Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Andrey: See yourself the movie and then write about it. Don't spread unchecked hearsays.
    Originally Posted by Andrey: To spread opinions of the people whose competence and unbiaseness is unknown means to spread hearsays.
    So, you think that my opinion could be 'competent and unbiased', and opinion of that poor reviewer is not :-) Why I have deserved such a credit, and he - have not? ;-) I think, we should stick the principle of presumption of innocence. - You may not rate this review as 'hearsays' until you prove that the author is 'non-competent and biased'. While this is not proved, the review is just a different opinion but not 'hearsays'.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrey View Post
      On November, 4th of 1612 Russian People Militia under the command of Minin and Pozharskii liberated Moscow from Polish invaders. The movie describes those events. The list of the actors is very impressive.

Vladimir Khotinenko is known by his movies "72 meters" and "Transit". Both are excellent.
      Just a little remark about the date: excuse me Andrey, it is not real historical - that topic was discussed in Russia when the holiday was introduced:
      October 22 (November 1, New Style) Kitai-Gorod was taken by the Militia.
      October 26 (November 5, New Style) Kremlin Garrison Commanders signed capitulation. Their russian allies left the Kremlin.
      October 27 (November 6, New Style) Remains of Kremlin Garrison went out the Kremlin and laid their weapon
      No events at the 4th of November 1612, sorry - just another hasty political PR action at 2005 IMO.

As for the movie:
      I saw it. Of course it is not historical movie definitely. There is no Minin, few of Pozharskii, no the Second Militia, no liberation of Moscow. The Director positions it as sort of adventure movie or even as fantasy (his interview) and compares it with "Pirates of the Caribbean". And I agree with him - it's just adventure which relates to the Russian History as well as "Pirates of the Caribbean" relates to the History of Americas.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Rambow: ...No events at the 4th of November 1612, sorry - just another hasty political PR action at 2005 IMO.
        This is not very correct. October 22 (in Julian calendar - 'Old style') exactly corresponds to November 4 (in Gregorian calendar - 'New style') if we take the Julian calendar as the reference point. More info: http://kogni.narod.ru/time4.htm

The point was that, as I remember, the idea of this new civil holiday has been rised by the Russian Orthodox Church, which uses Julian calendar and celebrates The Kazan icon of Our Lady (and related miracles, including the liberation of Moscow as one of them) on October 22.

Comment

• Ot

Originally posted by Vitaly View Post
          This is not very correct. October 22 (in Julian calendar - 'Old style') exactly corresponds to November 4 (in Gregorian calendar - 'New style') if we take the Julian calendar as the reference point. More info: http://kogni.narod.ru/time4.htm
          Vitaly:

Yes, you are right for events which took place in XX or XXI century.

And thank you for the link, it is very interesting article but it confirmed my words directly:
          "Если переводить даты 1612 г. со старого стиля на новый, то следует прибавлять 10 дней, поскольку эти события относятся к XVII веку. Таким образом, при переводе даты старого стиля на новый для 22 октября 1612 г. (старого стиля) мы получаем 1 ноября 1612 г. (разница 10 дней). Следовательно, по новому стилю (т.е. по Григорианскому календарю) освобождение Китай-города произошло 1 ноября."

BTW this matter seems to be off topic for 'RKKA in WWII' forum. I will be glad to discuss it in Warfare Through the Ages Forum if you wish.

Comment

• Russian wer som of the bravst peopl.
            Maggiore :p

From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.
            -Carwood Lipton quoting Henry VI

Comment

• Has anyone seen "The Beast"? For an American movie about Russian soldiers from 1988 it was really good. Basically "Platoon" but Russians in Afghanistan.

Comment

• I've seen "The Beast"...., but it was very long ago, late 1980s I think - not too bad IIRC much better than Rabo III ha ha

Got 9th Company some time ago too - fair movie, but the battle scenes didn't quite convince IMO.

And if you didn't know it:
                Come and See, Ballad of a Soldier and They Fought for the Motherland are all availiable on youtube - with English subtitles..., I'm sure there are others too
                Go to map. Give orders to units.

Comment

• I've been wanting to see 9th Company but I don't think netflix has it yet.

