This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Konzev View Post
    I run an international art house video store in Parry Sound Ontario Canada, importing a lot of foreign movies, dealing with historical themes. My favorites are east european WW2 movies.
    I believe russian movies should be marketed with a higher profile in Canada,
    there is a market here.
    Veterans liked the movie Convoy PQ-17, because it dealt with canadian sailors. The same applied to Peregon, who had north american women flying
    warplanes from alaska to siberia.
    Despite the fact that those movies where just in russian, people rented them.
    I have RUSSIAN DVD version of "Peregon" and it has English subtitles...

Here are some of my favorires:
    1. Polumgla
    (Fate of some german POW's)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0482567/
    Polumgla is a very good, kind movie.

If a Westerner wants to see how the Soviets treated to German POWs he should look it.

You will see how Soviet militaries and ordinary Soviet citizens treated to the Germans.

Polumgla is the name of a very small village. A group of German POWs under the guard of a few Soviet soldiers arrived there to build a small wooden to tower to organize a responder beacon for Lend-Lease fighter planes that were transferred to the USSR through Aliaska.

Unfortunately, the moviemakers distorted the end of the initial novel on which the movie is based. The writers who wrote the novel even wanted to judge the moviemakers. (in the end of the movie all the POWs were shot according an order of a high scale NKVD officer because "we have no food to feed them". I never heard about such cases. The novel has another end.)

But commonly it is a very humane movie.

Abenteuer des Werner Holt, Die
    (East german war flick , after the famous book.)
    2. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057816/
    I saw it, as I remember it was a DDR movie. It was an excellent movie.

Comment

• Ich war 19
      http://www.filmzentrale.com/rezis/ichwarneunzehnub.htm
      http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0061802/

Director Wolf has a small masterpiece in this film, which is about the exploration of a young German-born Russian soldier's attempt to find his roots during the final days of World War II as the Russian Army advances on Berlin. This is also an unsweetened account of the chaos of war. Many suspenseful moments and never boring. Gregor, the nineteen-year-old of the title reveals himself throughout as the confused, self-conscious, prideful and sometimes ruthless young man that he is, not unlike any young man of 19 caught up in wartime situations. Highly recommended. Another look but an unusual one at the war that marked the 20th Century.

Comment

• Hi Andrey + DANNGOC

The internet is a fantastic intervenvention, it is so wonderful that I can chat
        with people from siberia and vietnam.
        In a few years, I'm planning to retire, and it is in my plans to visit russia and the far east. And I'm a passionate movie collector, when it comes to foreign movies dealing with history.

Andrey
        Is there any way, for me to get "PEREGON" with english subtitles ? If I can't buy it anywhwere, I checked ebay, ruscico, alldvd.ca, oversystem.com
        petershop.com.de, dvdcenterclub.com, and a few other places dealing with russian movies, what can we do ? They all sell it without english subtitles.

I love the forum with the russian mp3 files, I'm downloading from the links
        you posted there with full speed ahead. I love russian music, I listen to it every day at home. The "Sacred War" is one of my favorites too.

Here are some of my favorite russian movies, which I would love to buy with
        english subtitles (I bought all of them without english subtitles)
        1.) Posledny boj major Pugatchevo (2005)
        2.) Chelovek Voinij (Men of War) (2005)
        3.) The last Armored Train (2006)
        4.) The secret weapon (2006) Part 1 + 2
        5.) Convoy PQ-17 (2004)
        6.) Order not to shoot #1+2 (1982) Russia' s conflict with Japan 1945.
        I loved the battle scenes when the soviet army hit the japanese
        fortifications in Manchuria after crossing a long strech of desert.
        Some of the most intense and crueling battlescenes i have seen.
        7.) Svoi (2004)
        8.) The nine lives of Nestor Machnov
        A great movie about the russian civil war, where a russian anarchist
        plays the main character. Very good battle scenes depicting the Maxine
        MG mounted on horsecarts fighting off cavalery charges.
        9.) Gibel Imperij (2004) Now this is my ultimate favorite !
        Incredible WW1 battlescenes with a Rairoad Gun, a Submarine in the
        Baltics, a german fighterplane strafing a russian column with a simple
        cluster of iron-arrows. Beautyful fotography and acting.
        Chulpan Khomtoseva rules. She must be one of russia's top stars now.
        I love most of her movies, She's so expressiv and hauntingly beautyful.
        Specially in the movie The Swordbearer (Mechenosets) have that
        one with english subtitles.

