X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian book on penal battalion

Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
    What book is this?
    The book is Alexander V. Pyl'cyn Penalty Strike: The Memoirs of a Red Army Penal Company Commander, 1943-45, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull UK, 2006, ISBN 1 874 622 63 9. Edited by Artem Drabkin, and Vol 1 in a series 'Soviet Memories of War'. Publisher's website: www.helion.co.uk, email: [email protected]. 25.00, or about $ 50.00, perhaps cheaper via Amazon or Abe.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Charles Markuss: The book is Alexander V. Pyl'cyn Penalty Strike: The Memoirs of a Red Army Penal Company Commander... Edited by Artem Drabkin...
      Emil, then very probably you can find this memoris (maybe shorter version) in www.iremember.ru - this is Artem's web-site.

Comment

• Thanks Charles and Vitaly. I have heard of this book, I thought it might be the one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
          Found this link on a different forum. It is a youtube accnt with lots of Soviet movies with English subs. It is borken up of course, and is youtube quality but it's free....maybe some of you would be interested. Right on the front page, is a great movie - The Heart Of Dog, based on a M. Bulgakov novel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/GalaBiR
          This was a great link!!!
          "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM" - " If you want peace, prepare for war".

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Originally posted by Vitaly View Post
            I do not agree. For example, even NKVD people (e.g. the former husband of Galina, Berzin) are shown as quite human persons. Internally conflicting, often spoiled, but still human persons...

Also, Shalamov keeps some humor even in extremely bad situations...

First, this movie was made most of all for us Russians...

Second, the problem is not in such movies or books (Shalamov, Solzhenicyn, etc). The problem is which movies Western mass-media prefers to show about Russia. Several years ago one my friend has had a talk with Swedish journalist working in Russia. He (the Swede) said that Swedish mass-media mostly accepts only negative reports from Russia (about bandits, prostitutes, corruption, etc.). He could make a positive report but nobody would buy it...

There is a lot of movies which show other, positive, sides of the life in USSR and modern Russia but who shows them in the West? Now they often show here in TV the clown-like The marrige (by Lungin; although it is a good movie after a close look IMHO) but they never show The Island (by the same Lungin).

So, the problem is not in movies (I do not talk about rubbish like 9th company or Strafbat) but which selection of movies is available for the most of Westerners...
            This is exactly what I meant! I remember seeing good Soviet era Russian films with subtitles, in the 70s... You see, back then, Finland had strong economic ties, and the students had a strong communist movement going, and thus, Russian things were more showed to us...

Later it has been said that it was just to please the men at the Russian embassy, as Finland was sort of the USSR's, 'mini gateway to the west'... There was certainly a special relationship... It was unique infact...

I wont go into it, but the result was that we got to see some of the good russian films, back then...

But, nowadays, even in Finland, or perhaps even more than usual in Finland (I find that the British newspapers reporting about Russia, and things Russian, is more relaxed in tone than it is in Finland), is like in Sweden, just focusing on the negative facts... I mean if Russia would be only what we see in the tv, St Petersburg would be a great mafia battleground, with only black markets, and a mixture of postwar Berlin in 1945 and Chigago in 1930! But it's not like that, I have been there, and I had a nice guide, a friend's friend, and she showed me the most popular tourist spots in St petersburg, and it was summer, and on another day, we took a picknick in Tsarskoye Zelo, the suburb where the winter palaces were, (the area which was the limit of the German expansion in their bid to take Leningrad in ww2, about 30km from central Petersburg)...

And I had a great time, and people were happy, it was a warm summer... I mean, hey... It's like my friend who knows an Iranian guy through his business, and he says, 'do you think that our everyday life is somehow 'evil', no, it's rather like here in Finland, ofcourse there are differences, but the everyday normal people are about work, family, relationships, having parties, whatever... And they have their propaganda, and we in the west have our...

But, we in the west with our so called freedom of speach ect, should recongize this propaganda that we call
            'the news', on tv every night... In many of the so called 'evil' countries, the people know and are aware that the tv and news is full of propaganda but in the west many people seem to think that we are getting the truth from our medias...

