• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Konzev View Post
    Hi Andrey

[They fought for their Motherland]
    For being produced during the soviet aera, it is an excellent movie,
    because Sergeij Bondartchuck kept to an absolute minimum with soviet propaganda. I suppose he got away with it, because of his aristic capabilities.
    The way he paints a battlefield is genius, If the viewer has seen some of his other masterpeaces like WAR AND PEACE and WATERLOO, he probably could confirm my view. Not only sticking to the details of action, you also witness
    the state of mind, of some individual soldiers, their thirst for water, hunger for food (which often was very scarce), their pain of older war wound and their fear, when confronted with the enemy. Take a look at the equipment,
    their is to 95% authentic uniforms and weaponry displayed, even a Tiger Tank
    and some Panzer Mark III + IV.
    What is your grade for this movie?

My favorite episode is when the Soviet infantry raised in counterattack and the two waves began to approach to a hand-to-hand fight. The soldirer who was played by Bondarchuk himself fixed a bayonet to his rifle and raised from his fox-hole. Then he went to the Germans. The camera showed now him, now a German soldier whom he went to. Every time the music was different. The German approached with fear in his eyes. He tried to fix a magazine to his MP-40 but couldn't do it fecause of his fear. Bondarchuk went to the German with much resoluteness in his eyes and in a moment the camera turned its attention to his bayonet and suddenly a sun ray glittered on the top of his bayonet. The impression from it wa excellent.
    Last edited by Andrey; 10 Dec 06, 21:46.

Comment

• They fought for their Motherland

My rating for this movie is a clear 10/10.
      I have 2 copies of this movie in my video store, and both have returned their purchase price in less than a year.
      My canadian customers where pleasantly surprised when they watched it, and even more surprised that it was a movie they had never heard about.
      This is a movie that you can not buy from the regular american distributors,
      Amazon.com and amazon.ca do not have it listed. I ordered those movies from ruscico.

Comment

• Could somebody please tell me the meaning of the word 'Zvezda?'
        Spaciba.
        The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
        Sideshow Bob.

Comment

• Originally posted by Geek44 View Post
          Could somebody please tell me the meaning of the word 'Zvezda?'
          Spaciba.
          'Zvezda' means 'star.

If you speak about the movie "Zvezda" it was the callsign of a Soviet recon group.

PS: Spasibo.
          Last edited by Andrey; 10 Dec 06, 21:44.

Comment

• Thanks Andrey. Spacibo. Gotcha.
            The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
            Sideshow Bob.

Comment

• Looking for an old Soviet war movie - with horned german troops as the enemy!

hello,

I hope someone can help me. I'm looking for a probably very strange old soviet war movie. I saw it when I was maybe 5 or 6 years old, but that was the only time I saw it. that was about 25 years ago, but I still keep remembering the movie from time to time.

here's what I can remember about the movie. it was about a small russian village where for some reason only teenage boys lived in. the village was being attacked by enemy troops that LOOKED like WW II german troops, but they were some sort of fictional troops, because although they had german helmets, those helmets had HORNS on them! so basically they were german troops wearing horned helmets (if that makes sense). also whenever they attacked the village, they marched side by side like napoleonic armies, had drummers and were carrying nazi-like banners, although I don't think those banners had swastikas on them (though I can't be sure, I was about 6 at the time).

the boys who were defending their home village had dug trenches and were shooting the enemy troops from there. the boys were hopelessly outnumbered but somehow they still managed to beat the horned enemy troops. also I remember the music in the movie was fantastic. it is possible, that the movie was made either around 1943-1945 or 1950-1955.

if anyone has any idea what movie I'm talking about, please speak up. if someone knows a friend who might know old russian movies like that or a resource where I can ask (mabye some russian forum?), please answer as well. I'd really like to find this very first favourite movie of mine or at least know what it was.
              Last edited by tonyx; 20 Dec 06, 18:26.

Comment

• Well, are you sure you are not mixing up films? Going by your description of the horned troops are you not talking about Eisenstein's great film Alexander Nevsky ? The "horned troops" would have been the Teutonic Knights and were supposed to represent "Germans" when it was made in the late 30s (the film was pulled after the Germano-Soviet pact until the invasion in June 41) except I don't recall boys in a village like you describe. Given you were 5 maybe as I said you are mixing up some fims? Did you recall combat on frozen ice? Were there modern weapons or only good old fashioned swords and pikes and stuff?

