X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zvezda

Originally Posted by Andrey:
    1. Yes, Zvezda is an excellnt movie.
    I like it very much too. However, there are several strange routes in the scenario, e.g.:

1) Why Travkin sends "Vorobyshek" (the most weak, not really trained member of the group) for such very important task as taking the portable radio transmitter? How the German soldier could have a time to conceal himself under the bed if Mamochkin entered the sentry-box suddenly? Why this German soldier did not shoot at Mamochkin after shooting at "Vorobyshek"?

2) Hidding at the wooden shed was a very stupid idea (they put themselves in a mouse trap). The scene of the last battle could not be so long in reality. - All group would be killed in 1 minute at this small shed having thin wooden walls...

So, the original book "Zvezda" is anyway better than the movie, IMHO. Maybe, the previous version of this movie (1949) is better than the new one (I did not watch the old movie).
    Last edited by Vitaly; 03 Jun 07, 14:51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vitaly View Post
      I like it very much too. However, there are several strange routes in the scenario, e.g.:

1) Why Travkin sends "Vorobyshek" (the most weak, not really trained member of the group) for such very important task as taking the portable radio transmitter? How the German soldier could have a time to conceal himself under the bed if Mamochkin entered the sentry-box suddenly? Why this German soldier did not shoot at Mamochkin after shooting at "Vorobyshek"?

2) Hidding at the wooden shed was a very stupid idea (they put themselves in a mouse trap). The scene of the last battle could not be so long in reality. - All group would be killed in 1 minute at this small shed having thin wooden walls...

So, the original book "Zvezda" is anyway better than the movie, IMHO. Maybe, the previous version of this movie (1949) is better than the new one (I did not watch the old movie).
      I thought both the book and the movie were very good, the only difference I saw in the two was that the last scene in the movie was not the last scene in the book.
      "This isn't Paris, you will not get through here with a Marching Parade!" Defenders of Stalingrad
      "Man is the only animal that deals in that atrocity of atrocities, War. He is the only one that gathers his brethren about him and goes forth in cold blood and calm pulse to exterminate his kind. He is the only animal that for sordid wages will march out... and help to slaughter strangers of his own species who have done him no harm and with whom he has no quarrel.... And in the intervals between campaigns he washes the blood off his hands and works for "the universal brotherhood of man" - with his mouth". Mark Twain
      "It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” Voltaire

Comment

• "Trial on the roads"

Originally Posted by Kunikov:
        I thought both the book and the movie were very good, the only difference I saw in the two was that the last scene in the movie was not the last scene in the book.
        If we talk about the new movie, it differs from the book very much, not only in the final scene.

A few minutes ago, I finished watching the movie "Trial on the roads" (Proverka na dorogah), USSR, 1971. It is a very good movie! Strongly recommeded to watch it! The partisan life, etc. is shown in a very realistic way (I red many memoirs in www.iremember.ru, and the movie resembles these stories very much).

Unfortunately, I did not find English description. Russian description is here: http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Проверк...#1100;м).

Comment

If we talk about the new movie, it differs from the book very much, not only in the final scene.

A few minutes ago, I finished watching the movie "Trial on the roads" (Proverka na dorogah), USSR, 1971. It is a very good movie! Strongly recommeded to watch it! The partisan life, etc. is shown in a very realistic way (I red many memoirs in www.iremember.ru, and the movie resembles these stories very much).

Unfortunately, I did not find English description. Russian description is here: http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Проверк...#1100;м).
          I read the book soon after seeing the movie, I didn't see that many differences.
          "This isn't Paris, you will not get through here with a Marching Parade!" Defenders of Stalingrad
          "Man is the only animal that deals in that atrocity of atrocities, War. He is the only one that gathers his brethren about him and goes forth in cold blood and calm pulse to exterminate his kind. He is the only animal that for sordid wages will march out... and help to slaughter strangers of his own species who have done him no harm and with whom he has no quarrel.... And in the intervals between campaigns he washes the blood off his hands and works for "the universal brotherhood of man" - with his mouth". Mark Twain
          "It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” Voltaire

Comment

If you want to understand the last scene, I must watch the Zvezda made in 1962. Zvezda 1962 have the same scene at wooden barn, but its not the last. The rest members of the group escape and still fight in the rear of Germans till death (as the origin book). So I think that the director of Zvezda 1999 just cut the last of 1962 short to be more impressive.
            I like the boook more. If you want to understand russian, you must read their literature, especially "Vaina i Mir" of Lev Talstoi.