No way! Just isnt so. We should also be aware of 'selective broadcasting', I mean we know how a journalist can take somebodys interview, and if that person hasnt been smart enough to put strickt conditions (like that they will get to see/hear/read the piece before it comes out, and that all that is said will be put in, or if bit's are omitted then it is explained why).

For it is so easy by taking some things out of context, and not putting certain centences in, to manipulate the interview into the direction that the journalist wants...

Now if we think of the world as a continuous interview, our media is doing massive 'out of context' and especially leaving things out... And that is propaganda... A more subtle form, that's all.

Mr Poundr.
            "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM" - " If you want peace, prepare for war".

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Propaganda

Got to agree with you; I know from my own job has stupid or dishonest TV journalists can be.

The imprerssioin is always that the west is perfect and without sin, and all the rest of the world are bounders and ne'er do wells.

By the way, the Comet mounted the 77mm de-rated 17 pounder. Just wondered why you used this picture rather than one with a 'real' 17 pdr?

Comment

• Originally posted by 17poundr View Post
                This was a great link!!!
                No problem. Beware the subtitles are not professionally done and some are quite obtuse, only conveying the general meaning.

Comment

• Originally Posted by 17poundr:
                  This was a great link!!!
                  It is also possible to download separately external subtitles from http://subs.com.ru/list.php?c=engrusubtitles and an avi-file from http://film.arjlover.net/film/

For film.arjlover.net, Andrey gave a short list in English on pages 33-34 of this thread. For IPs detected as not Russian, this server allows downloading only between 04:00 and 10:00 Moscow time. It is absolutely for free although takes 2-3 days for each movie:-)

Tech. details of the combined use of external subtitles and avi-files are given in my post on page 22 of this thread.

Comment

• I have just see "We are from future". The impression is ambivalent.

The war is shown wrong.

The first 3/4 of the movie is full nonsence.

But the last 1/4 of the movie is excellent from psychological point of view, the final part is very impressive, in the end of the movie tears appear in eyes (even in my eyes, my brother watched it in cinema and his girl cried in the end). For the whole movie it is not known what would be in the end.

Comment

• In what way does it show the war wrong? Enemy At The Gates type stuff or something else?

Comment

In what way does it show the war wrong? Enemy At The Gates type stuff or something else?
                        Yes, like Enemy At the Gates. It looks like the authors don't know how military system works. In the movie there are 3 officers in the company - the Commander, Commissar and evil "Osobist" (Counter-Espionage service officer). And one "starshina" (staff sergeant). All the others are privates. It looks like the authors don't know about the structure of a rifle company - about the existence of officers - platoon commanders and numerous sergeants.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrey View Post
                          Yes, like Enemy At the Gates. It looks like the authors don't know how military system works. In the movie there are 3 officers in the company - the Commander, Commissar and evil "Osobist" (Counter-Espionage service officer). And one "starshina" (staff sergeant). All the others are privates. It looks like the authors don't know about the structure of a rifle company - about the existence of officers - platoon commanders and numerous sergeants.
                          I meant do they show stupid things like in human wave, blocking detachment, etc?

Comment

I meant do they show stupid things like in human wave, blocking detachment, etc?
                            There were neither human waves nor blocking detachments.

There were other stupid things.

Comment

• well that's good, smaller innacuracies don't bother me that much, as long as it is not real cold-war type crap lik Enemy, I would watch the movie.

Comment

well that's good, smaller innacuracies don't bother me that much, as long as it is not real cold-war type crap lik Enemy, I would watch the movie.
                                If to compare on which movie to spend money - "they fought for the motherland" or "We are from future" I should vote for the first one without any doubts.

About reality level. The modern "The Star" or "Peregon" ("Tranzit") are very exact in details and while I was watching them I was having the impression I was there, in that time. They are excellent.

The most of the movies inmy list are movies of such type.

"We are from future" is a lower level movie and while I was watching the first 3/4 of it I was always thinking how inaccurate the movie was. Only the final 1/4 is good enough.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X