Comment

• I know eisenstein's movie, those were teutonic knights. the enemy in my movie had modern uniforms (like those in world war II) and I'm not even sure they were german. they simply had that "imperial" feel to them. just like the Empire in star wars - you know the imperial forces were not german, but WW II german army was the inspiration.

also in my movie there was summer - no winter and no ice anywhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by tonyx View Post
                    I know eisenstein's movie, those were teutonic knights. the enemy in my movie had modern uniforms (like those in world war II) and I'm not even sure they were german. they simply had that "imperial" feel to them. just like the Empire in star wars - you know the imperial forces were not german, but WW II german army was the inspiration.

also in my movie there was summer - no winter and no ice anywhere.
                    I don't remember the movie how you describe it.

Try to ask your parents.

"Horned helmets" - it was the image of evil foreign invaders.

The Russian ancient warriors had no two horns in their helmets.

At least some of Teutonics knights (they were evil invaders) had horns on their helmets or the structures that looked like horns.

Also German soldiers in the end of WWI hhad the same helmets as in WWII.

And the German helmets had a few small fastening that looked like bolts. They were designed to fit tree branches and other comuflage elements. Those "bolts" looked like small horns.

I remember a movie made in the 40th where a British football (soccer) team came to play football against a Soviet team. The British football players had two-horned helmets in their heads and were dressed approximately like vikings. Of course, the Soviet players looked like good guys. The Britishes played very brutally but the Soviets won.
                    Last edited by Andrey; 21 Dec 06, 05:27.

Comment

• the old "soviet" movies are o.k.,
                      but i certainly wouldn't recommend modern russian ww2 movies.
                      i watched 'pq-17convoy' series, and it was pile of crap, rubbish full of stereotypes - boring so that i could barely stifle the yawn.

Comment

• Frantz and Polina

I know, Comrade Stalin is not gonna like this new WW2 movie:
                        http://www.alldvd.ca/Product/DvdDeta...roductID=44486
                        But I certainly will, because it comes with optional german audio,
                        and it looks like one that comes close to
                        COME AND SEE (IDI I SMOTRI), storywise.
                        No english subtitles, which of course is a downer.

Comment

• Frantz and Polina

This movie also deals with german warcrimes in Bjelorussia, just as described in the Hot Topic of the other sticky forum thread.

Comment

• I have watched till part 7 (Kursk) of The Unknown War. That film was show in Vietnam TV in early 1980's have Vietnamese name "Cuoc Chien tranh Than thanh" (The Saint War).

In the part about Kursk battle, there are some fragments from "The Liberation" with T34-85.

Comment

• Originally posted by DANNGOC View Post
                              I have watched till part 7 (Kursk) of The Unknown War. That film was show in Vietnam TV in early 1980's have Vietnamese name "Cuoc Chien tranh Than thanh" (The Saint War).

In the part about Kursk battle, there are some fragments from "The Liberation" with T34-85.
                              I think the scene from the movie of "Liberation" was so great that the authors of "the Unknown War" used it in their documentary. Even the T-34-85 that are in the scene but really began to be used in the frontline only a year later after the Kursk Battle cann't to decrease the effect of that scene...

Comment

• Manchuria, The Forgotten Victory

I just watched this incredible well done documentary about the russian invasian into Manchuria on a DVD i purchased from an ebay seller in the UK.
                                It portraits the Leaders, the Strategy, and the Weapons of both sides,
                                soviet and japanese in great detail. It's a BBC Cromwell production from the Battlefield series from 2006. This was a battle of shock and awe, within a few weeks the 1 000 000 men japanese Kwantung Army was beaten , by an highly experienced soviet Army of 1 500 000 men. The soviet army conquered a territory in the size of western europe.
                                This documentay would go well with 4 movies that come to my mind:
                                1.) THE HUMAN CONDITION (1961 japanese miniseries by Takeshi Abe)
                                2.) PURPLE SUNSET (1999 chinese production)
                                Three unlikely characters: A chinese peasant freed by advancing russian troops from japanese captivity, a russian female lieutenant seperated from
                                Her unit in a accidential clash with japanese troops and a young japanese girl
                                from a rich family being discovered by the characters above before committing suicide. Now they have to amend to each other in order to survive.
                                A powerful human interest story.
                                3.) Heldenkampf der Panzerjaeger (Heroes battle of the tank hunters)
                                a japanese production released in a german dubbed version.
                                It's about the Chalkim Gol incident. I watched it in a german cinema in 1975 and now ordered it from amazon.de on DVD
                                4.) ORDER NOT TO SHOOT #1+2 (discussed those 2 movies here a few weeks
                                ago.
                                5.) ESCHOLON ( a great movie about russian sioldiers in 1945, being rushed from the end of the war in germany , to the far eastern front.
                                I have this movie miniseries on DVD, but just in russian without english subtitles. Anyone knows where i could get it with english or german subtitles ?

Oh, I have to throw in another great website for russian movies with english subtitles:
                                www.yesasia.com
                                Ordered a load of chinese and japanese war movies there too, like
                                THE LONG MARCH, YAMATO, and so on.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X