This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dave T View Post
    I have been away from the forum for some time and hope I am not repeating what has already appeared here. I have tried using search to check but with little success...
    you have missed the battle for katyn
    http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=63571

Comment

• Any Soviet classics on blu-ray yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrey View Post
        you have missed the battle for katyn
        http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=63571
        Indeed I did miss this thread. Thanks for signposting it for me, but, having sampled a few pages of it, I think I will steer well clear and ease myself back into the forum gently!

Comment

Indeed I did miss this thread. Thanks for signposting it for me, but, having sampled a few pages of it, I think I will steer well clear and ease myself back into the forum gently!
          "A la geur com a la geur".

Sometimes it is necessary to fight and it is possible to stay a gentleman even in such debates.

Comment

• I just stumbled over the "Katyn"
            debate. It took me the last three days to read all of the opinions,
            whenever I managed to find time to.
            I don't want to ignore LIST's
            closing, so this thread I'm opening is just one of admiration for Andrey, who i consider a great debater:
            Sticking strictly to documents and the facts, without ever refering to namecalling or going of topic, he fought of waves of "ventilators"
            Having said all this, I also have watched the movie Katyn a few weeks ago. Yes, this incident was
            a warcrime, and the Stalinist System
            is to blame for it. Andrey never denied this fact. However, the "Ventilators" tried hard to turn it into something else, into something it was not.

Comment

• "Ventilators"

Originally posted by Konzev View Post
              I just stumbled over the "Katyn"
              debate. It took me the last three days to read all of the opinions,
              whenever I managed to find time to.
              I don't want to ignore LIST's
              closing, so this thread I'm opening is just one of admiration for Andrey, who i consider a great debater:
              Sticking strictly to documents and the facts, without ever refering to namecalling or going of topic, he fought of waves of "ventilators"
              Having said all this, I also have watched the movie Katyn a few weeks ago. Yes, this incident was
              a warcrime, and the Stalinist System
              is to blame for it. Andrey never denied this fact. However, the "Ventilators" tried hard to turn it into something else, into something it was not.

Now I'm going to define my "name calling" : "ventilators"
              A culture of easy answers and easy solutions is developing into the northamerican media circus, manipulating the uneducated and hollywood dulled consumers, with rightgesness and neoconservative "values".
              I'm refering here to Noam Chomskies "Manufacturing Consent"
              Behind it, are big money, the advertisers and the inadvertantly flamboyant
              Rupert Murdoch. The truth being marginalized, readers up here in Canada have to experience an increasing high volume of media lies.
              Yes, facts still get reported, but not by relevance or importance. Scandahls and pure nonsense making the headlines, and news that do not question the ruling elite, serious issues are quickly brushed out of the consumers radarscreen. The consumers radarscreens sedated by clever spin masters,
              are geared now, to only recive big brothers propaganda.
              If you are intelligent, not a sceptic, of little or no curiousity, loving the warmth of your envirement, you believe with a passion in what you are being told, because you live in a life of comfort and joy.
              Unfortunately, I'm a sceptic, and I'm curoius, and I don't believe in the lie, that only Hollywood movies can be good and everything the so called "free press" reports is the truth and nothing but the truth.
              I found [General Staff's] a typical product out of this enviroment, with a mix
              of neoconservative arrogance, looking down on the percived commie russians
              who dare to talk back.
              wwogstil a poster with a religious believe in "western value's",
              Cyberknight, a selfdeclared John Wayne intellectual,
              Metryll. a Sarkozy amplefier of "equal caliber" to his master.
              In short the choosen few "Ventillators" who elected themselves to show off
              against the challenging voices of the strangely foreign subjects Sergio, Emile G, Errki and Andrey.
              My respect and admiration beyond or between the waring factions goes to
              the Full Monty, a true englishmen, setting severall records straight.
              He didn't buy "General Staff's": I'm an englishmen too ! crossdressing act.
              Posting as an US-american in a british uniform.
              Full Monty, trying to tell General Staff, that being an englishman, is about fairness.