I have have a lot more I like to report on, but my time is limited today,
        still some work to do.
        and
        I have a tidbid recomandation for you, you probably haven't heart off:
        "HASENJAGD" (Rabbithunt) by Andreas Gruber, starring Merab Ninidze

It's an austrian movie made in 1994, about a russian POW breakout of
        the concentration camp Mauthausen. Over 500 russian officers managed to
        break out, to be ruthlessly hunted down by an SS Police unit and the local
        Volks-sturm unit. Some Volksturm men only participating reluctantly.
        The SS order is to terminate the prisoners on the spot. The Volksturm does not always obey that order, and let some of the prisoners escape again.
        Only 9 russian POW survive the brutality by hiding with sympathetic german families.

Hi DANNGOC
        It's interesting to get a review of an obscure german movie from an eastasian
        perspective. Very impressive, I'm flattered. I believe we will have a lot to exchange on this forum.
        Are there any Vietnames movies about history? I'm very interested.
        I bought the chinese movie TAI HAN MOUNTAIN and was clearly impressed.
        I believe Vietnam must have made some great movies too. Please fill me in.
        I also liked the Thai movies Bang Rajan and the LEGEND OF SORYOTAI.

Comment

• Front za liniey fronta (1977)

Hi Andrey

I have seen this movie in 70's in east germany, in Bernau at a international students meeting. It was shown at full lenght, I believe it was over 5 hours
          long, and all dubbed in german language. It left a lasting impression on me.
          I vivdly remember a scene, where a russian sailor soldier was staying overnight at a peasant farm. He woke up in the morning when the germans arrived, to round up the unarmed inhabitants. He decided to interfere with his submachine gun, when the german started a killing spree under the civilians.
          Also a scene where a platoon of sailor soldiers where trying to buy time for the major body of the partisan brigade, by holding a trenchline in the forrest
          against a german SS unit. Almost fighting to the last men.
          Another scene was where the partisans blew up a transport with Mark V Panther tanks.
          I purchased this movie again from rbcmp3.com 3 years ago on VHS, but in russian, without english subtitles. I wish I could get the german language version again. There are so many memories conected with it ....

Comment

• To Pgmatg from the US

The title of the movie you are looking for is called:
            "Order not to shoot #2" (Prikatz ....)
            That is about a japanese defenseline in the mountains somewhere in Manchuria, in august 1945. The soviet army is meeting some unexpected and fiearce resistance after they crossed a long stretch of desert.

Comment

The title of the movie you are looking for is called:
              "Order not to shoot #2" (Prikatz ....)
              That is about a japanese defenseline in the mountains somewhere in Manchuria, in august 1945. The soviet army is meeting some unexpected and fiearce resistance after they crossed a long stretch of desert.
              "Prikaz - pereiti granitsu" ("The order is to cross the border"). It is the continuation of "Prikaz - ogon ne otkryvat" ("The order is to not open fire")

Comment

Hi Andrey

I have seen this movie in 70's in east germany, in Bernau at a international students meeting. It was shown at full lenght, I believe it was over 5 hours
                long, and all dubbed in german language. It left a lasting impression on me.
                I vivdly remember a scene, where a russian sailor soldier was staying overnight at a peasant farm. He woke up in the morning when the germans arrived, to round up the unarmed inhabitants. He decided to interfere with his submachine gun, when the german started a killing spree under the civilians.
                Also a scene where a platoon of sailor soldiers where trying to buy time for the major body of the partisan brigade, by holding a trenchline in the forrest
                against a german SS unit. Almost fighting to the last men.
                Another scene was where the partisans blew up a transport with Mark V Panther tanks.
                I purchased this movie again from rbcmp3.com 3 years ago on VHS, but in russian, without english subtitles. I wish I could get the german language version again. There are so many memories conected with it ....

