Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soviet/Russian military movies

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    How would ou rate Das Boot Andrey
    Govenour Of Texas and all southern provinces. Kepper Of The Holy Woodchipper.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Jeremy Scott
      How would ou rate Das Boot Andrey
      I am Russian and I never was in German U-boat - :-).

      But according all my info about German U-boats in WWII "Das Boot" is very good, true and realistic movie about that period of battle for Atlantic when Allies began to win.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Kunikov
        For those interested in a "Band Of Brothers" type series you would like "ShtrafBat" "Penal Battalion" which follows a battalion of GULAG prisoners and other regular soldiers and officers who had been sent to the battalion throughout a few years of the war. It isn't from the beginning to end of the war, but nonetheless an absolutely EXCELLENT and AMAZINGlY well done movie. It just came out a few weeks ago and is 5 DVD's long, each DVD has 2 parts on it the last contains 3, 11 in all. In NY it costs 55 dollars for the set, VHS is 45 dollars.
        Too bad it has so many factual mistakes... For ones there were only one or two penal battalion per-front. They were composed not of GULAG inmates but of officers sentenced by tribunals to various jail-times for various misdeeds. The battalions itself was reminiscent in its TOE to the regular army regiments. And it was commanded by regular army officers and not by convicts. If anybody has a knowledge of Russian, here is memories written by CO of such a penal batallion:http://www.rkka.ru/memory/pylcyn/main.htm - " Penal Strike or how Officer's Penal Battalion went all the way to Berlin". Actions fought by PBs also differed considerably from widely accepted "NKVD MG behind you" theory. For instance 8th independent PB, attached to the 3rd Army under Gorbatov, on february19 1944 inflitrated German rerar areas in the vicinity of Rogachev and conducted 5 day raid (offically recognasance in force) disruptimg German suply lines. Needless to say that there was no blocking detachemnet supervisng that. Btw there was even Penal Fighter regiment (under Soviet ace Fedorov they flew La-5 and gave rather good account of themselves).

        Comment


        • #49
          P.s...

          One of my favorite WW II movies, which for whatever reason, is not all well too known even in CSI is Otriad, which I guess is “the troop” in English. Prisoner of the mountains is another good movie although it is probably more anti-war than war movie.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Oleg Grigoryev
            One of my favorite WW II movies, which for whatever reason, is not all well too known even in CSI is Otriad, which I guess is “the troop” in English..
            It is #29 in my list in first page.

            Prisoner of the mountains is another good movie although it is probably more anti-war than war movie.
            Do you mean "Kavkazskiy plennik"?

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Andrey
              It is #29 in my list in first page.



              Do you mean "Kavkazskiy plennik"?

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Oleg Grigoryev
                What is it?

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Andrey
                  What is it?
                  why, it is a movie poster Seriously though I believe that indeed the Russian name of this flick is a Kavkazskiy Plennik, movie is loosely based on Tolstoy novel. Two major characters paled by duo of Menshikov and Bodrov.
                  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Oleg Grigoryev
                    why, it is a movie poster Seriously though I believe that indeed the Russian name of this flick is a Kavkazskiy Plennik, movie is loosely based on Tolstoy novel. Two major characters paled by duo of Menshikov and Bodrov.
                    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd
                    Yes, it is him.

                    But...

                    1. I do not recall sich picture in movie.

                    2. You had to use Russian name of this movie also.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Andrey
                      Yes, it is him.

                      But...

                      1. I do not recall sich picture in movie.

                      2. You had to use Russian name of this movie also.
                      I was under impression that the initial idea behind the thread was to enlighten our esteemed western audience on the matter of Russian war movies. If somebody from the US audience would want to see it , it would be far easier for then to locate the movie by the English title.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by Kunikov
                        For those interested in a "Band Of Brothers" type series you would like "ShtrafBat" "Penal Battalion" which follows a battalion of GULAG prisoners and other regular soldiers and officers who had been sent to the battalion throughout a few years of the war. It isn't from the beginning to end of the war, but nonetheless an absolutely EXCELLENT and AMAZINGlY well done movie. It just came out a few weeks ago and is 5 DVD's long, each DVD has 2 parts on it the last contains 3, 11 in all. In NY it costs 55 dollars for the set, VHS is 45 dollars.
                        Is this dubbed to English or does it have subtitles?
                        Lance W.

