This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Swampwolf View Post
    That is an exception to the rule of Pacific Marine movies and I think it is possible because Wayne's character was based off of those real veterans who were trusted beyond standard Marine discipline. In the Marines, "John Wayne" is a euphamism for a man with sloppy appearance or who acts beyond his position.
    I only want to see Clint Eastwood's movies. They will be available in Russia in a couple of months.

Well that has to do with two things: The war with Germany was an ideological war and not an apocalyptic race war like the war with Japan. German soldiers, despite a decade of Nazi doctrine, still retained a similar culture, and they were our new allies. Apart from the SS, German soldiers weren't known for brutality towards our prisoners or even our downed pilots (their MPs actually protected bomber crews from public lynchings, in contrast to Japan where they would die painfully at the hands of enemy soldiers). And, of course, focusing on the ideology and key groups as the enemy allowed us to make pro-war movies without offending our new allies. Reconciliation with Japan was much harder and there were books and movies made just for this purpose (like Hell in the Pacific).
    Hmmm.... I spoke about Germans/Soviets image....

The movies that portrayed hypothetical WW3 movies didn't portray the Russians in an offensive or overtly racist way. Even in Red Dawn the Soviet soldiers, with the exception of officers, act like any other soldiers - concerned for their men, telling jokes, and not showing the combat fatigue so common in modern movies. If anything, non-war movies are the ones that make fun of people.
    I saw Red Dawn and a few other such movies and want to say the Russian in that movie were shown very bad. They are like robots, they are soulless Communist warriors. Try to look "72 meters" (or "V zone osobogo vimaniia" ("in the zone of the special attention") - a Soviet movie of the 70th), for example, and to compare how Russians are shown there and in Western movies.

If you like Platoon, know that it is not an accurate picture of that war at all, except for combat conditions. Other than that the movies you have been watching are good. I'm surprised so many of ours are available everywhere, actually.
    Yes, I like Platoon. I think Oliver Stone who was there have right to show what he saw there. If you want to say that the bad treatment of Americans towards Vietnam civilians was a lie so I want to remind you the name of one village - May Lay (in Russia it is known as Songmi).

I see also "Apocalypse now", "Deer hunter", "Birdy", "Born of the Fourth of July" and some others. There is no smoke without a fire.

And it is wrong to think my info is based only on movies. For example, I have "War in Vietnam" by Davidson at my home library.

Comment

• Platoon and the others are nonsense but even in America most people don't know anything about that war even if they think they do.

But either way, I hope some studio brings over the Russian war films anyway. There are a lot of WW2 movies being made in foreign language and there is a good market for them, so it makes sense that someone would do it.

Comment

• Looks like an interesting book: "Russian War Films: On the Cinema Front, 1914-2005" by Denise J. Youngblood. See http://www.amazon.com/Russian-War-Fi...dp/0700614893/

Comment

• I saw "Flags of Our Fathers" yesterday. It's a really great movie!

Comment

• Flags of Our Fathers received very mixed opinions over here. Either you hate it or you love it. Personally I thought it was very good, but I wish they had showed a little more of the battle and a little less bond tour. If you liked Flags of Our Fathers, you probably will like its companion film Letters From Iwo Jima which is told from the Japanese side.

Comment

• When I was on my flight to Japan last week (11-hours flight!!!), I have watched both "Letters From Iwo Jima" and "Flags of Our Fathers". Good movies, IMHO.

Andrey, sorry for some offtop but have you seen the new Russian movie about Nestor Mahno (Civil War 1918-1922). What is your opinion? I have seen only this review: http://www.nsad.ru/index.php?issue=9...17&article=668 (sorry, it is in Russian but with several nice screenshots).

Comment

• Originally posted by Vitaly View Post
                Andrey, sorry for some offtop but have you seen the new Russian movie about Nestor Mahno (Civil War 1918-1922). What is your opinion? I have seen only this review: http://www.nsad.ru/index.php?issue=9...17&article=668 (sorry, it is in Russian but with several nice screenshots).
                Haven't seen it

Comment

• Originally posted by Vitaly View Post
                  When I was on my flight to Japan last week (11-hours flight!!!), I have watched both "Letters From Iwo Jima" and "Flags of Our Fathers". Good movies, IMHO.
                  I have seen "Letters from Iwojima" also. Very good movie. Clint Eastwood is a very good moviemaker!

Comment

• http://www.ozon.ru/context/detail/id...?partner=amvas

Btw, recently again watched this movie "Torpedo-bombers"
                    Again found how realistically it was made!
                    I know very few movies where such a degree of realism is shown in equipment! And of course, scenario is excellent!
                    I noticed some bugs, but they were not too serious...

This version of DVD has multi-language sound-track (English, Russian, French) and numerious subtitles.
                    highly recommend to everybody!

Regards
                    Alex
                    Last edited by amvas; 16 Jul 07, 12:21.
                    If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

• Can anyone help me to find English subtitle for "Franz i Polina"?

Comment

• DANNGOC: Can anyone help me to find English subtitle for "Franz i Polina"?
                        Do you mean external subtitles like SRT-format? I have been looking for them last month but without any succsess. BTW, there are lots of subtitles for Russian military movies in http://subs.com.ru/list.php?c=engrusubtitles Unfotunately, "Franz & Polina" is not listed there :-(

Comment

• A DVD "Franz + Polina" that is being sold in Russia have got both Russian and English subtitles.

Comment

• Yesterday I saw "A hero of our time". It is a brand new mini-Tv series (6 parts) based on the classic novel by M. Yu. Lermontov. It is not about WWII, but it is a really masterpiece in the best traditions of the Soviet/Russian movies.

It is about an officer in the Caucasus in XIX Century.

EDIT: Oh, it is related a little to WWII. The main hero, Pechorin, is played by Igor Petrenko. In 2002 he played Lt. Travkin in the famous "Star"...
                            Last edited by Andrey; 08 Aug 07, 08:59.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrey View Post
                              Yesterday I saw "A hero of our time". It is a brand new mini-Tv series (6 parts) based on the classic novel by M. Yu. Lermontov. It is not about WWII, but it is a really masterpiece in the best traditions of the Soviet/Russian movies.

It is about an officer in the Caucasus in XIX Century.
                              It is also a very famous novel and considered the first the great Russian 19th Century novels.

I have this book but I have not read it yet - it's not too long IIRC.
                              http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

• Thanks for letting us know Andrey.
                                Can you give us a brief description on what its about?
                                It sounds good if it has Lt. Travkin in it!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X