This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kaki
    Any movies from the finnish front? The Unknown Soldier(1955) was banned in Russia until couple of years ago.
    Oh I have 2 films of Finland about finnish front:
    - Winter War : not a good movie, a lot of mistakes and bias.
    - Ambush : I recommend you to bye that one.

I don't think "Cuckoo" is a comedy movie. It have its own anti-war meaning and its ... Russian enough.

"72 meters": I was really touched while watching the scene of seperation Black Sea Fleet. When "Prashanyie Slavanki" played... I think the last scene, when the Ukrainian be rescued, its full of meaning.

To Andrei: "Peregon" is a good Russian movie about GPW. It help me to imagine the atmosphere of the time.
    Last edited by DANNGOC; 30 Aug 06, 01:27.

Comment

• Originally posted by Emil_G/
      I just watched Cross of Iron today for the first time. Impressive, I didn't think it would be as violent as it was!
      Cross of Iron = idiotism from Russian perspective. It is funny how they showed Russians. Look on Russian uniform!

Comment

• Originally posted by DANNGOC
        Oh I have 2 films of Finland about finnish front:
        - Winter War : not a good movie, a lot of mistakes and bias.
        - Ambush : I recommend you to bye that one.
        - Ambush - I disliked it. I really didn't understansd the logic of many actions of the movie. I didn't understand why those guys did the things that they did. Especially I was amazed how they had entered bridges. They sent a scout who entered bridges in unknown territory pulling his bicycle and going right along the center of a bridge!!!! If I entered a bridge in unknown territory, I left my bycycle in safe place and I crossed the river by swimming in another place and approached in secret to the bridge along the opposite side. How they entered bridges was a suicide for the scout and it really happened in the end when the enemy shot the scout standing on a bridge.

About Unknown soldier. I don't know about the movie but I have the book at my home library!!!

"72 meters": I was really touched while watching the scene of seperation Black Sea Fleet. When "Prashanyie Slavanki" played... I think the last scene, when the Ukrainian be rescued, its full of meaning.
        1. It was not the scene of the separation of the Black Sea Fleet. The submarine was to become an Ukrainian submarine and the crew was to swear to the Ukraine. The seamen had no choice. But unexpectedly the crew refused to swear to the Ukraine. It was not a planned action, it was an action of heart. The officers were to swear after one another. And one of the officers even swore to the Ukraine. But then the submarine commander (to the point, the submarine had the name of "Slavianka") suddenly ordered to go away and the crew followed to him. The captain ordered to the orchestra to play great Russian march "The Farewell of Slavianka" and they went away under the sounds of that march.

It is necessary to live in Russia to underastand the meaning of the scene. In that time Ukrainian nationalist captured the power in the Ukraine. They hated everything that was related to Russia. They forced the people to speak in Ukrainian.

For Russian seamen to swear to the Ukraine meant to betray their Motherland as they supposed that they were Russian military seamen at first. The USSR was considered the follower of pre-revolution Russian Empire and the Soviet sailors were educated on ancient Russian Navy traditions. Russian Navy heroes of the XVII-XX Centuries were considered heroes in the Soviet Navy. So the Soviet military seamen felt they were Russian seamen at first and they didn't want to serve to the post-Soviet Ukrainian state which was anti-Rissian biased in that time.

To the crew of that submarine to refuse to swear to the Ukraine meant to change their location from the warm Black Sea region (it was the most pleasant climate area in the USSR) to the cold Northern Sea region (Murmansk-Archangelsk). The most part of the modern Russian submarine fleet belongs to the Northern Fleet. It is in the Arctic. It was the same like to go in Alyaska from California. Even the Ukrainian oficial was screaming to the seamen while they were going away: "Think what you are doing! You have flats here, you have vegetable gardens!!"

