X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Col. Dyess View Post
    Thanks for letting us know Andrey.
    Can you give us a brief description on what its about?
    It sounds good if it has Lt. Travkin in it!!!
    XIX Century. The junior officer was sent to the Caucasus (border region with constant rebels of Chechens). The main story is in a spa. Loves, duels, and so on. Sometimes - small fights against Chechens. Ordinary life.

Comment

• Okay, I need some help from you Russian or Russian speaking friends here.

I discovered a place to rent Russian movies, unfortunately all the tapes and DVDs are behind the counter and the old lady who runs the place does not speak English. I have never seen a Russian movie and would like to start with some WW2 stuff. I need some reccomendations, and I prefer the ones that are more historical, not fiction or propoganda. Would someone maybe give me a list of 10 movies to start with. I would need you to list the titles in both English and Russian so I can print out the list and show it to the nice woman. Perhaps you would also be kind enough to equip me with a few phrases like: 1)Is there an English version? 2)Are there subtitles in English? Thanks in advance.
      Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

• Originally posted by salinator View Post
        Okay, I need some help from you Russian or Russian speaking friends here.

I discovered a place to rent Russian movies, unfortunately all the tapes and DVDs are behind the counter and the old lady who runs the place does not speak English. I have never seen a Russian movie and would like to start with some WW2 stuff. I need some reccomendations, and I prefer the ones that are more historical, not fiction or propoganda. Would someone maybe give me a list of 10 movies to start with. I would need you to list the titles in both English and Russian so I can print out the list and show it to the nice woman.
        ??? Look this thread.

Perhaps you would also be kind enough to equip me with a few phrases like: 1)Is there an English version? 2)Are there subtitles in English? Thanks in advance.
        1 Est angliiskaia versiia?
        2 Est angliiskie subtitry?

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrey View Post
          ??? Look this thread.

1 Est angliiskaia versiia?
          2 Est angliiskie subtitry?
          I was just hoping for like a 'starter package' because I have no idea where to begin. And I think I need to show this lady the list in Russian characters.

Prayers.

BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by salinator View Post
            I was just hoping for like a 'starter package' because I have no idea where to begin. And I think I need to show this lady the list in Russian characters.
            In my lost I gave the original Russian names (in Russian) written by Cyrillic and Latin letters.

If she don't understand Latin letters, pronounce them to her.

Say them you are interesting the movies about WWII.

In Russian it is

"Filmy pro voinu, pro Velikuiu Otechestvennuiu Voinu"
            Last edited by Andrey; 28 Aug 07, 08:12.

Comment

• Originally posted by DANNGOC View Post
              "9 rota" is not good, unlike "Afganski izlom" (the Italian star played a good character).
              This post came up then I googled Afganski islom. My friend who had served in Afghanistan in spetznaz recommended this film to me as the most authentic fictional account of the war.

Comment

• Hi Andrey & DanGooK
                I apologize for having been absent for over half a year, have been very, very busy. I also apologize for not answering the pop up messages: I was unable
                to open them, there must be some sort of firewall in my computer, that prevented me from reading them. In all this time, I have purchased a lot of russian war movies, and have watched most of them. Most of them where excellent.

Comment

• To Salinator
                  Where do you live in the states, I live in Parry Sound Ontario, and I carry about over 300 russian war and historical movies in my international videostore. No language barrier here, by the way I'm a german-russian-canadian.
                  Ernst

Comment

• I like to start with three titles that have come out with english subtitles
                    or even english dubbed.
                    1. Aty Baty Shly Soldaty (One-Two Soldiers Were going....
                    A very good movie about a small group of russian infantry men destroying 17 german tanks at an important river bridge.
                    Based on a true story . A monument is marking this place today.
                    Starring the charismatic Leonid Bykov.
                    The other movie is also with Leonid Bykov:
                    2.) Only "Old Men" Are Going To Battle
                    About a russian air-plane- fighter squadron. Wher the squadron leader is a great musician. Thsi movie does not contain many action scenes or special effects, but the story and ambiance is of highest quality. The song of
                    the "Moldavian Darky" haunts me to this day. One of the most beautyful songs I have ever heard. I recomand any viewer to watch the extras of this DVD.
                    The third one is "THE HOT SNOW" (Goryachi Sneg)
                    It comes also with an english dubbed version, of very good quality.
                    Andrey has described this movie earlier in his post, so there is no need to get into more detail of this movie. Also there are some good viewers comments now to read on the IMDB.com . I strongly recommand any northamerican viewer, to watch the extras first. You will enjoy this movie so much more.

