This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Konzev View Post
    This is my absolute favorite movie, a movie that goes to my core.
    Every young german in the 60's and 70's with a consience would love to have identyfied with this character: A young german born russian soldier returning with the red army to help liberate germany from fascism.
    Because this movie is made after the true account of Konrad Wolf, it does not lack authenticity. I got hold of a DVD in german with english subtitles,
    I'm renting it out to the canadian publlic. Each time I ask them for a personal
    opinion. I get incredible feedback on this movie. Most canadians did have no idea about this part of german history and confess utter surprise.
    Unfortunately very few canadians have the education to digest this very complex movie, since they are raised on a hollywood diat. I alway try to take my time with the customer who confessed a sincere interest in this topic, that is my passion and my calling. To 95% I accomplish, to introduce them to watch my russian WW2 collection. I created an appetite and a niche for my very special videostore in northamerica.
    I feel very humbled abot DANNGOK's posts about this movie, since he his locally so far away from the episodic history. A vietnamese gentleman I would love to call my friend.
    I confess a had a good meal at my local chinese restaurant tonight, accompanied with some great sake wine. I frequent this Jade Garden restaurant for over a year now, I have nothing but praise for their good food and service.
    The owners of this restaurant share my love of russian movies, since they
    dicovered my store and supplied me with a gift coupon for a free meal.
    I had a good treat for them a couple of weeks ago:
    "And dawn it's quiet up here", a 2006 remake of the 1972 classic, done by a young chinese film maker.
    Now the version I have, is in russian and chinese only, is there a version with
    english or german subtitles available in russia ?
    If not, could you inform me when it comes out ?
    I own the orignal ruscico version, and I love it. The chinese version is twice that long, I really would love to have a version I can understand.
    Thanxx
    Ernst Wiltmann
    Thanks Mr. Konzev,
    You are not alone !

Comment

• Mr. Konzev, would you type the list of your best Soviet/Russian movies you have got?

It will be interesting to compare my and your lists

Comment

• To DANNGOC. Would you write your list of the best Soviet/Russian military movies?

It loos like you know Soviet/Russian movies very well.
        Last edited by Andrey; 06 Dec 06, 00:59.

Comment

• Mr. Konzev, have you seen "Voina" ("War") by Balabanov? It is about Chechen war and it has English subtitles.

Comment

• Hey, guys I, have a very good news for you. I have found a company which is selling very good movies, TRANSLATED IN ENGLISH. In some cases it is translated on other languages.

www.ruscico.com

The price is high for Russia but they are translated in English.

To the point, it has "They fought for the Motherland" (#1 in my list) translated in English!!!
            http://www.ruscico.com/detail.php?lang=en&film=322

Last edited by amvas; 06 Dec 06, 09:03.

Comment

• Andrey, thx for excellent link

I found some good military moovies there..
              "Idi i smotri"

"Officers"

"Ballada o soldate"

"Torpedo carriers"

"Zvezda"
              If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrey View Post
                To DANNGOC. Would you write your list of the best Soviet/Russian military movies?
                Ehem ...

I prefer to human and humanity factor in Russian/Soviet movie than the war itself And to answer your question, I need to classify by the time. Soviet movies need some specific knowledge to understand