Comment

• the Ninth Company (9 YA ROTA)

This movie is available at amazon.uk.
                    If you wait for netflicks to carry any of those type of movies, you will wait forever.
                    Do it like I did, get a region-free DVD player and shop worldwide.

Comment

• The Storm Gates (Grosovye Verota)

This is a russian miniseries about a platoon defending a mountain pass in Chechnia. The movie is not unlike "9 Ya Rota".
                      I posted a review on the imdb.com :
                      http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0902981/
                      http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0902981/[/URL]

Comment

• My absolute favorite russian movie: Al'ka (Kletka on imdb.com)

I also posted a review on the imdb.com :
                        http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386943/

Also the price of Euro $7.99 is right.

Comment

• Al'ka (Kletka on imdb.com)

Is avaiable to buy here:
                          http://www.petershop.com/en/catalogu...rlin/alka.html

Comment

• Netflix surprised me on a few occasions! 9th Rota seems to be such a huge hit in Russia... But I'll try to track it down somewhere else as well.

I just watched "Svoi" ("Свои") the other day, thought it was great! The POW scenes reminded me of "The Fate of a Man". I will keep in mind Alka/Kletka...never heard of it, but it looks interesting. I watched "The Cadets" with netflix some time ago, some of the actors/acting was good but I didn't love the series overall.
                            Last edited by Emil_G; 26 Nov 07, 22:07.

Comment

• Originally posted by Emil_G View Post
                              Netflix surprised me on a few occasions! 9th Rota seems to be such a huge hit in Russia... But I'll try to track it down somewhere else as well.

I just watched "Svoi" ("Свои") the other day, thought it was great! The POW scenes reminded me of "The Fate of a Man". I will keep in mind Alka/Kletka...never heard of it, but it looks interesting. I watched "The Cadets" with netflix some time ago, some of the actors/acting was good but I didn't love the series overall.
                              Hi Emile
                              9 Ya Rota is not too hard to find, you could get it from russiandvd.com,
                              petershop.com or very cheap from vivante store (an ebay seller with an amazing collection of russian movies).
                              I ordered the 2007 miniseries "Smersh", and a few other ww2 related miniseries from him. Once I have watched them, I will rport on them here.

More and more I stumble over really good WW2 movies, that have the properties of very expansive hollywood productions, but remain totally unknown to western audience. Yes, I watched Svoi a few years ago, and I'n still surprised ut has not gotten a western release.
                              My greatest surprise however is Al'ka ("Kletka" on the imdb.com).
                              And it impressed me so much, it has become my absolute favorite WW2 movie. It simply has everything in it:
                              German Mark V Tank Destroyers, SDKfz's, T34/75's (very rare in "new movies"), T27's, Rata fighter planes, a variety of vintage artillery pieces,
                              authentic period small arms, large panoramic views of battle-ruined cities (computer animated). very, very impressive.
                              The acting just superb, a variety of corky characters, artist's, troubled individuals, most unlikely people getting involved in becomming exceptional soldiers, while professional's fail miserably.
                              Seen from the view of a very beautyful female Ballerina, turning to become one of Russia's most highly decorated Soldiers. Based on a true story.
                              This movie simply swept meaway.
                              It's very hard to believe that this movie production of 2003, is living in oblivion .May be russians don't like it, because they are chauvinistic towards woman and the west simply is not interested in russian war movies.
                              The first half hour of this movieis not even a warmovie, it goes into the
                              enviroment of russian Ballet Students , with elaborates of their sensitivity
                              and creativity. Also from this point a very good drama.
                              Petershop.com is advertising this movie as a 210 minute version. But the movie I got is actually 6 hours long.
                              The pricetag of Euro $7.99 mis a steal.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Konzev: May be russians don't like it, because they are chauvinistic towards woman...
                                What do you mean !!! ??? :-)))

I am currently making English SRT-subtitles for "Torpedo bombers" movie. Got some troubles with a correct translation of Russian military commands into English. Could anybody here help me, pls? The list is short:

Stanovis! = In formation!
                                Rovnyajs' = Ready!
                                Smirno! = Attention!
                                Zdravstvujte, tovarishi! = ?
                                Zdravija zhelaem, Comrade X! = ?
                                Razreshite vstat' v stroj? =
                                Razojdis'! = ?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X