If to use 10 marks system

1.) The Star (Zvesda) available with english subtitles
    Excellent - 10. One of the best movies.

2.) First after God
    Too boring - 4

3.) Bastards (Svolochi)
    trash - 1 Full false.

4.) Angels of death (Angely Smerty)
    an american Actor,Powers Booth is starring in it.
    haven't seen. I doubt it is good.

5.) Leningrad (2006 production)
    also with american actors : Mira Sorvino, Gabriel Byrne a.s.o.
    trash - 2

6. Konvoy PQ17 (2004)
    relatively goood but contains some Soviet era propaganda - 6

7. Major Pugatchevo's last battle (Posledny boy Major Pugatshevo)
    it is about Stalin's camps - 3

8. Esholon (2005)
    very good - 8

9. Svoi (2004)
    very good - 8

10. Men of War (Chelovek voinj) 2005
    too boring, strange work of a cameraman, there is no logic often - 3
    In general I agree with Andrey's opinion on those movies.

Btw, some weeks ago I bought movie "Torpedonostsy" (Torpedo-bombers), its licension copy has 3 languages and many different language subtitles enjoyed much.

Also some days ago I managed to get old movie "Na vsyu ostavshuyusia zhisn'" (For all the residual life). I think it's among the best movies about the war! Psychology of characters are shown brilliantly! One of my favorable movies!!!

Regards
    Alex
    If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

• I think I bought one of these long ago......

The "come and see" movie rings a bell for me here I think. It did'nt seem to brutal as I recall, but it was a while ago.

Something about a kid in a small Russian village that goes out and finds an old battlefield with trenchs and old, mud encrusted German/Russian equipment. Then hiding out in a forrest, trying to find some partisans while his village is being torched??? I can't quite remember it all, I must be getting old....

The "At War is at War" sounds interesting to me, Self-Propelled Arty? guns have always done that to me. Maybe I'll find out more about this one.

Good movie list, thanks for putting it out ther for us!

Cheers

Comment

• Originally Posted by TRDG:

The "come and see" movie rings a bell for me here I think...
        Very good movie, IMHO. The work of director, cameraman, and actors is very good. The director changed very realistic and some absurd scenes in a special way. This allows to feel the horrors of war very well.

Comment

• I would like to buy the miniseries "SOLDATY SVOBODY" from1077:
          http://www.russiandvd.com/store/prod...genresubid=100
          But the price is pretty steep : $49.99 for someone who does not possess russian language skills.
          Has anyone seen this movie, and is it easy to follow for a history fan like me ? I could folow Osvobodshenije no problems.

Comment

• Originally posted by Konzev View Post
            I would like to buy the miniseries "SOLDATY SVOBODY" from1077:
            http://www.russiandvd.com/store/prod...genresubid=100
            But the price is pretty steep : $49.99 for someone who does not possess russian language skills.
            Has anyone seen this movie, and is it easy to follow for a history fan like me ? I could folow Osvobodshenije no problems.
            I saw it VERY many years ago.

It is app. the same as "Liberation"

Comment

• the new Russian movie about Nestor Mahno (Civil War 1918-1922). .......... http://www.nsad.ru/index.php?issue=9...17&article=668
              I never saw the appeal in Makhno's politics but that actually would make a good movie. It's sort of like if somebody had made William Quantrill a governer.

Originally posted by salinator View Post
              Okay, I need some help from you Russian or Russian speaking friends here.

I discovered a place to rent Russian movies, unfortunately all the tapes and DVDs are behind the counter and the old lady who runs the place does not speak English. I have never seen a Russian movie and would like to start with some WW2 stuff. I need some reccomendations, and I prefer the ones that are more historical, not fiction or propoganda. Would someone maybe give me a list of 10 movies to start with. I would need you to list the titles in both English and Russian so I can print out the list and show it to the nice woman. Perhaps you would also be kind enough to equip me with a few phrases like: 1)Is there an English version? 2)Are there subtitles in English? Thanks in advance.
              Just curious as to where you live that you find these kinds of stores? I could ask my old boss from Russia but I wonder if he would even know, because he never had enough time to watch movies.

Actually the ones I most want to see are Liberation, because I think Kursk is the most interesting battle where the Wermacht was decisively beaten while it was still at its peak. Stalingrad is a lot more famous but I think Kursk was equally decisive. The German movie Stalingrad was actually very good and mostly unpatronizing of all parties involved. Some people called it 'Germany's platoon' but that's not how I saw it: There are some heavy handed anti-war statements here and there (the soccer player gets his foot blown off......like I didn't see that coming) but overall the movie is balanced and realistic.
              The other one is Company 9. Is this a new trend for movies about modern wars? I hope that it is. There should be something on the border conflicts with China or a movie about the last stand at Hill 776 in 2000. Maybe it's something too sensitive to be made into a movie in Russia, but it's not an uncommon thing here and that doesn't mean it would be a bad movie: Black Hawk Down was about a defeat (where the casualty rate was extraordinarily against Al Quaeda) but it was still a great movie.