1. Soviet-time made military movie:

1.1. About The Great Patriotic War:

- А зори здесь тихие... : 5 stars. Good novel of Baris Vasiliev and the director transfer it well into cinema. The novel was published in Vietnamese in Vietnam.
                - Аты-баты, шли солдаты...: 4 stars. You need to be a 70s-Soviet man to understand it.
                - Баллада о солдате: 5 stars. Not only about the war, but mainly about Soviet human. It was prohibited to public in war time in Vietnam (Northern Vietnam, of course )
                - В бой идут одни старики: 4,5 to 5 stars. You need to be a russian to understand what the director want to transfer. I like the music and the main charactor.
                - В шесть часов вечера после войны: made in 1944, when the war still went on.
                - Горячий снег: 4 stars. Andrey like it but in my opinion the film is not good as the original novel of Iurii Bondarev. Its like all the Soviet films that base on famous novel script (in my opinion, except "А зори здесь тихие... "). The novel was published in Vietnamese in Vietnam.
                - Два бойца (Two soldiers): 4,5 stars. Made in 1942! T60 to play panzer ! But its a good film. The song "Dark night", singer Mark Bernes, is a very good song. The song is famous in Vietnam too and usually play by Vietnam Army Choir.
                - Добровольцы : 4,5 stars. Not only about GPW. There is in a scene one of the main characters - a sailor of submarine: the submarine was hit and sunk. There is only way to escape: to launch through the torpedo pipe. The young sailor help his friend to escape but he have to stay in the sunk ship - there is no one left to launch him. He sat down and wrote the last letter to the girl that he love... I think we need to know Russian soul to understand that scene.
                - Жаворонок: 4 stars. Mr. tankman Andrey have already reviewed about it. It was showed in North Vietnam in war time.
                - Женя, Женечка и катюша : 4 stars. A tragedy in a comedy.
                - Живые и мёртвые (The Live and the dead): 3,5 stars. Not good as the original novel of Konstantin Simonov. The novel was published in Vietnamese in Vietnam.
                - Звезда (1949) : the first version of Zvezda 2002. Base on novel of G Kazakavich. The novel was published in Vietnamese in Vietnam.
                - Иди и смотри (Come and see) : 5 stars. Audience was obsessed after seeing the film.
                - Они сражались за Родину : 4,5 stars. Not good as the original novel of Mikhail Sholokhov. The novel was published in Vietnamese in Vietnam.
                - Отец солдата : 4 stars. It shoot when Gruzia was in USSR and showed how Gruzin live pacific in USSR. With the fall of USSR, everything changed. The song "Varyag" play in the film is very good.
                - Офицеры: Mr. Andrey have already reviewed about it.
                - Подводная лодка Т-9: was shoot in war time (1943). About Red Army submarine naval in GPW.
                - Торпедоносцы: 4,5 stars. I was touched by the scene that the torpedo-aircraft pilot flew over the remain of a ferry carrying his girl.
                - Щит и меч : 4 stars. About a Soviet spy in SD force of Mr. Walter Shelenberg. Base on novel of Vadiim Kozevnikov. The novel was published in Vietnamese in Vietnam.
                - Летят журавли: 5 stars. It was prohibited to public in war time in Vietnam, because it was a Khrusov time film.
                - Освобождение: 5 stars. I saw it first time on TV in 1979 or 1980. Very impressive.

1.2. About other wars:

- Александр Невский : 4 to 4,5 stars. Good film of Sergei Eiseinstein.
                - Афганский излом : 5 stars. The Italian actor Michel Placido played well. Terrible war. Looks like crazy US marines in Vietnam war, or Vietnamese soldiers in Kampuchia 1985. But its not in Hollywood style movie such as "The 9 company".
                - Белое солнце пустыни: 5 stars. About Civil russian war time. Classic movie of Soviet time. Cosmonauts usually watch it before fly to the orbit in Zvezda city.
                - Комиссар : Russian Civil War. Base on Novel of Vasily Grossman.
                - Maxim Perepelitsa : 4 stars. Not about war time, but after the war. You can see AK-47 with T34-85 together! The song "V put" is very good. They sometimes sing that song on Vietnam Army Choir in Vietnamese, but not good as your Russian singer!

2. Russian military movie:

- 9 Company: 3,5 stars. Maybe a product of Mr. Putin.
                - Война : 4,5 stars. About Chesnhia war. I wonder is it show the view of most of Russian about Chesnhia war?
                - Второй фронт /Second Front/: 3,5 stars.
                - Грозовые ворота : 3 stars. About Chesnhia war.
                - Svoi: 4,5 stars. August 1941 in Ukraina. Maybe a view in new angle about GPW. Andrey, where did you Ruski find a real early version of Pz-IV to bring on the film?
                - Красное небо. Черный снег: 4 stars. About German prisoners in USSR.
                - Кукушка: 4,5 stars. Good film.
                - Первый после бога: 3,5 - 4 stars. About Soviet submarine in GPW.
                - Перегон : 5 stars. Mr. Ragozhin made good movies!
                - Сволочи: 3 stars.
                - Чистилище: 4,5 stars. About Chesnhia War. There is a terrific scene about battle in Groznyi 1994, when Russian tankman have to ride onto their dead comrades corpses to prevent Chesnhian rebels humiliate them.

P/s: to Andrey: I sorry but you please don't use "Northern Vietnamese" phrase. There is only one Vietnam people and Vietnam nation.
                Last edited by DANNGOC; 06 Dec 06, 19:32.

Comment

• Yesterday I visited the most popular Omsk DVD-shop.

It contains a lot of Soviet/Russian movies.

