Looking for information on P.M.Arman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for information on P.M.Arman

I'm reading up on Operation Mars and found that the commander of the 6th Tank Corps, P.M. Arman was quite famous from his actions in the Spanish Civil War, commanding T-26's in the defense of Madrid and later actions.

I've gathered he was Latvian, studied engineering in Paris, Pavel (Paul) Arman was a name he assumed while in Soviet service, and he seems to have been killed in action in 1943, which means he was one of those that survived Rhzev. He appears to have been awarded the Hero of the Soviet Union, but I have conflicting accounts of when this was (one says for his bravery in Spain, another says posthumously in 1943).

He seems to be an interesting and colourful character - does anyone have more information about his life and career?

thanks,

Mark Dewis

I know Paul Matissovich Arman was once also the commander of the 11th Tank Brigade. He died in 1943 on the Volkhov front.

There is an article which mentions him here in 1936 in Spain

http://www.chas-daily.com/win/forum/...5&t=206825&v=f
    Last edited by Skoblin; 11 Mar 10, 11:11.

Comment

Originally posted by rinku View Post
      I'm reading up on Operation Mars and found that the commander of the 6th Tank Corps, P.M. Arman was quite famous from his actions in the Spanish Civil War, commanding T-26's in the defense of Madrid and later actions.

I've gathered he was Latvian, studied engineering in Paris, Pavel (Paul) Arman was a name he assumed while in Soviet service, and he seems to have been killed in action in 1943, which means he was one of those that survived Rhzev. He appears to have been awarded the Hero of the Soviet Union, but I have conflicting accounts of when this was (one says for his bravery in Spain, another says posthumously in 1943).

He seems to be an interesting and colourful character - does anyone have more information about his life and career?

thanks,

Mark Dewis
      Do you have Glantz's book Zhukov's Greatest Defeat - The Red Army's Epic Disaster in Operation Mars, 1942? Glantz's book doesn't provide a biographical sketch IIRC, but Arman's role in the battle is discussed in much detail.

RN Armstrong might have some details on Arman, or, if not he might be able to point you to some sources. He has written a book on Red Army Tank Commanders and is a frequent poster here.

Comment

I might be induced into translating the article I posted on Arman's role in Spain if members find this interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by skoblin View Post
          I might be induced into translating the article I posted on Arman's role in Spain if members find this interesting.
          You're a prince Skoblin!
          Seriously, I would read it for sure if you do so, but unless there is a big groundswell, don't just do it for my sake.

Comment

biography of P.M.Arman (he was temporary commander of the 6th Tank Corps while its commander was ill)

http://www.warheroes.ru/hero/hero.asp?Hero_id=970

Please translate anybody for our Australian friend. I'm busy right now ro do this

Regards
            Alex

P.S.
            http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Арман_П.
            says he was killed by sniper
            Last edited by amvas; 11 Mar 10, 12:20.
            If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

Originally posted by amvas View Post
              Please translate anybody for our Australian friend. I'm busy right now ro do this

Regards
              Alex
              Done

Arman Pol' Matisovich
              4. 4. 1903 - 7. 8. 1943
              Hero of the Soviet Union

Pol' Matisovich Arman (Paul Tyltyn') was the commander of a company of T-26 tanks in the Spanish Republican forces, with the rank of captain.

He was born on 4 April 1903 to a peasant family on the Mittelhof estate, now in the Bauskas district of Latvia. As a teenager, he lived several years in France, where he obtained his first identification papers, with the unusal name of Pol' Arman. He was one of the organisers of the Union of Youth in the town of Jelgava in Latvia. He finished his secondary schooling and graduated from the Radio Institute. Between 1924-1925 he served in the Latvian bourgeois army. In 1926, he moved to the USSR.

He joined the Red Army in 1926 and became a member of the All-Russian Communist Party (Bolsheviks) in 1927. In 1928, he graduated from the Moscow Military Infantry School and completed his final courses for military-technical staff at the Red Army's Military Academy of Mechanisation and Motorisation. He commanded in turn a tank platoon and a tank company and in 1935 became the commander of a tank battalion of the 4th Mechanised Brigade.

In 1936, he took part in the national revolutionary war of the Spanish people and displayed extraordinary courage, self-control and initiative during combat. He also took part in the first tank battle in the world. On 29 October 1936, during fighting near the town of Seseña, 30 kilometers south of the Spanish capital of Madrid, Captain “Grejze” (P. M. Arman's nom de guerre in Spain) led his tank company in a suprise attack against the enemy. Grejze-Arman personally destroyed three tanks and killed many of the enemy. He continued to command the actions of the company while still inside a burning tank and suffering from a concussion.

Grejze-Arman's subordinate, Semyon Osadchiy, performed the first ever tank ramming, driving an Italian Fiat-Ansaldo tank into a crater.

In total, on this day Grejze-Arman's group destroyed and dispersed some two squadrons of cavalry and two battalions of infantry, knocked out 12 guns, two or three dozen transport vehicles with their loads, and several tanks.

On 31 December 1936, Pol' Matisovich Arman was named a Hero of the Soviet Union for “fulfilling a special task of the government”. He was subequently given the Gold Star, No. 27.

Upon returning from Spain in 1937, Major P. M. Arman was appointed commander of the 5th Mechanised Brigade. However, he was arrested on 2 February 1937 on charges of espionage and would spend two years in prison, undergoing interrogation. It was only on 21 June 1939 that he would be released by order of a special meeting of the NKVD USSR on the grounds of a “lack of evidence of the charges”.

From September 1939, he was a student at the M. V. Frunze Military Academy. In 1940, he was promoted to the rank of colonel. Graduating from the Academy in May 1941, Colonel P. M. Arman was appointed as Deputy Commander of the 51st Tank Division of the Moscow Military District. It was in this post that the war found him.

During the Great Patriotic War, he commanded the 11th Tank Brigade, and was the commander of the armoured and mechanised forces of the 4th Army. On 12 March 1943, he became the commander of the 122nd Tank Brigade.

On 7 August 1943, he was killed at the village of Porech'e, in the Kirov district, Leningrad province. He was buried in the town of Volkhov, Leningrad province.

He was awarded the Order of Lenin and the Order of the Fatherland War, 1st Class.
              Last edited by Skoblin; 11 Mar 10, 13:52.

Comment

Thx, Skoblin!
                If you fire a rifle at the past, the future will fire a cannon at you.....

Comment

BIG thanks to all! That's just what I was after.

I had a sneaking suspicion he might have had some time under NKVD care upon returning to Russia, but it sounds like he fared better than many, since he was back serving before the war started.

I was planning on getting the Glantz book in any case, but looking at the index on Amazon it definitely seems to have a lot of detail on Arman's part of the operation.

(I've also discovered that Google Translate does a pretty good job on Russian - that ru.wikipedia.org article came through very readably).

Thanks to all again, especially skoblin!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X