Comment

• Now to the movie that has impressed me the most:
                      It's a miniseries, it has no english subtitles, it was made in 2003, and it took me a while to find out the latin title on the IMDB. It was marketed by petershop.com and russiandvd.com. I ordered it first from russiandvd, but they answered me, that they where out of stock. So I ordered "Al'ka"
                      aka "Surrounded" from petershop.com in germany. Had a hard time finding this title on the IMDB, but was successful, when I crossreferenced the actors.
                      And the title on the IMDB is > "KLETKA" <
                      This movie impressed me so much, I wrote a very long viewers comment
                      for the IMDB there : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386943/
                      saleslink: http://www.petershop.com/en/catalogu...rlin/alka.html

Comment

• To PP
                        I own the german version (dubbed in german only) of Afghanskj Islom.
                        "HOELLE OHNE AUSWEG" (Hell with no exit).
                        I got it from amazon.de.
                        And I agree with DanNGoc (I miss-spelled his name with no bad intention up there).This movie is storywise better than 9YaRota (now available as the "9th Company" on Amazon.uk) and therefore more realistic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Konzev View Post
                          To Salinator
                          Where do you live in the states, I live in Parry Sound Ontario, and I carry about over 300 russian war and historical movies in my international videostore. No language barrier here, by the way I'm a german-russian-canadian.
                          Ernst
                          I'm in California. Tell me more about your store.

Prayers.

BoRG

Comment

• re:Salinator

Thank you very much foryour interest.
                            I immigrated from germamy in 1984,and I opened a videostore in remote northern Ontario. My store is quite genuine, I have collected over 18'000 movie titles. Since I run this store as or like a hobby, I'm not looking too much into making a big profit, just too feed this hobby of mine, to collect movies dealing with history from all over the world. I like to look over the usual horizon, like to go and see where very few have knowledge about.
                            I'm shipping out movies to schools and universty's.
                            If I really want a movie badly,I even get them without english subtitles.
                            I would say, out of the 18'000 titles,I have about 4000 that deal with
                            world history, and about 1500 that deal with WW2. Out of those 1500,
                            about 180 are russian ww2 movies. Half of them are from the soviet aera,
                            and the other half are recent post communist productuions.
                            I spend a lot of time,chasing for new titles.
                            You mentioned some good mew russian ww2 movies, here would be a sample list:
                            1.) The Star (Zvesda) available with english subtitles
                            2.) First after God
                            3.) Bastards (Svolochi)
                            4.) Angels of death (Angely Smerty)
                            an american Actor,Powers Booth is starring in it.
                            5.) Leningrad (2006 production)
                            also with american actors : Mira Sorvino, Gabriel Byrne a.s.o.
                            6. Konvoy PQ17 (2004)
                            7. Major Pugatchevo's last battle (Posledny boy Major Pugatshevo)
                            8. Esholon (2005)
                            9. Svoi (2004)
                            10. Men of War (Chelovek voinj) 2005

Comment

• Re : Salinator 2

I want to mention one more, because this is a movie of special interest for americans. It tells the story of young female american pilots flying fighter planes from alaska to siberia , to help strenghtening the depletet russian airforce in 1942.
                              The movie is called:
                              "Peregon" (transit)
                              (By the way,Andrey sended me this movie from Omsk)

Comment

• If to use 10 marks system

1.) The Star (Zvesda) available with english subtitles
                                Excellent - 10. One of the best movies.

2.) First after God
                                Too boring - 4

3.) Bastards (Svolochi)
                                trash - 1 Full false.

4.) Angels of death (Angely Smerty)
                                an american Actor,Powers Booth is starring in it.
                                haven't seen. I doubt it is good.

5.) Leningrad (2006 production)
                                also with american actors : Mira Sorvino, Gabriel Byrne a.s.o.
                                trash - 2

6. Konvoy PQ17 (2004)
                                relatively goood but contains some Soviet era propaganda - 6

7. Major Pugatchevo's last battle (Posledny boy Major Pugatshevo)
                                it is about Stalin's camps - 3

8. Esholon (2005)
                                very good - 8

9. Svoi (2004)
                                very good - 8

10. Men of War (Chelovek voinj) 2005
                                too boring, strange work of a cameraman, there is no logic often - 3

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X