Comment

I have been away from the forum for some time and hope I am not repeating what has already appeared here. I have tried using search to check but with little success...
                There is a Russian Guy with a channel name of GalaBiR on Youtube who has uploaded a number of good russian films with English subtitles on YouTube. I am finding the whole range very good and helpful to my Russian Language learning. Amongst the films uploaded are "The Cuckoo" and "Around here the dawns are quiet". The films are in segments of about 10 minutes each but it is well worth a look if you haven't been able to get the DVDs.
                I know it is off topic slightly but I have also viewed a Finnish film also with English subtitles: "The Winter War" about the Soviet - Finnish conflict. It is a newish film and though I can't judge its accuracy, it seems authentic and some of the combat sequences are up there with the beach assault in "Saving Private Ryan" for graphic portrayal of infantry combat and random death. It build slowly from initial mobilisation and deployment before the troops reach the front, but I thought it well worth watching.
                Hi Dave
                I have all of those movie for quite a while now, some are 3 years and older, and they have indeed english subtitles. They are widely available on ebay or special dvd movie sites now. I encourage you to read the previous posts from the last few month. I posted a lot of the newer titles, some with links to Youtube or other sites. Take a look at them, it's worth it.

Comment

• I found [General Staff's] a typical product out of this enviroment, with a mix
                  who dare to talk back.
                  wwogstil a poster with a religious believe in "western value's",
                  Cyberknight, a selfdeclared John Wayne intellectual,
                  Metryll. a Sarkozy amplefier of "equal caliber" to his master
                  HAHAHA! Exactly right. Especially General Staff. Rep for you, sir.
                  Last edited by Emil_G; 18 May 08, 21:52.

Comment

• Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
                    Any Soviet classics on blu-ray yet?
                    I am serious about this, you guys! Sorry, maybe it is just my ignorance, do they have blu-ray in Russia at all? This could be the deciding factor for me getting a blu-ray disc player.

Comment

I am serious about this, you guys! Sorry, maybe it is just my ignorance, do they have blu-ray in Russia at all? This could be the deciding factor for me getting a blu-ray disc player.
                      It is in Russia but the discs for it are too expensive. Itis very rare in Russia now.

Comment

HAHAHA! Exactly right. Especially General Staff. Rep for you, sir.
                        Well, I'll take this as a compliment. And suggest too that Full Monty is an English Fifth Columnist. I always get a special thrill and consider it an honour to know that when the Revolution comes- as it surely will- I'll be the first up against the wall and shot.

Konzev, Emil_G and others. I have to wonder that when the firing squad is produced and issued with the appropriate number of rifles, whether each of you will be capable of holding 3, 4 or more of them. I might just survive with a walk, since it's hard to shoot 4 rifles straight.
                        Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
                        (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

Comment

• Originally posted by Konzev View Post
                          I found [General Staff's] a typical product out of this enviroment, with a mix
                          who dare to talk back.

Comment

• Originally posted by General Staff View Post
                            Well, I'll take this as a compliment. And suggest too that Full Monty is an English Fifth Columnist. I always get a special thrill and consider it an honour to know that when the Revolution comes- as it surely will- I'll be the first up against the wall and shot.
                            Ok, I'm ready

Ehi GS, don't worry : it's only a toy.
                            You won't be the first and even the last.
                            Last edited by .sergio.; 19 May 08, 10:34.

Comment

• Originally posted by .sergio. View Post
                              You won't be the first and even the last.
                              I know, I know, just a statistic.
                              Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
                              (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

Comment

• Originally posted by General Staff View Post
                                I know, I know, just a statistic.
                                nope, you aren't worth even of a plastic bullet

Btw, what do you think about this US-Korean Katyn? http://wiredispatch.com/news/?id=174859

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X