It is #1 in my message #173

Comment

In a few years, I'm planning to retire, and it is in my plans to visit russia and the far east. And I'm a passionate movie collector, when it comes to foreign movies dealing with history.
                  Yes.

Andrey
                  Is there any way, for me to get "PEREGON" with english subtitles ? If I can't buy it anywhwere, I checked ebay, ruscico, alldvd.ca, oversystem.com
                  petershop.com.de, dvdcenterclub.com, and a few other places dealing with russian movies, what can we do ? They all sell it without english subtitles.
                  I took that movie (with English subtitles) in an ordinary video distribution company in Omsk.

How to get it?

1. I can get a DVD-R copy and to send to you.

2. I can buy it for you in a shop and to send you.

I love the forum with the russian mp3 files, I'm downloading from the links
                  you posted there with full speed ahead. I love russian music, I listen to it every day at home. The "Sacred War" is one of my favorites too.
                  I am glad to hear it.

Also it is only about military songs here mainly. Russia/USSR had a lot of excellent peaceful songs.

Here are some of my favorite russian movies, which I would love to buy with
                  english subtitles (I bought all of them without english subtitles)
                  1.) Posledny boj major Pugatchevo (2005)
                  Mmm... It is not too good movie. Too much attetion to Stalin's camps. Indeed, it is not a military movie, it is a movie about Stalin's camps.

2.) Chelovek Voinij (Men of War) (2005)
                  I disliked that movie also. Too much nonsence and too little logic.

3.) The last Armored Train (2006)
                  This movie is a full nonsence.

4.) The secret weapon (2006) Part 1 + 2
                  Average quality movie.

5.) Convoy PQ-17 (2004)
                  It is possible to see it but it is too Soviet-biased, it is unfair to the Allied seamen who took part in Northern Convoys..

6.) Order not to shoot #1+2 (1982) Russia' s conflict with Japan 1945.
                  I loved the battle scenes when the soviet army hit the japanese
                  fortifications in Manchuria after crossing a long strech of desert.
                  Some of the most intense and crueling battlescenes i have seen.
                  It is a really good movie and it covers the events in Soviet Far-Eastern border from 1941 to 1945 including Soviet Offensive in Manchuria in 1945.

7.) Svoi (2004)
                  It is a good movie. A few POWs run away from POW column and came to a a local village elder (one of the POWs was his son). In the same time pro-German polizais arrested the elder's daughter and said they would shot her if the POWs would not be caught. Large problem for the elder what to do.

8.) The nine lives of Nestor Machnov
                  A great movie about the russian civil war, where a russian anarchist
                  plays the main character. Very good battle scenes depicting the Maxine
                  MG mounted on horsecarts fighting off cavalery charges.
                  Never heard about this movie. To the point, a horsecart with mounted Maxim MG is called "tachanka".

9.) Gibel Imperij (2004) Now this is my ultimate favorite !
                  Incredible WW1 battlescenes with a Rairoad Gun, a Submarine in the
                  Baltics, a german fighterplane strafing a russian column with a simple
                  cluster of iron-arrows. Beautyful fotography and acting.
                  It is one of the best movies. It is about the events of WWI and the begining of the Revolution.

It is a story of a few friends who served in Russian Counter-Espionage service.

The movie shows their operations on the backgraund of huge scale events.

Very-very good movie (indeed it is a mini-TV series).

Chulpan Khomtoseva rules. She must be one of russia's top stars now.
                  I love most of her movies, She's so expressiv and hauntingly beautyful.
                  Specially in the movie The Swordbearer (Mechenosets) have that
                  one with english subtitles.
                  Yes, she is a top Russian star now.

I have have a lot more I like to report on, but my time is limited today,
                  still some work to do.
                  and
                  I have a tidbid recomandation for you, you probably haven't heart off:
                  "HASENJAGD" (Rabbithunt) by Andreas Gruber, starring Merab Ninidze

It's an austrian movie made in 1994, about a russian POW breakout of
                  the concentration camp Mauthausen. Over 500 russian officers managed to
                  break out, to be ruthlessly hunted down by an SS Police unit and the local
                  Volks-sturm unit. Some Volksturm men only participating reluctantly.
                  The SS order is to terminate the prisoners on the spot. The Volksturm does not always obey that order, and let some of the prisoners escape again.
                  Only 9 russian POW survive the brutality by hiding with sympathetic german families.
                  Never heard about this movie... Thanks.