I found English subtitles in those famous good movies (the price is in roubles. 1 US$ = 26.5 roubles):

Перегон ("Transferring") - 300
                  9 рота ("The 9th Company") - 350
                  72 метра ("72 meters") - 250
                  Ночной дозор ("Night watch") - 250
                  Место встречи изменить нельзя ("It is impossible to change the meeting's place") - 450 (It is a famous mini-TV series about the struggle of a group of Soviet police against a ganster band in Moscow right after the war)

The following movies have English sound

Сибирский цирюльник ("Siberian barber") - 460 (It is a very good love story between a Russian cadet and an American girl in the beginning of the XX Century)
                  Баллада о солдате ("Ballade about soldier") - 250
                  Летят журавли ("The cranes are flying") - 250

Comment

• [QUOTE=DANNGOC;600854]

2. Russian military movie:

- 9 Company: 3,5 stars. Maybe a product of Mr. Putin.
                    It's a product of Fedor Bondarchuk, a son of famous Sergei Bondarchuk.

Fedor Bondarchuk is the guy who have finished the foreign version of "Quiet Don" after his father who had began to do it died a few years ago.

A lot of Soviet Afghanistan war vets spoke that the movie is very exact.

- Война : 4,5 stars. About Chesnhia war. I wonder is it show the view of most of Russian about Chesnhia war?
                    No, it doesn't show the views of most Russians about Chechen war.

- Грозовые ворота : 3 stars. About Chesnhia war.
                    Good movie but contains too much propaganda (soldiers are equipped by brand new uniform and so on).

- Svoi: 4,5 stars. August 1941 in Ukraina. Maybe a view in new angle about GPW. Andrey, where did you Ruski find a real early version of Pz-IV to bring on the film?
                    I don't know where they found the tank. I supposed it was Pz35t or Pz38t?

- Красное небо. Черный снег: 4 stars. About German prisoners in USSR.
                    Absolutely unknown in Russia.

- Кукушка: 4,5 stars. Good film.
                    Good comedy.

- Первый после бога: 3,5 - 4 stars. About Soviet submarine in GPW.
                    The Russian public supposes it is too boring.

To the point, the two guys who played Soviet officers-submariners became famous when they played bandits a few years ago in the movie of "Bumer" . They played bandits a few years ago, now they play Soviet submariners of WWII, Heroes of Soviet Union.

P/s: to Andrey: I sorry but you please don't use "Northern Vietnamese" phrase. There is only one Vietnam people and Vietnam nation.
                    I meant "people from the state of Northern Vietnam". I translated to English how it was called in Russian.

To the point, we are Russkie and not Ruski.

Comment

• Winter has arrived in northern Ontario

Weather conditions had disabled my satelite dish (direcwave fastspeed),
                      so I was unable to answer in the last few days. Thedish was covered in a thick coat of ice, due to freezing rain. I had to send my yound Nephew
                      Konrad for $10,- on the roof to get the ice off. I'm afraid of heights, and with 53 years of age not that agile any more .
                      Now to the requested list of my favorite russian war movies:
                      I pretty much scooped up every russian war flic with english or german subtitles/audio.
                      My favorite one is DIE BEFREIUNG (eng.:Liberation, rus.:Osvobodshenije)
                      I own this one since last year, it is a 5 disc deluxe edition, with a comprehensive booklet, and a lot of extra's on the 5th disc.
                      I got it from amazon.de, and it is all in german language only.
                      Disc 1.: Napralevnije glavnogo udara
                      Disc 2: Der Feuerbogen
                      Disc 3: Battle for Berlin
                      Disc 4: Reichstag
                      Disc 5: Extras

2.) Pancerni i pies (For tankcrew and a dog)
                      Got it from polart.com about 3 years ago, with english subtitles.
                      3.) Afganskij Islom (Hoelle ohne Ausweg)
                      I got this one from amazon.de, in german language only.
                      4.) 9ya rota (The ninth company)
                      Another great movie about the war in Afghanistan.
                      I have this one with english subtitles, got it from ebay.
                      5.) First after God (pervy posle boga)
                      I got this one with english and german subtitles, from
                      russian-dvd.de
                      A great russian submarine story.
                      6.) Bastards (Svolochi)
                      I know you guys have reservations about this movie, but I enjoyed it.
                      7.) Zvesda (2002) THE STAR
                      Will always rank among my most favorite.
                      I got this one from ruscico.com, with english subtitles
                      8.) RISE !
                      I got this one from rbcmp3.com. about 3 years ago, on VHS, without
                      english subtitles. It is easy to follow the story:
                      Russian partisan's get ambushed by german SS Polizei, most of the
                      partisans escape but two of them get seperated from the main group
                      and try to survive in a merciless winter-wilderness. They seek shelter
                      with a widowed farmers family, but get caught by a routine patrol.
                      Brutally interogated by a russian ROA investigator, they get tortured
                      and sentenced to death.....
                      9.) Sstrafbat (Punishment Btl.)
                      I believe this is one of the best miniseries I have seen, got it from
                      ebay.com with english subtitles, from a chinese distributor.
                      The english subtitles are very poor, sometimes do not even make sense,
                      but better than nothing.
                      10.) Cursanty (Cadets)
                      There is almost no combat action in this miniseries, but very gripping
                      and moving drama. Ekaterina Gusewa (The Brigade) does a fantastic
                      acting job in this movie, that in my opinion deserves international praise.
                      Also the other actors where fantastic. The viewer is drawn to the young
                      soldiers that want to become officers, who often fall victim to starvation
                      and internal politics.
                      I got this one from russiandvd.com, with very good english subtitles.
                      I have a collection of over 600 russian movies now, and I could continue with my list, but time does restrict me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Konzev View Post
                        My favorite one is DIE BEFREIUNG (eng.:Liberation, rus.:Osvobodshenije)
                        I own this one since last year, it is a 5 disc deluxe edition, with a comprehensive booklet, and a lot of extra's on the 5th disc.
                        I got it from amazon.de, and it is all in german language only.
                        Disc 1.: Napralevnije glavnogo udara
                        Disc 2: Der Feuerbogen
                        Disc 3: Battle for Berlin
                        Disc 4: Reichstag
                        Disc 5: Extras
                        Hmmm.. Where is the part about the crossing through the Dnepr? It is called "Breakthrough".

