Which would you take...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which would you take...

Would you take 2 T34 or 2 Shermans to take out a Tiger?
    2 T34s
    62.50%
    2 Shermans
    37.50%
    Last edited by Johnny_Reb; 02 Jun 10, 18:37.
    In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes
    - Benjamin Franklin, U.S. statesman, author, and scientist

Originally posted by Johnny_Reb View Post
    Would you take 2 T34 or 2 Shermans to take out a Tiger?
    Which model of either? There was a huge variation in performance between the various marks of each.

Comment

There was one interesting part in soviet soldier memoirs.
      They encountered Panther tank on commanding place. They send one T-34, but it was knocked-out. Same happened with the other.
      Then they sent lend-lease british Valentine tank around, and it knocked out Panther tank from the side.
      Why it succeeded? It was quieter than T-34 and it flanked Panther unnoticed.

So, it seems that place and circumstances play greater role than tank quality.

Comment

2 T-34/85s should be able to deal with a Panther, but then again, so should a couple of Fireflies.
        "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
        — Groucho Marx

Comment

Sorry about not describing it better. I have not done much study on tanks.
          In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes
          - Benjamin Franklin, U.S. statesman, author, and scientist

Comment

It seems like a six in one hand, half dozen in the other kind of equation. In the earlier models neither had a great gun for the job. In the later models the Sherman VC had the best anti-armor weapon in the 17pdr but both the 76mm and the 85mm could penetrate the Tiger as well.

Personally I'd select two Fireflys first, followed by two M4A3E8's, followed by two T34/85's.

Comment

Two T-34/57, one could draw fire while the other rammed the Tiger...
              “For there is nothing more serious than a lunatic when he comes to the central point of his lunacy.”

Max Sterner

Comment

Well, he didn't say that the Panther was sitting still.
                Could be even more dangerous on the move, so I picked the Shermans, and hope that they gyro-stabilizers are working on at least one of them.

Either way, it won't be much fun. Only 2 to 1? Give me the damn Panther!
                "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Catman View Post
                  2 T-34/85s should be able to deal with a Panther, but then again, so should a couple of Fireflies.
                  Generically i agree. But as noted above, many factors and varient capabilities to consider. Personally, I'll go 1-1 if i got a M26 (T26E)Pershing; even given power train to weight ratios problems vice engine performance and durability not to mention mobility. Good comments by all.

TD

Comment

Any tank is better than the Sherman, they brewed up easily, even from a shell bouncing off, it would cause the rivit's to pop and fly around like bullets, even the metal flaked and killed crewmen, the driver was trapped unless the turret was in a certain position. Not a good tank at all, but it won out by being more numerous than the enemy's

Comment

That depends entirely on the version. For an anti-tank situation, I would:
                      * Pick a T-34//76 over a M4A1 or M4A3 Sherman.
                      * Pick a M4A1-3(76)W Sherman over a T-34/85.
                      * Pick a Sherman VC Firefly over a M4A1-3(76)W Sherman.

I suppose I will vote for the Sherman considering the specifications of the Shermans equipped with high-velocity tank guns outclass those of the T-34/85.

Originally posted by Erkki View Post
                      Two T-34/57, one could draw fire while the other rammed the Tiger...
                      Well, to be fair the T-34/57s were relatively rare (approx. 300 produced IIRC), and if you go for too exotic versions, you could go with two Sherman Jumbos too (of which ~250 were produced). Their front armor was 102-140mm thick, so on some ranges they would be able to absorb frontal hits from the Tiger. Most of them were equipped with the standard 75mm M3, but ~100 were eventually given the 76mm HV tank gun.

Of course, the T-34/57 was designed to counter armored threats, while the Sherman Jumbo was used as an assault tank focusing primarily on soft targets.
                      Last edited by SS-Kommando; 24 Jun 10, 01:57.

Comment

Originally posted by SS-Kommando View Post
                        Well, to be fair the T-34/57s were relatively rare (approx. 300 produced IIRC), and if you go for too exotic versions, you could go with two Sherman Jumbos too (of which ~250 were produced). Their front armor was 102-140mm thick, so on some ranges they would be able to absorb frontal hits from the Tiger. Most of them were equipped with the standard 75mm M3, but ~100 were eventually given the 76mm HV tank gun.

Of course, the T-34/57 was designed to counter armored threats, while the Sherman Jumbo was used as an assault tank focusing primarily on soft targets.
                        TEN T-34-57 were produced and issued to the 22nd Tank Brigade in October 1941 outside Vladimir, where the brigade was destroyed. There were two prototypes tested in 1943, but not produced. The 57mm gun had superior armour penetration than the 76mm F-34, but an inferior HE charge, considered equally important.

Scott Fraser
                        Ignorance is not the lack of knowledge. It is the refusal to learn.

A contentedly cantankerous old fart

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Fraser View Post
                          TEN T-34-57 were produced and issued to the 22nd Tank Brigade in October 1941 outside Vladimir, where the brigade was destroyed. There were two prototypes tested in 1943, but not produced. The 57mm gun had superior armour penetration than the 76mm F-34, but an inferior HE charge, considered equally important.

Scott Fraser
                          Just 10 in total? Are you sure about that? It would be interesting to look it up more closely if you happen to have a source to show.

This is the quote, taken from English Wikipedia, that led me to believe that roughly 300 were produced anyhow:

"T-34/57 — Fewer than 324 T-34s in 1941 and 1943–44 were fitted with the ZiS-4 or the ZIS-4M high-velocity 57 mm gun to be used as tank hunters (Wachowski 2004). Some of them took part in the Battle of Moscow."

Comment

actually, i wouldnt mind sitting in the Panther watching you lot argue over whw will go out in what tank, end up getting bored of it all, and drive off..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SS-Kommando View Post
                              Just 10 in total? Are you sure about that? It would be interesting to look it up more closely if you happen to have a source to show.
                              10 T-34-57 were in the 21st Tank Brigade
                              Probably 8 more in the 8th tank brigade...
                              3 modified T-34-57 served in the special tank company "100" during the Kursk battle, but they had no fights with German tanks.

This is the quote, taken from English Wikipedia, that led me to believe that roughly 300 were produced anyhow:

"T-34/57 — Fewer than 324 T-34s in 1941 and 1943–44 were fitted with the ZiS-4 or the ZIS-4M high-velocity 57 mm gun to be used as tank hunters (Wachowski 2004). Some of them took part in the Battle of Moscow."
                              Incorrect data.
                              In 1941 only 21 ZIS-4 guns were received by the Kharkov plant..

Regards
                              Alex
                              If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X