Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How fast was the IS-2's turret traverse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How fast was the IS-2's turret traverse?

Hi,

I have been lurking on these forums for some time, but this is the first time I'm posting.

Does anyone happen to have any information on the IS-2's turret traverse? I'm working on a mod project, and I wish to portray the Russians as realistic as possible, so anything that might be of help is greatly appreciated.

Information on the T-26, T-60, T-70 and BT-7 tanks are also very welcome for that matter.

I have found this forum very useful for obtaining information on German and Western Allied tanks, but it seems as if information on Russian tanks is alot harder to come across.

Tips on books & authors are welcome too. Perhaps Zaloga has a book on the IS-2?

(Doubleposting here so no one thinks that I'm a bot because of my postcount.)

Comment

Originally posted by SS-Kommando View Post
      Hi,

I have been lurking on these forums for some time, but this is the first time I'm posting.

Does anyone happen to have any information on the IS-2's turret traverse? I'm working on a mod project, and I wish to portray the Russians as realistic as possible, so anything that might be of help is greatly appreciated.

Information on the T-26, T-60, T-70 and BT-7 tanks are also very welcome for that matter.
      D-25 gun of IS-2 had horizontal rotation velocity 13-16 deg./sec.
      (full rotation of the turret 22-28 sec.). Rotation was possible even when the list of tank was 15 deg.

For comparison: Pz. V and Pz VIB - 5-19 deg/sec
      Pz VIH - 11.2 deg/sec
      Also Kubinka experts mentioned that German tanks couldn't rotate turrets manually if their list was more than 5 deg. (IS-2's turret could be rotated manually in the case of 8.3 deg. list)

regards
      Alex
      If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Heh, I even decided to practice some Google-Fu for such specific request and here you are:
        The turret could be rotated either manually or by an electric gear motor. The speed of electric rotation was up to 2,4 revolutions per minute.
        http://translate.google.ru/translate...S2%2Fis2_2.php
        www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

Thanks alot for your answers, guys !

Comment

Originally posted by amvas View Post
            D-25 gun of IS-2 had horizontal rotation velocity 13-16 deg./sec.
            (full rotation of the turret 22-28 sec.). Rotation was possible even when the list of tank was 15 deg.

For comparison: Pz. V and Pz VIB - 5-19 deg/sec
            Pz VIH - 11.2 deg/sec
            Also Kubinka experts mentioned that German tanks couldn't rotate turrets manually if their list was more than 5 deg. (IS-2's turret could be rotated manually in the case of 8.3 deg. list)

regards
            Alex
            ..so, the IS-2 had a electric motor powering the turrent..???

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X