This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Andrey View Post
    I have bought "The Unknown War" - the English version translated to Russian (so I am sure what the English version is).

It's REALLY GREAT.

It shows the Great Patriotic War like the Russians know it.

It contains Russian music and a lot of excellent Russian frames, done by Soviet frontline cameramen.

I Agree with Andrey.
    This show is REALLY GREAT. a Must for who is interested in WW II .

Comment

• Military History Magazine did a "Top 100 War Movies" this month and I was surprised that a seemingly decent Russian film actually made it in! "The Ballad of a Soldier" received a whopping #81 spot on the countdown! There were a few other Russian movies, but all overrated copouts like "Battleship Potemkin" and "Alexander Nevsky" although "War and Peace" made #20. Alas, "They Fought For the Motherland", "The Fate of A Man" or even "The Cranes Are Flying" were not anywhere in sight...

Comment

• Stay away from this one:

In June of '41 2004 - not a bad premise, a pretty interesting one actually but the execution falls flat. Lots of overacting, bad stereotypes and totally fake, silly german 'tanks' and uniforms. Turned this one off about half way, could not finish when the fake overacted caricature of a commisar started sobbing about "our communist motherland! our communist motherland". No. Also in this movie the actors talk in English with Russian dubbing, what? This must be some of the trash Andrey warned about.

Comment

• Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
          In June of '41 2004 - not a bad premise, a pretty interesting one actually but the execution falls flat. Lots of overacting, bad stereotypes and totally fake, silly german 'tanks' and uniforms. Turned this one off about half way, could not finish when the fake overacted caricature of a commisar started sobbing about "our communist motherland! our communist motherland". No. Also in this movie the actors talk in English with Russian dubbing, what? This must be some of the trash Andrey warned about.
          Yes, it is full trash made for Westerners.

Comment

• Yeah I will probably cancel after the free trial. But so far I liked:
            9 Rota
            Turkish Gambit
            Svoi

those 3 were great!

Comment

• "9 Rota" hat some nude scence, so children shouldn't see it.
              Seriously, I prefer the film of Great Patrionic war, because they tell us not only "how did people fight" but also "why did people fight".
              The film I like most is "Zvezda".
              "My only desire is that all of our Party and people, closely united in struggle, construct a peaceful, unified, independent, democratic and prosperous, and make a valiant contribution to the world Revolution" - Ho Chi Minh's will

Comment

• I've have "Zvezda", that is also a good one! "Driver For Vera" has the same lead actor, whats his name...it's pretty good too although it's a drama set in the post-war Soviet army.

Comment

• Al'ka

Hi Emil
                  I noticed You ordered Al'ka from that russian sort of Netflix store.
                  You probably havn't seen it yet, otherwise you would have posted it her.
                  It is indeed a very impressive movie, so much , that I would call it my most favoritehttp://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386943/ russian movie. Please read my viewers comment on the imdb: on where it is called "Klettka" assuming it is the
                  corect translation from the cyrillic word "Al'ka".

I also watching "THE UNKNOWN WAR" right now, which I purchased from Ebay
                  6 weeks ago. I have seen this series, when it was first aired in germany,
                  in 1979. It's the best documentary about the Great Patriotic War I have seen so far. Best, because most of the documentaries made in the west have sort of a russiophobic slant to it, I do not appreciate. I like this documentation series so much, because it is seen from the russian people's point of view, produced by a compassionate american Narrator : Burt Lancaster.

I also like to recommand the minseries "Diversant #1 + #2.
                  Sort of a russian "Band of Brothers" .
                  I would say it is equally good, and it covers a few unknown little battles and fronts, mostly behind enemy lines.
                  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0439358/

Finally watched "1612", a movie I would rate 6 stars out of 10,
                  because it tries to copy and outdo hollywood special effects.
                  Not a bad movie at all, but I liked classic's like "PETER THE GREAT"
                  or "Lomonossov" much better. Because the emphasis there was on historic detail, acting and storytelling.

Now I have my eyes set on "Podkidnoy" allready got it for just $7.99
                  from ebay. And I just ordered "Smert Shpionam"

Comment

• Hi Andrey

I can't access your "arjlover" links:
                    Acess denied

Comment

• Take care!

"Diversant" ("Saboteur") and "Smert Shpionam" ("Death To Spies", its shorten version "SmerSh" was the name of Soviret military counterespionage service) are low quality trash.

The actors are very good, their play is very good. Its quality is low from the historical point of view, the scenarios are stupid and the movies are not interesting.
                      Last edited by Andrey; 20 Jan 08, 19:42.

Comment

• ATTENTION!

arjlover is available for FREE download from 7:00 till 13:00 GMT (London time) for people with non-Russian IPs.

Comment

• Konzev: Yeah I'm still waiting on Alka, that Russian rental service is kind of sucky, I am going to cancel my free trial after I see Alka.

Andrei & Konzev: There is a preview of Diversant that is about 5-10 mins. long and it was looked really interesting...

Comment

• Andrej does not like very many new russian ww2 movies

Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
                            Konzev: Yeah I'm still waiting on Alka, that Russian rental service is kind of sucky, I am going to cancel my free trial after I see Alka.

Andrei & Konzev: There is a preview of Diversant that is about 5-10 mins. long and it was looked really interesting...
                            I loved Diversant #1 + #2, and for just $8.99 at ebay, that what I call "a steal" and you get almost 16 hours of non stop action. As a non russian speaker, I had not too much trouble to follow the story. Sure, they can be made much better, I agree. But there is no reason to trash this title.
                            And I agree with you, Emil about your assessment of "Battle for Moscow"
                            it's filled with propaganda and unrealistic battle-scenes. By far not as good as
                            "Liberation" made in the 70's.

Comment

• There are diamonds in the ruff, but I will give it to Anrdrei about the majority of these movies, I had rented "Second Front" from Netflix last week and oh man was it horrible! Couldn't make it all the way through, just had to turn that s!*t off!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
                                There are diamonds in the ruff, but I will give it to Anrdrei about the majority of these movies, I had rented "Second Front" from Netflix last week and oh man was it horrible! Couldn't make it all the way through, just had to turn that s!*t off!!!
                                yes. "Second Front" is trash also

Comment

Working...
                                X