Encounters with the German Jet Aircraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Encounters with the German Jet Aircraft

Anyone have any knowledge of Soviet pilots seeing German jet aircraft? Was there any combat with them?

thanks

Interesting question. I've never read where Me-262s were utilized on the Eastern front. But most references to the plane are focused on the strategic bombing campaign, air superiority battles over Germany.

However, we do know that the Me-262 was primarily designated by the Fuehrer as a fighter-bomber, and there would have been ample opportunity to use it as such against the Russian behemoth at vulnerable places, such as bridges, ammo dumps, etc.

Great question!
    "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
    Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
      Anyone have any knowledge of Soviet pilots seeing German jet aircraft? Was there any combat with them?

thanks
      Not only seeng, but also knocking down some of those

Read (in Russia) for example here:
      http://www.allaces.ru/cgi-bin/s2.cgi/sssr/publ/05.dat
      Citing from this source:

First meeting - Feb. 14'1945 - 176th GIAP commander Tchupikov & Kumanichkin pilot

Knock down:
      1. Ivan Kozhedub (La-7) - Feb. 19'1945. over Oder. North from Frankfurt. Me-262 WNr.900284 (by German sources). Probably was from JG7

2. Garri Merkviladze - 152nd GIAP - Me-262

3. Lev Sivko (Yak-9) - 812nd IAP - Me-262 - Zehin (Sp.?) area. Mar. 22 18:40.
      Probably JG7 WNr 900192

4. Vladimir Yegorovich (Yak-9T) - Berlin. Apr. 1945 - Me-262

5. Ivan Kuznetsov (Yak-7) - Berlin area, Apr. 30 1945 - Me-262

6. Arseniy Vorozheykin (Yak-3) - Ar-234C3 (officially not counted in his victory list) - Berlin area

Regards
      Alex
      If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Amvas... spaciba. This is what I had hoped to find. So many myths to bust. This will speed things along.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X