T-70; better as an APC.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks AMVAS, that was well-timed!

I will get to work on that as soon as I can, got a busy week coming up, so it might take a little while.

I did not pick the T-70 on a lark, its the right weight-class and did not have an impressive record in it's original form. From what I have seen, it is the tank that the Red Army could have done most easily without.
    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
      I did not pick the T-70 on a lark, its the right weight-class and did not have an impressive record in it's original form. From what I have seen, it is the tank that the Red Army could have done most easily without.
      Everything is relative, I suppose. like the SU-76, they were tempermental, unreliable, cramped, hot, dark and quite toxic to drive around in, what with two engines running inches away.

Still, it had 45mm sloped armour and a 45mm gun that enough for a little tank or a halftrack. And it was infinitely better than the T-60. If the T-70 was a nasty, the T-60 was ghastly.

It could be built on the same basis, though, in truck factories rather than in tank factories. Again it goes back to the industrial structure, and making the most of what they could muster. These were simple, extremely simple, in almost every way. Hulls were welded from plate steel, butt joints with little machining, and sent down a truck assembly line to get two truck engines in a cantankerous installation and a gun. I would not want to drive one, myself. I have only respect for the bravery of those who did.

I knew they had lots of them, but 8200 is more than lots, especially over sixteen months of production. I'm surprised. They were totally outclassed by the 50mm L/60 or the 75mm L/43, and got slaughtered whenever they encountered German tanks, and I don't know that they lasted much beyond 1943. Sticking a decent gun in them may not have been that bad an idea, considering the options.

There was a very good book published in 2006 by M.Svirin and M.Kolomiets published by Frontline Illustrated (in Russian) reprinted by Wydawnictwo Militaria (in Polish).

Cheers
      Scott Fraser
      Ignorance is not the lack of knowledge. It is the refusal to learn.

A contentedly cantankerous old fart

Comment

Yes, the T-70 must ahve seemed like a world-beater compared to the light tanks that came before it, and it LOOKS like a good tank from the outside.
        But then I heard about the one-man turret with a cannon that was not fed from a magazine, and I knew what was coming before I read much further.

By drawings will have to wait a while, got more work than I had thought. See you weekend after next.
        "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Curiously Soviets did experimented with Т-26 and BT-7 before the war in order to create a few APC/IFV in particular ТR-1 and ТR-4 which could accommodate up to 15 soldiers.

And accidentally I run on something that might interest you.Few guys decided that SU-76 was a better design,due to lengthened and widened version of the T-70 tank chassis.I think they took a bit of inspiration from post war BMP-1.

It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge.

Косово је Србија!
          Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

Armored Brigade

Armored Brigade Facebook page

Comment

Bump after almost two years.

Red Army did some armored personnel carrier projects post 1945,and simplest of proposed designs was K-75 developed in 1947.It was an open topped transporter with capacity of 17 troops and 10-15mm of armor,7,5 tons,developed by Col. A.F. Kravtsov at Moscow Engineers Workshop,and it was essentially based on T-70 with stretched chassis.
            It was not accepted in service,however single prototype can be seen at Kubinka.

It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge.

Косово је Србија!
            Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

Armored Brigade

Armored Brigade Facebook page

Comment

I can't believe that a whole 2 years went by already, or that I forgot all about this one!

I drew up one that was an un-modified from the T-70 chassis as a Scout vehicle with one Heavy machine gun and 3 scouts, and another with the SU-76 chassis with room for a full squad of 10 men with side protection up to their helmets.
              And then I lost the drawings...

Anyhow, the problem with the T-70 was the pair of engines, one on the side, that made a redesign a serious project.
              As soon as the war was over, the USSR came around to the point of view that APCs were more valuable than light tanks.
              "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Wasn't the T-26T used as an APC occasionally?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X