Comment

I don’t want to discuss the events of “Zvezda” in details. You should remember that the people who haven’t seen it yet want to get pleasure and to tell them all the final events of the movie is not a good idea. I only want to add that I re-looked the episodes you describe and I think all was OK there.

Comment

“Check on roads” is not a movie about partisans. It is a movie about humanism, about trust to people. As I remember Rolan Bykov, a famous Soviet actor, played the Commissar of a partisan detachment. His hero is a very good man. I again don’t want to tell the details of the movie. I only want to describe one episode. The partisans mined a large railroad bridge across a large river. They laid in a bank of the river and were waiting for a German military train to exlode it together with the bridge. Suddenly they saw a huge barge which slowly moved along the river. The barge was full of Soviet POWs guarded by German sentinels. There were hundreds, thousands of POWs there. And the barge approached to the bridge and became to move right under the bridge. In that moment the partisans heard the sound of the train. The train was also approaching to the bridge. If the bridge exploded it would fall right on the barge. What to do? Each partisan looked at the commissar. The Commissar looked on the barge and didn’t give order to explode. The train began to move along the bridge. There was no order. The train crossed the bridge and its sound disappeared. The barge moved away from the bridge. Then the commissar gave the order and the bridge exploded…

Comment

• Originally posted by DANNGOC View Post
                  If you want to understand the last scene, I must watch the Zvezda made in 1962. Zvezda 1962 have the same scene at wooden barn, but its not the last. The rest members of the group escape and still fight in the rear of Germans till death (as the origin book). So I think that the director of Zvezda 1999 just cut the last of 1962 short to be more impressive.
                  I want to say that Zvezda of 2002 is much and much better thanZvezda of 1962. The movie of 2002 is real masterpiece. Music, effects, action and work of the cameraman are combined in an excellent manner. In some episodes a lump is gathering in the throat. I think it is the second best Russian movie about WWII after the collapse of the USSR (The first is Franz+Polina, the third is "Peregon").

About Franz+Polina I want to say its impression on me was like from "Shindler's list".

Comment

• misc.

Originally Posted by Kunikov:
                    I read the book soon after seeing the movie, I didn't see that many differences.
                    Well, if we talk about the mainstream, it is indeed very similar in the movie and in the book. But the details differ very much. For example, in the book, there is no episode with the new staff arrival (Brazhnikov + Kentakov + Bykov) and recruiting of Vorobiev (named Golubovsky in the book). I can easily give you another dozen of such examples...

Originally Posted by DANNGOC:
                    Zvezda 1962 have the same scene... If you want to understand russian, you must read their literature, especially "Vaina i Mir" of Lev Talstoi.
                    Actually, I am Russian ;-)

First vesion of "Zvezda" has been made in 1949 and released in 1953, not in 1962.

Originally Posted by Andrey:
                    You should remember that the people who haven’t seen it yet want to get pleasure and to tell them all the final events of the movie is not a good idea.
                    You are quite right, sorry... But I see that you violate this gold rule yourself when telling this episode from "Trial on the roads" :-)

When you write that it "is not a movie about partisans" it is not right, of course :-) I quite agree that it, in the first place, tells about humanism, repentance, and trust to the people. But all these dramatic events occur within the partisan life.

Here are good reviews of "Trial on the roads" www.foma.ru/podcasts/cinema/157/ and "Franz+Polina" www.foma.ru/podcasts/cinema/24/ (only in Russian, sorry).
                    Last edited by Vitaly; 04 Jun 07, 14:45.

