as there is a big W in the USA's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_a_...Mad,_Mad_World , so if you can edit your post to read 'Russian culture' it would be appreciated.

Comment

• Landeswehr! That is interesting, my other grandfather fought Landeswehr at the battle of Cesis. I'd love to discuss it, but in another thread.

Found an English trailer for this
          Last edited by pp(est); 19 May 08, 17:55.

Comment

• Pleasing ' Staff

Originally posted by General Staff View Post
            I hear you. I listen. I will look into it. I've corrected a little of your English, since it is personal, not ideological. Please PM me suggestions.

There is a big R in Russian culture, just as there is a big W in the USA's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_a_...Mad,_Mad_World , so if you can edit your post to read 'Russian culture' it would be appreciated.

It was an easy thing to change the sylables, now what bugs me is the relevance of the mediocre comedy you pointed out to me.
            I'm running an international videostore in Parry Sound Ontario/Canada, and I still carry this silly little peace of "entertainment" on VHS, saw it about 20 years ago, and I have totally forgotten about of what went on in it.
            Probably nothing of any substance. I'm too old now, to waste my remaining years on silly nonsense comedies which are not even funny. For about 20 years of running my Videstore, I saw almost every crappy hollywood movie,
            slowly tranforming me into a compleate ignoramus, and this one was part of it.
            I did all that, until my perubian wife woke me up :
            "Don't watch too much of this neocolonialist **** !"
            They don't tell you the truth about their exploitation of south america.
            And trust me, knowing a Lady like my ex wife, you wanted to study south-american history. And guess what, you guys (the US of A) doesn't look very pretty in it. Making a long story short, the internet came along and I happen'd to be in a studying mode. I literally went on a shopping rampage
            for my videostore, worldwide .

Comment

• Originally posted by pp(est) View Post
              Landeswehr! That is interesting, my other grandfather fought Landeswehr at the battle of Cesis. I'd love to discuss it, but in another thread.

hahaha very funny, please elaborate on the topic "Baltic Landwehr".
              Have you seen :
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfwyv3yDLog
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnQN2...eature=related
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoMJf7CHLqA

Comment

Landeswehr! That is interesting, my other grandfather fought Landeswehr at the battle of Cesis. I'd love to discuss it, but in another thread.

What's the point? That Baltic actors were unfairly typecast as only Nazis? Yeah, sorry they didn't get many Yakut actors for the roles, what were they thinking?!

Comment

• Emil, the point is a tongue in cheek documentary about Soviet war flicks and things common people here didn't know. Eve Kivi, Tõnu Aav and Lembit Ulfsak are all very respected actors here. I never knew before that they were moonlighting aside for the wider Soviet audience as nazis and blondes (Eve Kivi as Soviet style Ilsa is hilarious, if you knew her other work).

They compiled a collection of over 300 Soviet war movies for this project.

Comment

• So this is just the film part of the "Infowar"? Trashing the Soviet Army in film?

How am I not surprised?

Enjoy it.

Comment

Emil, the point is a tongue in cheek documentary about Soviet war flicks and things common people here didn't know. Eve Kivi, Tõnu Aav and Lembit Ulfsak are all very respected actors here. I never knew before that they were moonlighting aside for the wider Soviet audience as nazis and blondes (Eve Kivi as Soviet style Ilsa is hilarious, if you knew her other work).

They compiled a collection of over 300 Soviet war movies for this project.
                      I remember many movies where non-Baltic actors played Germans. So what? I remember a lot of movies where Balic actors played "good guys" and not Nazies.

Have you seen "Nobody wanted to die"?

Comment

• Trashing? It's more like a tribute to clichés.

Andrey, no I haven't seen.

You guys take this way too seriously.

Comment

Trashing? It's more like a tribute to clichés.

Andrey, no I haven't seen.

You guys take this way too seriously.
                          Maybe because a lot of these old movies, like "They Founght For the Motherland" are not cliche to us? Certain scenes still put a lump in my throat.

Comment

I appreciate your humor, and since you confessed a sincere interest in Russian culture, we should move on to the next level.
                            If you truly want to understand russian culture, you could start viewing Russian and Soviet movies. It will come as a surprise to you, that you will find an old and ancient sources of of history with a very rich culture.
                            I fell in love with russian culture, when I was watching russian movies on east german TV. Since I love history, I found out very quickly how much better russian (at that time soviet) movies compared to the commericialized
                            "western" productions. Because they included more complexity and where not geared to please the dumbed down masses only.
                            IMHO it's easy to understand why these movie are usually better. They had no need to make movies for profit.

Originally posted by Konzev View Post
                            So please in the future do not act like a person cut out from a hollywood sitcom, who believe that americans are gods gift to earth.
                            you are so optimist

Comment

• Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
                              Certain scenes still put a lump in my throat.
                              Yes, in the West we get this too. 'Saving Private Ryan' for example. A lump for the past is one thing, choking on it quite another.

Comment

I'm running an international videostore in Parry Sound Ontario/Canada, and I still carry this silly little peace of "entertainment" on VHS, saw it about 20 years ago, and I have totally forgotten about of what went on in it.
                                Then as a Capitalist I'd have to worry about the viability of your business, since you plainly cannot see or understand a classic movie when it stares you in the face.

A bit like the Big W.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X