X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Apostle

Originally posted by Vitaly View Post
    Did anybody watch the new mini-serial "Apostle" (http://fenixclub.com/index.php?showtopic=48819&hl=)?

Is it a good movie?
    This miniseries indeed looks interesting. I would like to look it up on the Imdb.com. The title "Apostle" does not correspond there.
    Can You supply me with the actors names (2 or three would do)
    This way I can find out the english informal title for this film.

Comment

• The famous actors playing there are Eugeny Mironov, Alexander Bashirov, Nikolay Fomenko, and Andrey Smirnov.

Several pieces:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hFvGZNojhOM

Comment

• Who played the Nazis in all of the old movies? Did they use East Germans?

Comment

• Originally posted by Swampwolf View Post
          Who played the Nazis in all of the old movies? Did they use East Germans?
          It depended from movies.

In "Liberation" the German generals were played by German actors from East Germany. Hitler from this movie is the best Hitler I have seen. All the German Generals in the movie were played by real Germans - Manstein, Model and the others.

If there were no German actors moviemakers tried to use Soviet actors from Baltic countries.

Usually it was only about Germans who were main heroes or Generals.

Ordinary soldiers usually were played by local Soviets actors who looked like Germans.

To the point there were Soviet super-stars of German nationality - Alisa Freindlikh, for example. She was a Soviet citizen, was born in the USSR and Russian was her native language.

There were a couple of funny stories about "17 moments of spring".

1. It was necessary to show again and again a lot of young SS-men (in Hitler's bunker, in ReichsChancellory and so on).

The person who sorted out the actors for episodic roles was a Jew and he sorted out many of his friends-Jews to play SS-men in the movie. In result it was very funny to see SS-men with typical Jews appearance.

The director (Lioznova) saw it and ordered to stop this idiocy.

In the result the SS-men were played by cadets-Latvians, Estonians and Lithuaians of a Military College which was in a Baltic Republic of the USSR.

They looked like real Germans.

2. There was a scene where a platoon of Volkssturm was to march in the background of the main hero. There was a problem where to get the people for the scene.

Lioznova came to the nearest public bar.

Itis necessaru to say that a Soviet public bar differed from ordinary Western bar. Normal people visited it very rarely. Girls were there very rarely. It was a place to drink beer. Usually people who liked to drink visited it. They often had unhealthy color of faces and unhealthy figures (fat or think, round-shouldered). The most of them were 40-50-years old men and their faces had traces of difficult life and of drunken alcohol.

And Lioznova entered there and asked: "Comrades, I offer you to take part in my movie."

The people from the bar were dressed as Volkssturm soldiers, got rifles and PanzerFausts.

They assumed a platoon's formation and began to move along the street. Lioznova looked at this and was amazed. The best there was! She saw a real platoon of German Volksstrurm how she imagined it!

Comment

• Was the a Soviet movie about the battle of Kursk titled "liberation"?

there is a short clip of it on YouTube, but I'm not sure exactly what they call it.

Comment

• Just read post #604. He answered my question about the Kursk movie.

Comment

• The person who sorted out the actors for episodic roles was a Jew and he sorted out many of his friends-Jews to play SS-men in the movie. In result it was very funny to see SS-men with typical Jews appearance.

Kind of like:

"HOOOOGAN!?"

Well, I don't know if he has the 'typical appearance' but he was a Jewish actor.

Comment

• Originally posted by timochenko View Post
                  Just read post #604. He answered my question about the Kursk movie.
                  I can advice you to read this thread from the beginning. It contains info about the "Liberation" and about other best soviet military movies.

"Liberation" is a mini-Tv series (5 parts) that describes the events from the Kursk Battle till the end of the war. Its first part ("The Fired Arch") describes the Kursk Battle (in russia it is known as the Battle in the Kursk Arch).

Comment

• Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
                    Kind of like:

Well, I don't know if he has the 'typical appearance' but he was a Jewish actor.
                    To be a Jew dosn't mean to have a "typical Jewish appearance".

And in Russia "a Jew" - means nationality. But I knew a few months ago (and was wondered by it very much) that in USA a Jew means religion!!!
                    Last edited by Andrey; 13 Mar 08, 01:14.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrey View Post
                      To be a Jew dosn't mean to have a "typical Jewish appearance".
                      I know, I never intended to imply otherwise.

Comment

And in Russia "a Jew" - means nationality. But I knew a few months ago (and was wondered by it very much) that in USA a Jew means religion!!!
                        That's debated here, but such an opinion definitely exists. But remember also that a lot of non-Jewish males are circumbsized here... (the Zionist hold on the medical profession).

Comment

I can advice you to read this thread from the beginning. It contains info about the "Liberation" and about other best soviet military movies.

"Liberation" is a mini-Tv series (5 parts) that describes the events from the Kursk Battle till the end of the war. Its first part ("The Fired Arch") describes the Kursk Battle (in russia it is known as the Battle in the Kursk Arch).
                          How, do you write it in latin letters (liberation), as I think they are showing it now in Esonia, where I live now... I would be interested to see it, even If I dont understand the language...

We had a rather new Russian series of about ten episodes on Finnish tv about six months ago, about the punishment battalions that came to being especially during and after late 1942.

The series is based on true events, and tells a tale of a Red army captain, who get's a 'second chanche', by commanding a 'punishment battalion', made up of normal criminals and political prisoners who volunteer to fight rahter than be at the gulag, replacements come all the time, from men sent to the penal units, as this was the preferred punishment in the Red Army, the logic being 'pay your crime by doing the most dangerous duty', rather than just shoot or lock up the men...

The series was not so good, but the subject was very interesting, and some episodes were better than others... I cannot remember the name of it though...
                          "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM" - " If you want peace, prepare for war".

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Originally posted by 17poundr View Post
                            How, do you write it in latin letters (liberation), as I think they are showing it now in Esonia, where I live now... I would be interested to see it, even If I dont understand the language...
                            In Russian it is called "Osvobozhdenie". It is one of the best Soviet military movies.

We had a rather new Russian series of about ten episodes on Finnish tv about six months ago, about the punishment battalions that came to being especially during and after late 1942.

The series is based on true events, and tells a tale of a Red army captain, who get's a 'second chanche', by commanding a 'punishment battalion', made up of normal criminals and political prisoners who volunteer to fight rahter than be at the gulag, replacements come all the time, from men sent to the penal units, as this was the preferred punishment in the Red Army, the logic being 'pay your crime by doing the most dangerous duty', rather than just shoot or lock up the men...

The series was not so good, but the subject was very interesting, and some episodes were better than others... I cannot remember the name of it though...
                            You are speaking about "Shtrafbat".

According my opinion it is very bad movie. It lies. If you want to know more - search what have been written about "Shtrafbat" in this thread.

Comment

• My Iz Budeshgo

http://cgi.ebay.ca/DVD-RUSSIAN-2008-...QQcmdZViewItem
                              Just bought one, will let you know how it is.
                              I should get it from this seller in less than 10 days, I have bought from him before.

Comment

• I got Come and See.
                                I thought it was very good and it looked completely real. The way they held the camera made it look almost like a documentary but without becoming boring.
                                The weakest part was the ending, with a montage of Concentration Camp video and with the shooting of Hitler's picture. I think it took the edge off because all of that is actually kind of passe and it was less powerful than the actual movie.

Comment

Working...
                                X