Comment

You are quite right, sorry... But I see that you violate this gold rule yourself when telling this episode from "Trial on the roads" :-)
                      The episode that I described about "Check on roads" is auxuliary to the main events of the movie. I didn't describe episodes with that Vlasovits who came to partisans.

If you look on my reviews you'll see I try to not to describe what will be in the end of the movies. I give only description of initial events and the common advertisement.

Here are good reviews of "Trial on the roads" www.foma.ru/podcasts/cinema/157/ and "Franz+Polina" www.foma.ru/podcasts/cinema/24/ (only in Russian, sorry).
                      Try to check yourself what IS on those links.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Andrey:
                        Try to check yourself what IS on those links.
                        What do you mean? Of course, I listened these podcasts before I posted the links...

Last week, I watched movie "We are from Kronshtadt" (USSR, 1936) about the Civil war in Russia. Many WWII veterans tell that this movie was very popular that time; it was a cult film like "Chapaev". Of course, it is made in "revolutionary-romantic" style of that time and has many offsprings of communist propaganda. But anyway, it was interesting to watch it, since all is given in a very sincerely manner. Even this "revolutionary-romantic" style gives a good feeling of 1920-30s:-) They used a real English tank Mk (machine-gun) - trophy of the Red Army, I think :-)

But most probably no English subtitles are available for this movie... It is too old...

Comment

What do you mean? Of course, I listened these podcasts before I posted the links...
                          The first link jumps me on the "History of world chrishtians. part 2"

The second link jumps me on the page where there is 1 (one) comment in a Russian. The comment is done by a women (!!!) who haven't seen the movie (!!!).

Do you think such links are good?

Last week, I watched movie "We are from Kronshtadt" (USSR, 1936) about the Civil war in Russia. Many WWII veterans tell that this movie was very popular that time; it was a cult film like "Chapaev". Of course, it is made in "revolutionary-romantic" style of that time and has many offsprings of communist propaganda. But anyway, it was interesting to watch it, since all is given in a very sincerely manner. Even this "revolutionary-romantic" style gives a good feeling of 1920-30s:-) They used a real English tank Mk (machine-gun) - trophy of the Red Army, I think :-)

But most probably no English subtitles are available for this movie... It is too old...
                          Yes, I remember that movie. Its really great. I saw it when I was a boy. Very impressive.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Andrey:
                            ...Do you think such links are good?
                            Yes, they are OK if you read these pages carefully:-) There are links to pm3-files on these pages; they contain the reviews. Now I give VERY direct links: www.foma.ru/podcasts_files/files/157.mp3 and www.foma.ru/podcasts_files/files/24.mp3. The former is devoted not only to "Trials on the roads" but anyway it can be of some interest, IMHO. (Both files are in Russian!)
                            Last edited by Vitaly; 06 Jun 07, 07:04.

Comment

• Gents,
                              I'm looking for the name of a film. I caught a bit of it on TV. Looked modern. The part I saw was had a captured German soldier tied on to a iron loop that had been driven into a rock. He used his glasses to make a magnifying glass to set alight to some grass and then used the heat to steadily break the rock around the iron stake and get away. That is about all I saw.

Any ideas?
                              Wolster

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolster View Post
                                Gents,
                                I'm looking for the name of a film. I caught a bit of it on TV. Looked modern. The part I saw was had a captured German soldier tied on to a iron loop that had been driven into a rock. He used his glasses to make a magnifying glass to set alight to some grass and then used the heat to steadily break the rock around the iron stake and get away. That is about all I saw.

Any ideas?
                                The modern Russian "Cuckoo". That guy was a Finnish soldier-deserter. The Germans dressed him in uniform of Waffen-SS (for him to not try to surrender as the Soviets disliked SS-men), gave him sniper rifle and locked him to a rock.

The guy who played that Finnish soldier is a real Finn who is famous actor playing in Russian movies.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X