Andrey: I don't know what you see in Clint Eatswood's movies but I hated them both. He was a renegade back in the '70s and made movies that were outstanding, but once he was accepted by Hollywood and made that racist piece of trash Unforgiven, he has done nothing but insult us all the time. I'm not going to say that everyone in a Marine uniform is a hero - we have the bottom 10% who are cowards, alduterers, alcoholics, psychos, etc - but those movies were a slap in the face to everyone who died there.
              Last edited by Swampwolf; 03 Oct 07, 23:07.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swampwolf View Post
                Actually the ones I most want to see are Liberation, because I think Kursk is the most interesting battle where the Wermacht was decisively beaten while it was still at its peak. Stalingrad is a lot more famous but I think Kursk was equally decisive. The German movie Stalingrad was actually very good and mostly unpatronizing of all parties involved. Some people called it 'Germany's platoon' but that's not how I saw it: There are some heavy handed anti-war statements here and there (the soccer player gets his foot blown off......like I didn't see that coming) but overall the movie is balanced and realistic.
                I disliked that "Stalingrad".

The other one is Company 9. Is this a new trend for movies about modern wars? I hope that it is. There should be something on the border conflicts with China or a movie about the last stand at Hill 776 in 2000. Maybe it's something too sensitive to be made into a movie in Russia, but it's not an uncommon thing here and that doesn't mean it would be a bad movie: Black Hawk Down was about a defeat (where the casualty rate was extraordinarily against Al Quaeda) but it was still a great movie.
                About Hill 776 (I think you mean the evehts of 2000 when the 6th Company of the Pskov Airborne Division closed narrow road in mountains and fought against 2,500 Chechen bandits, only 3-4 soldiers survived but the company didn't let them to breakthrough before the arriving of the main forces):
                - "Chest imeiu" ("I have the honour")
                - "Grozovye vorota" ("Thunder gate")
                - "Proryv" ("Breakthrough")
                Last edited by Andrey; 04 Oct 07, 02:59.

Comment

• Re : Geddon

Hi Geddon
                  I ordered a lot of russian DVD's from Petershop.com, and it has become beside russiandvd.com my favorite store.
                  The movie price is right, the delivery very quickly from germany to canada,
                  and the product quality is excellent. I also ordered a lot of movies from
                  ruscico, but they are very slow to release new titles, and are a bit expansive.
                  Now to your draw:

1.) Your link to "THE CRANES ARE FLYING" is the russian language version only.
                  2.) Your link to the remake of "And Dawns Are Quiet Up Here" , is a chinese version, and notavailable in english audio or subtitles. The movie was made by a famous chinese moviemaker in 2005, it is very very close to the original.
                  The original is available at ruscico with english audio and or subtitles.

3.) Aty Baty Shly Soldaty is now available with english audio and subtitles,
                  under the title "One Two Soldiers Where Going ...
                  by this distrubor, just dig a little bit deeper.

4.) "BALLAD OF A SOLDIER" is now very widely available at almost any
                  place. I got mine years ago from amazon.ca

5.) "LENINGRAD" is one of the best russian warmovies I have seen lately,
                  and I heart on the imdb.com, that it will be released in english by early
                  next year.
                  5.) I havn't seen "BEZ PRAVA NA PROVAL" nor do I know what it is about.

If you like to take one of my top russian movie collection,I recommand
                  this one:
                  http://www.petershop.com/de/catalogu...rlin/alka.html

Comment

• To Swampwolf

I would like to know, what do you find rascist in Clint Eastwoods movie
                    "THE UNFORGIVEN" I quite do not understand.
                    In Canada we view this movie as Clint Eastwood's greatest archivment.
                    His two new warfilms are well recived and praised.
                    I'm very much with Andrey on this subject.
                    I own the Nestor Machnow Miniseries and I found the story historically very accurate. Itwas a great pleasureto watch.
                    My russian is very very poor, but I could follow the film easyly.

Comment

• To Andrey

I ordered the Miniseries "Soldaty Svobody".

Did you read my review on the imdb.com for Kletka [(Alka) at Petershop.com].
                      And what do you think?
                      I'm surprised that this very good miniseires has almost no recognition.

Comment

next year.
                        "Leningrad" is a trash

Comment

To Andrey

I ordered the Miniseries "Soldaty Svobody".

Did you read my review on the imdb.com for Kletka [(Alka) at Petershop.com].
                          And what do you think?
                          I'm surprised that this very good miniseires has almost no recognition.
                          I haven't seen "Alka" sop what can I say about it?

Comment

next year.
                            For me it was enough to see 1.5 episodes to become sure authors had absolutely no ideas about realities of that time.
                            And episode with the bus made made me almost to fell down from the armchair from laugh
                            If it was air attack, what was the most reasonable decision to gather in one place, or to disperse? Every man more or less experienced in military subject will answer - to disperse. The authors of the movie was SO MUCH dumbs, that couldn't invent nothing more except gathering all the people to the bus.
                            Hey, maybe they thought the bus could fly away, or obtain armor like Tiger tank?

So, never take this movie as reality. It had nothing common with it.

Regards
                            Alex
                            If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X