2. You haven't understand the meaning of the last scene. That guy was a civilian. It was only a chance that he was a Ukrainian nationality guy. He was a Russian citizen at first. The idea was that it was a duty of militaries to protect civilians and as the guy was the only civilian on the sunk submarine so the survived seamen saved him at first. They gave him the most chances to survive...

To Andrei: "Peregon" is a good Russian movie about GPW. It help me to imagine the atmosphere of the time.
        I am glad to hear it...
        Last edited by Andrey; 30 Aug 06, 08:36.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrey
          Cross of Iron = idiotism from Russian perspective. It is funny how they showed Russians. Look on Russian uniform!
          Yeah I thought the uniforms looked funny. But I would say the biggest controversy in the movie is not portrayals of Russians but the whole idea of there being "good" Germans and "bad" Germans.

Comment

• "Peregon" is one of some good movies that Russian made about WW2. There is no battle scene in Peregon, but I can feel the fierce and deathly atmosphere of Eastern front in the silence but strong pressure that force the Captain Lisnevsky to send the lend-lease P-39s with his low time-flight pilots to the front. I was interesting and suprised when the evil NKVD Gustava actually is not evil. He really have the right to accuse some alive person for murder but he did not. And I think its the real atmosphere of that time. But there are some unintelligible details: why Captain Foma Yurchenko be exiled ? And why people in the airbase obey his orders?

PS: Andrei, I wonder where did Mr. Alexander Rogozhkin find so many P-39s ?
            Last edited by DANNGOC; 23 Sep 06, 19:35.

Comment

• Originally posted by DANNGOC
              I was interesting and suprised when the evil NKVD Gustava actually is not evil. He really have the right to accuse some alive person for murder but he did not.
              NKVD meant Internal Affairs Ministry. Ordinary policemen were NKVD-men also.

The man whom you are speaking about was a police investigator. His task was to find a murderer.

It is necessary to think about him as about an ordinary police investigator.

And I think its the real atmosphere of that time. But there are some unintelligible details: why Captain Foma Yurchenko be exiled ?And why people in the airbase obey his orders?
              Foma Yurchenko was not exiled.

Yurchenko was the Chief of the Airbase. Lesnevskiy was the Chief of the Airfield (the Chief of the Air Operations).

Yurchenko was the main man in the base.

Yurchenko was an officer who had been wounded (in his leg) and was not healthy enough to fight in a frontline after that. So he was appointed the Chief of an Airbase in rears as the healthy officers fought in the frontline.

He became an alcoholic (due a lot of reasons, mainly because he was a frontline officer but he had to serve in rears). When he was too drunk he became mad temporally but when he was not drunk he operated really good as the Chief of the Airbase. So when he was not drunk the Airbase personnel obey to him but when he was too drunk soldiers tied up him because he didn't control himself. He himself understood that he was mad when he was drunk so he didn't punish the soldiers who had tied up him.

To the point, the woman interpreteur was his wife.

Lesnevskiy had no right to order to tie up his chief (Yurchenko was his chief) but he was brave enough to assume the responsibility for the decision to tie up drunken Yurchenko.

The situation was very difficult to Lesnevskiy.

PS: Andrei, I wonder where did Mr. Alexander Rogozhkin find so many P-39s ?
              The planes that really flew were not P-39s.

Comment

• First of all, Andrey thank you very much for great list of Russian war movies. I've used it as reference to update listings on my site.
                The film that made big impression on me when I was a teenager is "And Dawns Are Quiet Here", because its a very personal depiction of the war, and because my grandfather later described similar events when he was behind enemy lines.
                Another movie about women solders that I liked - "O tekh, kogo pomnyu i lyublyu" (1973). The film shows life of a women sapper unit during World War 2.

Earlier discussion about war with Japan reminded me of a movie (seen it once, can't remember the name), that showed soviet army having trouble overtaking japanese reinforced & automated artillery bunkers in the mountains. Tried looking it up can't seem to find it. Andrey maybe you've seen it?

