Red Army graves ceremony cancelled after locals protest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Army graves ceremony cancelled after locals protest

Will these Polish "protestors" ever get over their notorious gonor and let it all go? There are many German cemeteries in Russia - what's the problem with Poland? Especially that there are no red stars or any hints at Communism or whatever.

http://www.thenews.pl/international/?id=137682

The inscription on the monument to the fallen soldiers who died at the Battle of Warsaw - sometimes known as the Miracle of the Vistula, when General Piludski’s troops fought back the western expansion of the Bolshevik revolution - says, in both Polish and Russian: “Here lies 22 soldiers from 235 and 236 Rifles and 79th Brigade who fell in the battle near Ossow on 14 and 15 August 1920”.

Local protestors, however, chanted “shame” before the unveiling ceremony, claiming that it was showing “contempt for Poles” where “fathers and grandfathers died. Do we have to have a monument here in honour of invaders”?
    Photo of the monument:

www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Yeah, how dare those Poles remember decades of invasions, occupation and brutal oppression by the greatest evil that the world has ever known! Who do they think they are!

Comment

And just who invaded who in that war ?
      “For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

Max Sterner

Comment

Originally posted by Erkki View Post
        And just who invaded who in that war ?
        Any nation that espouses Leninism by it's nature deserves to be attacked and destroyed with or without a traditional causus belli. That includes Barbarosa BTW

But SHAA is right here. They should leave the dead in peace.
        How many Allied tanks it would take to destroy a Maus?
        275. Because that's how many shells there are in the Maus. Then it could probably crush some more until it ran out of gas. - Surfinbird

Comment

But in this case I am not convinced that it had that much to do with Leninism
          “For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

Max Sterner

Comment

Erik, don't provoke our Polish (and American friends)

Initially Polish troops captured large territories of former Russian Empire (namely Western Ukraine and Byelorussia up to Minsk and Kiev).
            Then Soviet troops by counter-offensive forced Polish troops to retreat. But when Soviet troops tried to penetrate further up to Warsaw Polish troops in its turn "reborn" and defeated Soviet armies. So, until the year 1939 a part of Byelorussian and Ukrainian lands were under Polish rule. The USSR always considered that lands their own (which was true) and in 1939 used its chance to return them back. I am not going to start a historical dispute here how "clean" this deal was. That time hardly you can find "white and fluffy" politic in any significant country. The fact was Poland lost territories occupied in 1920 and a part of its native territories returned back to it after the WWII.

Lets stop historical dispute on this subject here, as I know enough Poles, who think lands "from sea to sea" are native Polish once since 12XX year...
            No wish to start another endless discussion on this subject...

Regards
            Alex
            If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Originally posted by Erkki View Post
              But in this case I am not convinced that it had that much to do with Leninism
              Oh that's very true, but Leninism and all it's veriants is so vile, you don't need a reason to attack them, much less a good one.
              How many Allied tanks it would take to destroy a Maus?
              275. Because that's how many shells there are in the Maus. Then it could probably crush some more until it ran out of gas. - Surfinbird

Comment

Yes we captured part of the lands Russian Empire took from us in 1793 and 1795. But hey anybody know that they were Moscowy's since Pleistocene.
                BTW Wolery acording to Pilsudzki 1920 war was against Russia whether Red or White it didn't mattered then; and Barbarossa was war of anihilation against all Slavs; the methods and aims were the same as in Poland or Yugoslavia and antibolshevik crusade was Goebels's propagand trick to lure western volunteers to Ostfront; Those countries I mentioned were enemies of comunism but still part of future German "Lebensraum".
                Kosovo is Serbian.
                I support United Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.
                Behead those who say Islam is violent!

Comment

Here's better photo. Look at the sign.

Written:
                  "Сдесь похоронено 23 солдата..."
                  "павших в бое".

Should be: "Здесь похоронены 23 солдата" and "павших в бою".
                  Last edited by Xander; 21 Aug 10, 13:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Xander View Post
                    Here's better photo. Look at the sign.

Written:
                    "павших в бое".

Yeah, and the name is spelled "Olssuv" instead of "Ossuv". This begs the question whether Russians had anything to do with the memorial at all. I wonder if it was the initiative of some local authorities - but what for? To bait local wingnuts on the picture?
                    www.histours.ru

Comment

Originally posted by Xander View Post
                      Written:
                      "павших в бое".

Originally posted by ShAA View Post
                      Yeah, and the name is spelled "Olssuv" instead of "Ossuv". This begs the question whether Russians had anything to do with the memorial at all. I wonder if it was the initiative of some local authorities - but what for? To bait local wingnuts on the picture?
                      Would someone be kind enough to translate the above for me?

Comment

Originally posted by Gorque View Post
                        Would someone be kind enough to translate the above for me?
                        "Here lay 22 soldiers of 235th and 236th rifle regiments of 79th Red Army brigade, who fell in battles for Ossuw on August 14 and 15, 1920"
                        www.histours.ru

Comment

Thank you for that.

Comment

Working...
                          X