                        Peace through superior firepower.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Lance Williams
                          Is this dubbed to English or does it have subtitles?
                          I am not sure that it is good movie so I do not advice you to spend money right now, buy better other, more old movies...

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Hi Andrey!

                            Do you know where I can find those movies? (the first 10)

                            By now, I found 7."Come and See", 10."At Dawns It's Quiet Here..."

                            I look particularly for the russian long version of 8."Osvobozhdeniye",
                            as well as 1."Oni srazhalis za rodinu", 3."Goryachij sneg", 5."Batalyony prosyat ognya" ?

                            I knew of a website that sold it, but no longer remember the URL...

                            anyway, thx a lot
                            “Die in peace my brothers, but die quietly, so that we hear nothing but the faintest echo of your suffering…”

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by Trigger Happy
                              Hi Andrey!

                              Do you know where I can find those movies? (the first 10)

                              By now, I found 7."Come and See", 10."At Dawns It's Quiet Here..."

                              I look particularly for the russian long version of 8."Osvobozhdeniye",
                              as well as 1."Oni srazhalis za rodinu", 3."Goryachij sneg", 5."Batalyony prosyat ognya" ?

                              I knew of a website that sold it, but no longer remember the URL...

                              anyway, thx a lot
                              Look some first pages, I gave link for EVERY movie and also some sources were shown some later.

                              For example, here is US Internet-shop which provide delivery of movie in US territory for 24 hours after payment.

                              http://www.russianbeat.com/v_tree.cf...E5%ED%ED%FB%E5

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Thx Andrey


                                OK so I've found a site where they sell Освобождение (8."Osvobozhdeniye") for 40 USD for 5 videocassettes.
                                http://www.russianbuy.com/product_in..._102&item=2189

                                the others are available in vhs format through the russianbeat site:

                                1.Они сражались за Родину
                                http://www.russianbeat.com/v_tree.cf...IDCLICKED=1413
                                2.Живые и мертвые
                                http://www.russianbeat.com/v_tree.cf...EIDCLICKED=393
                                3.Горячий снег
                                http://www.russianbeat.com/v_tree.cf...IDCLICKED=1103

                                4.Батальоны просят огня
                                http://www.russianbuy.com/product_info.php?item=2294




                                Also, my pal at gorbushka-canada (www.alldvd.ca) has sent me an e-mail :

                                *Oni srazhalis za rodinu (1975)*
                                WAS NOT RELEASED ON DVD YET (date of future release uknown)

                                *Zhivye i myortvye (1963)*
                                AVAILABLE IN TORONTO (SHIP in 24 HOURS)

                                *Goryachij sneg (1972)*
                                AVAILABLE IN TORONTO (SHIP in 24 HOURS)

                                *Na vojne, kak na vojne (1968)*
                                WAS NOT RELEASED ON DVD YET (date of future release uknown)

                                *"Batalyony prosyat ognya" (1985) (mini)*
                                WAS NOT RELEASED ON DVD YET (will be released in 2005)

                                *Dom, v kotorom ya zhivu (1957)*
                                WAS NOT RELEASED ON DVD YET (date of future release uknown)

                                *Idi i smotri (1985)*
                                AVAILABLE IN MOSCOW (SHIP within 7 DAYS)

                                *"Osvobozhdeniye" (1970) (mini)*
                                WAS NOT RELEASED ON DVD YET (date of future release uknown)

                                *Ofitsery (1971)*
                                AVAILABLE IN TORONTO (SHIP in 24 HOURS)

                                *A zori zdes tikhiye (1972)*
                                AVAILABLE IN TORONTO (SHIP in 24 HOURS)

                                So that's it for the dvd versions.

                                BTW I highly recommend this shop for anyone in North America looking for russian dvds. Fast shipping, excellent prices!
                                Last edited by Trigger Happy; 20 Sep 04, 04:44.
                                “Die in peace my brothers, but die quietly, so that we hear nothing but the faintest echo of your suffering…”

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X