Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carl Schwamberg
    replied
    Thought to kick this topic back to the top in the hope of some additional comment. My primary research is in firecontrol, the command techniques as well as the equipment. perhaps some expert on the RKKA or soviet Army methods of that era can comment?

Leave a comment:

• Barbarossa
    replied
    No maps

Originally posted by Zamme View Post
    As I understand it was the Russian sights a slightly limited in such tank type. How was the case with artelleri fired?:
    What I am wondering how they could run with the opportunities to target the right position?
    Or they just took aim simply for a specified point on the map, for a while, and hoped that the enemy had stayed until the information had reached them where they could fire the shots?
    No maps. In the "Red Army Handbook" (Zaloga & Ness) it states, "The Red Armies artillery was never known for its' sophisticated tactics, but its' heavy application". S&T states that it never progressed past WWI tactics.
    From reading numerous accounts, I'd have to agree with them.
    Normally, it fired in the direct fire mode. Indirect fire was accomplished using an observer in an elevated position or, an aircraft observation platform.

Leave a comment:

• Carl Schwamberg
    replied
    Anyone here who can post some illustrations of the artillery sights & fire control equipment? Or point to where these can be seen?

Leave a comment:

• Carl Schwamberg
    replied
    Originally posted by Zamme View Post
    As I understand it was the Russian sights a slightly limited in such tank type. How was the case with artelleri fired?:
    What I am wondering how they could run with the opportunities to target the right position?
    Or they just took aim simply for a specified point on the map, for a while, and hoped that the enemy had stayed until the information had reached them where they could fire the shots?
    There are real experts other than I lurking here. What I can tell you is the technical skill of the artillery was at a low level in 1941-42 and increased to a much higher level through 1943-44.

One of several problems in 1941 was the hastily mobilized reservists who fought the battles from August through December had little or no time to bring their skills to the required level. From the start the RKKA had to train its artillery leaders in between combat operations, and expand greatly its schools for replacing the men lost in the catastrophe of 1941.

It is clear from the descriptions of ordinary German soldiers the RKKA or Soviet army artillery had recovered much technical skill by 1943. Werner Adamcyzk a artillery gunner in the 20th Motorized Division describes the German artillery as dominated by the Soviet much of the time in 1943-45.

Hopefully some other can fill in the details for you.

Leave a comment:

• Zamme
    started a topic Artelleri control

Artelleri control

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X