Also Discs #1 and #2 should turn their places.

7.) Zvesda (2002) THE STAR
                        Will always rank among my most favorite.
                        I got this one from ruscico.com, with english subtitles
                        The young actor who played Lt. Travkin became a star in Russia after that movie.

8.) RISE !
                        I got this one from rbcmp3.com. about 3 years ago, on VHS, without
                        english subtitles. It is easy to follow the story:
                        Russian partisan's get ambushed by german SS Polizei, most of the
                        partisans escape but two of them get seperated from the main group
                        and try to survive in a merciless winter-wilderness. They seek shelter
                        with a widowed farmers family, but get caught by a routine patrol.
                        Brutally interogated by a russian ROA investigator, they get tortured
                        and sentenced to death.....
                        You described the movie incorrectly.

I have a collection of over 600 russian movies now, and I could continue with my list, but time does restrict me.
                        Do you have the following movies
                        The cranes are flying
                        Ballade about soldier
                        They foughtr for the Motherland

I can buy the first two right today.

Comment

• Some more RUSCICO movies

"A soldiers's father"
                          http://www.ruscico.com/detail.php?lang=en&film=83

"The cranes are flying"
                          http://www.ruscico.com/detail.php?lang=en&film=62

"17 moments of the spring" (legendary movie !!!!!!)
                          http://www.ruscico.com/detail.php?lang=en&film=398

"A zori zdes tokhie"
                          http://www.ruscico.com/detail.php?lang=en&film=3

"Come and see"
                          http://www.ruscico.com/detail.php?lang=en&film=50
                          Last edited by Andrey; 08 Dec 06, 18:57.

Comment

• Hey Andrey

I allready got:

1.) Ballad of a Soldier
                            One of the most emotional moving movies ever made, I bought it
                            4 years ago.
                            10/10
                            2.) Father of a Soldier
                            Also one of my all favorites
                            10/10 can simply not be made any better.
                            3.) The cranes are flying
                            Essentially viewing for all friends of russian cinema
                            10/10 rating
                            Love the farewell and comming scenes a lot
                            4.) 17 Moments of Spring
                            Very suspensefull miniseries, bought it a year ago from alldvd.ca.
                            10/10 rating, watched it all in 2 sittings.
                            5.) And Dawns are quite up here
                            I own both versions, the 1972 and the 2006 remake.
                            9/10 rating
                            When I reviewed Osvobodshenije, I was too far away from the set, so I quted that set from my poor memory, and got it all mixed up. Please accept my apologies.
                            Ernst

Comment

• Mr. Konzev, what is your impression from the following movies:

They fought for the Motherland (with English sound)

(OT) Night watch+Day watch?

Comment

• Hi Andrey

[They fought for their Motherland]
                                For being produced during the soviet aera, it is an excellent movie,
                                because Sergeij Bondartchuck kept to an absolute minimum with soviet propaganda. I suppose he got away with it, because of his aristic capabilities.
                                The way he paints a battlefield is genius, If the viewer has seen some of his other masterpeaces like WAR AND PEACE and WATERLOO, he probably could confirm my view. Not only sticking to the details of action, you also witness
                                the state of mind, of some individual soldiers, their thirst for water, hunger for food (which often was very scarce), their pain of older war wound and their fear, when confronted with the enemy. Take a look at the equipment,
                                their is to 95% authentic uniforms and weaponry displayed, even a Tiger Tank
                                and some Panzer Mark III + IV.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X