Comment

• Originally posted by pgmatg View Post
                  First of all, Andrey thank you very much for great list of Russian war movies. I've used it as reference to update listings on my site.
                  The film that made big impression on me when I was a teenager is "And Dawns Are Quiet Here", because its a very personal depiction of the war, and because my grandfather later described similar events when he was behind enemy lines.
                  "А зори здесь тихие"

It lokks like you are a Russian

Was your grandfather a Soviet paratrooper who fough against German girls-soldiers? - :-).

Another movie about women solders that I liked - "O tekh, kogo pomnyu i lyublyu" (1973). The film shows life of a women sapper unit during World War 2.
                  Never heard about that movie.

The USSR produced a few THOUSANDS movies about WWII.

I made the list of the best of the best.

arlier discussion about war with Japan reminded me of a movie (seen it once, can't remember the name), that showed soviet army having trouble overtaking japanese reinforced & automated artillery bunkers in the mountains. Tried looking it up can't seem to find it. Andrey maybe you've seen it?
                  It can be

"Приказ: перейти границу" ("Our order is to cross the border") (VERY probably according your description - I that I made a description of that movie earlier)

or

"Через Гоби и Хинган" ("Through the Ghobi and the Khingan")
                  Last edited by Andrey; 06 Oct 06, 21:50.

Comment

• I`ve seen a Russian movie or series on a channel called K+. It was named Battle for Stalingrad (I can read cyrillic) and it was created in 1949. Only saw a part of it.

It was quite unrealistic thought! When the Soviets launch their operation Uranus, the weather is absolutely perfect (if I recall well it was misty when the operation was launched) and they....are attacking Germans! So much for the brave stand of the Romanians...
                    "Beneath its gilded beauty, though, there lies a poorly designed game which rewards the greedy and violent, and punishes the hardworking and honest; and if you think about it, that's a good representation of capitalism" - Nightfreeze about Eve Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Phoenix View Post
                      I`ve seen a Russian movie or series on a channel called K+. It was named Battle for Stalingrad (I can read cyrillic) and it was created in 1949. Only saw a part of it.

It was quite unrealistic thought! When the Soviets launch their operation Uranus, the weather is absolutely perfect (if I recall well it was misty when the operation was launched) and they....are attacking Germans! So much for the brave stand of the Romanians...
                      I didn't see that movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Phoenix View Post
                        I`ve seen a Russian movie or series on a channel called K+. It was named Battle for Stalingrad (I can read cyrillic) and it was created in 1949. Only saw a part of it.
                        You are refering to "Сталинградская битва". It's not a great movie, but for its period its quite good. There are some really great actors in it: Nikolay Cherkasov (as President Roosevelt), Nikolay Simonov (as General Churkov), Rostislav Plyatt (german officer Gota), Nikolay Kruchkov (colonel Ivanov)
                        Last edited by amvas; 20 Oct 06, 01:27.

Comment

• In movies of 1940s the most valuable things are pictures of vehicles landscapes and uniform
                          If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrey View Post

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0151852/
                            "Osvobozhdeniye" (1970) (mini)
                            ("Liberation") - It is many part movie with same heroes, time of action - from Kursk battle to Berlin operation. There are some propaganda stamps but it is really epic movie.
                            Hey I just found the last part of this film , "The Battle of Berlin" for sale very cheap. I got it and will watch it and give you my impressions. I also plan to see the film "Flags of Our Fathers", though it will be different to compare the two, different times the films were made in, different wars (well essentially they were as WWII was almost several wars in one) though I expect both to be fairly good.

Comment

• http://unknown-war.com/

Here is the place where it is possible to buy 20-parts documentary movie "The Unknown war" about the actions in the Soviet-German Front. Its price is only 30$.

It is Soviet-British documentary. I remember how I saw this film when I was a boy. It was very impressive.

Read here more about it:
                              http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=23521

Comment

• I'll be glad if the people who saw Soviet/Russian military movies share their impression. It will be very useful.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X