Comment

• Peregon

Andrey
                    Thank you very much for your detailed reply, and even more so, since You will help me getting PEREGON with english subtitles.
                    I will discuss some of the above adressed movies with you tomorrow.
                    For the purpose of buying Peregon,
                    I propose that I'll send you cash in a secured envelope, after you email me the amount required for the transaction. After the arrival you ship the
                    authorized (original) version to Canada.
                    I prefer the original , english subtitled version, because I would like to rent
                    this movie out to my canadian customers. I could not do thatwith the DVD-R
                    copy. How does the cover art box look like, is it like the international version ?
                    If this works out well, I will have some more requests, if you allow of course.
                    Sincerely
                    Ernst Wiltmann

Comment

Andrey
                      I think you will not miss Moscow on the way to Siberia?

Licensed "Peregon" is available here
                      http://www.ozon.ru/context/detail/id...?partner=AMVAS

It has English subtitles.
                      Self-cost ~$11 (without shipping cost)
                      If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

• Does anybody know the Russian (Soviet?...unsure of the date) film; 'Come and See?' I have seen it twice on our foreign language TV station. Don't know the year or the director.
                        Young boy joins the partisans. Brilliant film! BTW 'One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovich'. Masterpiece of writing and a great film starring John Hurt.
                        The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
                        Sideshow Bob.

Comment

• Originally posted by Geek44 View Post
                          Does anybody know the Russian (Soviet?...unsure of the date) film; 'Come and See?' I have seen it twice on our foreign language TV station. Don't know the year or the director.
                          Young boy joins the partisans. Brilliant film!
                          the horrors of war unvarnished.
                          208 amongst IMDB Top 250 All-time
                          IMDB: Idi i smotri

Seventh in Top 10 Soviets War Movies on the first page of this thread
                          Last edited by Rambow; 03 Dec 06, 06:34.

Comment

• Pergon with english subtitles

Hi Alex
                            Thank you for your excellent post.
                            I heart Moscow is rated the most expansive city on the planet, that is somewhat discouraging for me. I've been in Moscow before, in 1973, and I
                            loved it: Very beautyful City, and it had very reasonable rates than,
                            but the service was terrible. Now the service is good and the rates are terrible. I guess you can't win.
                            One of my friends, who's a skating sky racer came back from a competition in
                            Moscow, provided me with the latest information.
                            ozon.com
                            I tried to order from this site, but my extremely poor russian language skills
                            got me stuck, and I'm not sure they will ship to Canada. Did you order from Ozon before ?
                            I have ordered from russian based dealers before, but they had an english
                            mirrorsite. Ozon probably does not.
                            So I have to ask Andrey again to help me out.
                            Pajausta
                            Ernst

Comment

• Come and See (idi i smotri)

Hi australian Geek

The movie was made in 1982, and the Director was Elem Klimov (2005 +).

Ernst

Comment

Andrey
                                Thank you very much for your detailed reply, and even more so, since You will help me getting PEREGON with english subtitles.
                                I will discuss some of the above adressed movies with you tomorrow.
                                For the purpose of buying Peregon,
                                I propose that I'll send you cash in a secured envelope, after you email me the amount required for the transaction. After the arrival you ship the
                                authorized (original) version to Canada.
                                I prefer the original , english subtitled version, because I would like to rent
                                this movie out to my canadian customers. I could not do thatwith the DVD-R
                                copy. How does the cover art box look like, is it like the international version ?
                                If this works out well, I will have some more requests, if you allow of course.
                                Sincerely
                                Ernst Wiltmann
                                Is Amvas' proposal good for you?

To the point, the DVD that are selling in Russian DVD shops has Russian DVD zone marks. Are you sure they will work OK in DVD-players Canada? I know exactly that it is not problem if to see them on a computer. But if you give them to ordinary people some of then can have problems (maybe).

I sent a couple DVD's to the West and the people who got them had no problems.

In any case I can visit the DVD shop and look which Russian military movies have English subtitles.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X